wvdial: cannot open dev/USB0: no such file or directory

Hello Folks,
I just installed openSUSE 12.1 and am having problems configuring my Reliance data card, Model: HUAWEI EC159, to connect to the internet.
The command lsusb detects the data card and I also added the module using modprobe. The required changes to the /etc/wvdial.conf have also been made.

Contents of wvdial.conf

[Dialer Defaults]
New PPPD = yes
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Baud = 460800
New PPPD = yes
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
ISDN = 0
Username = 9349359456
Password = 9349359456
Phone = #777
Stupid Mode = 1
Compuserv = 0
Auto DNS = 1
Dial Command = ATDT
Ask Password = 0
Check Def Route = 1
Idle Seconds = 30

Now when I type the command wvdial from the terminal, I get the response
----> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
----> Cannot open /dev/ttyUSB0: No such file or directory

How can I resolve this problem?
Please help.

With Regards
Avyanan

With your device connected, what is reported via

dmesg|tail

and

ls- l /dev/ttyUSB*

Have you tried seeing if the network manager handles the device correctly? Using ‘wvdial’ is usually reserved as a last resort these days.

dmesg|tail 4460.918592] usb 2-1.5: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=4 4460.918595] usb 2-1.5: Product: HUAWEI Mobile 4460.918597] usb 2-1.5: Manufacturer: HUAÿWEI TECHNOLOGIES 4460.918600] usb 2-1.5: SerialNumber: ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ 4460.919156] scsi4 : usb-storage 2-1.5:1.0 4461.920654] scsi 4:0:0:0: CD-ROM HUAWEI Mass Storage 2.31 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0 4461.929642] sr1: scsi-1 drive 4461.929790] sr 4:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr1 4461.929886] sr 4:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 5 4539.485222] usb 2-1.5: USB disconnect, device number 4 which means that it is detecting my data card. ls -l /dev/tty/USB* cannot access /dev/tty/USB*: No such file or directory And by the way how can I access network manager in openSUSE 12.1?? Please help.

Please note that nibiran and avyanan are the same.

Read the documentation :slight_smile: this should help :
Chapter

@nibiran

1. You should only be using one account.
  2. The output from any commands you execute is much easier to read when you use code tags:
, then the output, then close with /CO...

The dmesg output is typical of a lot of Huawei devices, which present as a storage device first. The modem interface can be exposed by using a utility such as 'usb_modeswitch'.

The following link to a guide might be of help help:

http://sajjad.in/2011/10/getting-an-huawei-ec159-usb-modem-working-on-ubuntu-11-04/

It refers to Ubuntu 11.04, but can easily be applied to openSUSE as well. You'll need to install the 'usb_modeswitch' package first.

http://software.opensuse.org/package/usb_modeswitch

The link that you provided had a link for usb-modeswitch-123.tar.bz2. That seems to be the one to be installed. But when I extract the file it has no contents.
I also downloaded usb-modeswitch-data-20120120 from the link that you provided but unfortunately that program requires usb-modeswitch to be installed. So I dont know where to go from here. I remember you mentioning Network Manager. Where can I find it in openSUSE12.1. Maybe that would make things easier. In the meantime I am going through the ‘chapter’ that Greg provided.

Please help
Regards
Avyanan

The link that you provided had a link for usb-modeswitch-123.tar.bz2. That seems to be the one to be installed. But when I extract the file it has no contents.
I also downloaded usb-modeswitch-data-20120120 from the link that you provided but unfortunately that program requires usb-modeswitch to be installed.

You don’t need to install from a tarball. I also gave you a link to software.opensuse.org, where you can install the required packages for openSUSE:

software.opensuse.org:

I remember you mentioning Network Manager. Where can I find it in openSUSE12.1. Maybe that would make things easier. In the meantime I am going through the ‘chapter’ that Greg provided.

Good idea. A little effort by yourself now will make this a lot easier for you in the long term.

Enabling the NM:

http://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/html/openSUSE/opensuse-reference/cha.nm.html#sec.nm.activate

Using NM:

http://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/html/openSUSE/opensuse-reference/cha.nm.html

Going through chapter. No leads so far

the opensuse link has link for downloading usb_modeswitch. it has an .ymp extension. How to i go about installing it. do i have t//??o access it after getting onto YAST??

It’s an openSUSE one click installer file. Normally You should double click it and it should work. You need internet connection for it.
openSUSE:One Click Install - openSUSE

On 2012-05-26 08:56, nibiran wrote:
>
> the opensuse link has link for downloading usb_modeswitch. it has an
> ymp extension. How to i go about installing it. do i have t//??o access
> it after getting onto YAST??

The package is included in the DVD, for instance. Just open yast, search
using the search box for “usb_modeswitch”, select install. Easy!

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Not that it answers the original question here at all but…
For what its worth I find modemmanager to be a useful getting my cdma modem working with networkmanager.
**modemmanager
**DBus interface for modem handling. Provides a standard abstracted API
(over DBus) to communicate with all sorts of modems (landline, GSM,
CDMA).
software.opensuse.org:
Not sure if its included on the big DVD don’t have the pipes to download that one.

installed the .ymp package using 1-click. what do i have to next, please help

The supported devices depend on the usb_modeswitch version. I’m not an expert by any means, but it is often possible to get this utility to recognise (via udev rules) and handle your device chipset to expose the modem anyway. Lets see if usb_modeswitch can do the necessary with a bit of manual help to start with…

Get the vendor and product IDs for your Huwei device when plugged in. Enter the following commend in a terminal

lsusb

Now become root with

su -

Enter your root password when prompted. For example, if you have the following chipset IDs reported

usb_modeswitch -H -v 0x12d1 -p 0x1505

With luck your modem device should now be visible. Check to see if the product ID has changed

lsusb

You may need to reload the usbserial driver to

modprobe -r usbserial
modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x....

If all is well, check if /dev/ttyUSB* exists

ls -l /dev/ttyUSB*