X doesn't start after kernel update with AMD Catalyst (fglrx)

Hello. Does anybody have issue after yesterday upgrade to 3.18.3-2 kernel? Can’t start X. Have

fglrx64_xpic_SUSETUMBLEWEED
fglrx64_amdcccle_SUSETUMBLEWEED
fglrx64_core_SUSETUMBLEWEED
fglrx64_graphics_SUSETUMBLEWEED
fglrx64_opencl_SUSETUMBLEWEED

installed
from

http://geeko.ioda.net/mirror/amd-fglrx/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/

repository.
Got

$DISPLAY is not set or cannot connect to X server

while typing “startkde”.

“startkde” needs a running X session already, you cannot run it in text mode.

Try “startx” instead (as root). Does this work?

If not, please post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

But if the driver worked with kernel 3.18.3-1, it should just as well work with 3.18.3-2. Both are actually the same kernel, just the package has been rebuilt without a change.

Same here. I ended up uninstalling the fgl rpms and re-installing the key xorg files to get a working desktop.

I see a 13.1 and 13.2 xorg repositories. Try to use those. I’m in the same problem, but right now I can not try them.
Maybe is xorg problem compatibility.

vinsay.com/top-things-need-to-do-after-installing-opensuse-13-2/

Same problem here : I’ve done a zypper up today and my X server is broken with amd…
I only can use Intel driver (i’m on a hybrid AMD-Intel GPU netbook). All was Ok before and I don’t know what to do.
I tried OpenSuSE packages and AMD officlal one and nothing is working…

To get your desktop working again just logon as root and start yast2. Then remove the fgl packages. Once done re-install the key xorg rpms, re-start your p/c and you should be sorted.

Thanks for your answer. I will try this evening. So, I remove fgl packages and after, I reinstall key xorg rpms : but what are “key xorgs rpms” exactly ? Sorry, I don’t get it precisely…

If you installed fglrx via the RPM packages, you should not need to reinstall any “key xorg rpms”.
But those would basically be xorg-x11-server and Mesa-libGL1. And of course you should install xf86-video-intel and xf86-video-ati if you uninstalled one of them for whatever reason.

I think the problem now is that Tumbleweed switched to Kernel 3.19, which is not yet supported by fglrx (not even the packages/Sebastian Siebert’s script; and apparently nvidia doesn’t work either any more, or so I’ve heard).

Thanks again for all explainations. I have now 2 kernels on my computer : 3.18.3 and 3.19. The first one was a month old. I tried to boot from eahc of them and the X server is always broken when I try to use AMD driver (I checked the official version and the rpms for OpenSuSE).
So, the support for 3.19 kernel is completely broken but i should be able to roll back to 3.18 and have my AMD driver wordking : good news. All was OK before my last zypper up from this week-end… No luck !

No idea.
The OP here implies that the update to kernel 3.18.3-2 already broke fglrx (on Feb. 18th). As I already wrote I can’t fully believe this, as kernel-3.18.3-2 should be exactly the same as 3.18.3-1.
Maybe some other update might have broken it?

All was OK before my last zypper up from this week-end… No luck !

Well, then it definitely worked with kernel 3.18.3, unless you haven’t updated for a while before that.

Do you still have the necessary kernel-devel packages installed as well for 3.18.3?
Then I would try to remove kernel 3.19 and fglrx, and install fglrx fresh again.

My new tries have failed…
I did a new zypper up and a lot of new files wre installed, with kernel 3.19.0.2.But I lost kernel 3.18 and I’m unable to find it in repoes…
I tried to reinstall fglrx and after reboot my X was broken agian.
So I desinstalled all fglrx and my W went back (running Intel driver).
I will try to install the official Catalyst driver and report here.

That will be futile I’m afraid…

The official driver (at least the stable release) won’t even work with Kernel 3.17 and 3.18 AFAIK. At least the openSUSE packages contain a patch to make it work with those kernel versions.

Kernel 3.18 is available from some home repos, or you could try with openSUSE’s 13.2 kernel (3.16.7). They should work fine with Tumbleweed as well.
See openSUSE Software

On 02/23/2015 03:26 PM, nico g wrote:
>
> My new tries have failed…
> I did a new zypper up and a lot of new files wre installed, with kernel
> 3.19.0.2.But I lost kernel 3.18 and I’m unable to find it in repoes…
> I tried to reinstall fglrx and after reboot my X was broken agian.
> So I desinstalled all fglrx and my W went back (running Intel driver).
> I will try to install the official Catalyst driver and report here.
>
>

Since you don’t tell us which version of openSuSE you use we can only
guess it is TumbleWeed due to your question being in this forum.

If that is the case you should only use

code

zypper dup

to update your system.

Ken

No luck with Catalyst officlal installer : always the same erro at the end : fglrx_di.so : file exists.
I tried to erase all fglrx_di.so files and even without any of it, I always get the same error at the end of installation.
I don’t know what to do…
I think I have to wait for next version of driver :frowning:

Thanks for all last answers.
I must fix my last post :
No luck with Catalyst officlal installer : always the same error at the end : fglrx_dri.so : file exists.
I tried to erase all fglrx_dri.so files and even without any of it, I always get the same error at the end of installation.
I don’t know what to do…
I think I have to wait for next version of driver :frowning:

I will try another ideas tomorrow

I think I need the repo to be updated :
http://geeko.ioda.net/mirror/amd-fglrx/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/x86_64/
If i can help testinf some beta versions, feel free to give them to me and I will report here.

Again, fglrx does not support Kernel 3.19, and it doesn’t even support Kernel 3.17 and Kernel 3.18 (the repo contains patches for that).

What’s needed would be a patch to fix fglrx with kernel 3.19.
Do you have one?

Or AMD would need to release a new fglrx version that does support the latest kernels.

Without that the repo cannot be updated. (well, it can, but it wouldn’t change anything…)

Sorry, i don’t have any patch… I’ve heard that AMD will release a new version very soon : for windows it seems to be available at a certain point (not in the official website).

I just noticed that Sebastian Siebert recently updated his fglrx installer script (makerpm-amd-14.12.sh, which is also used to create the packages in the repo) to support kernel 3.19:
https://www.sebastian-siebert.de/2014/12/12/opensuse-proprietaeren-grafik-treiber-amd-catalyst-14-12-als-rpm-installieren/

Translation:

[UPDATE 21.02.2015]
The packaging script has been updated. Now Kernel 3.19 is supported. Many thanks go to Henrik Stamm for the patch.
[/UPDATE 21.02.2015]

So you might try this.
Here are english instructions for how to use it: SDB:AMD fglrx - openSUSE Wiki

And please report back whether it works…