WUSB54G v.1 still not wworking satisfactory

For the earlier chapter of this history I refer to Linsys WUSB54G, parameters cannot be set - openSUSE Forums
In short, I first tried with 11.0, then reverted to 10.3 and as a networkless install from the CD left me without much usefull tools (like lsusb) we rebuild the house to get a wired connecction during install. So the situation is a fully updated 10.3 and a WUSB54G (no version mentioned on it, so probably v.1) 5041:2234. I tried several options:

Driver p54usb.
This seems to be the normal solution for this type of card. Indeed the kernel tries to load it during boot, but complains it can not find firmware isl3890usb. I downloaded a file named 2.5.8.0.arm from the Prism website and moved it to /lib/modules/2.6…/kernel/drivers/firmware/isl3890usb.
At a reboot the compaint is gone and an lsmod shows p54usb to be loaded.
Trying with YaST to configure a new card (wireless, driver: p54usb, etc.) does not lead to iwconfig seeing any wireless device. So I gave up on this and reverted to

ndiswrapper.
Installed ndiswrapper (from the 10.3 OSS repo). Got the windows drivers. Did ndiswrapper -i …inf . Now ndiswrapper -l shows the wusb54 driver loaded, but complaints about the p54usb module being there. As earlier attempts to blacklist pusb54 failed (do not know why, wrong blacklist file?), I simply removed the isl3890usb firmware file so p54usb will not load anymore. Now ndiswrapper tells the driver is loaded and the device is there.
Used YaST (Traditional Method wth ifup) to provide all parameters. As in the other thread iwconfig sees it, but ESSID is not filled in. iwscan gives several networks in the neighbourhood. Also using iwconfig to set ESSID does not result in it being shown (it stays any/…). No connection.

Next step: Knetworkmanager
In YaST I changed the method to User Controled with Networkmanager. Deleted the card from YaST. Started Knetworkmanager. Adding the parameters (ESSID, WAP-PSK, Pass phrase) does connect, we get an IP address and it works. This looks like Alls 's well that ends well, BUT

ndiswrapper will not reload on reboot. I forgot to ndiswrapper -m, but after doing this ndiswrapper still does not load automaticaly. There is a file with the name ndiswrapper in /etc/modprobe.d/ with contents ‘alias wlan0 ndiswrapper’, wich is correct IMO. Well the device is now reported as wlan1 (we changed to another box because we did not trust it), but changing wlan0 to wlan1 does not help in loading ndiswrapper at boot.

And
I am not satisfied with this using of Networkmanager by the user. This may be the right practice for a laptop user traveling around, but this is a desktop system. It should connect to its router and the internet at boot (to use NTP for example) and the user who happens to log in should not be bothered by making the connection.

Any enlightning comments on any of the subjects I am wrestling with are as always very welcome.

Regards,

to get ndiswrapper to load on-boot, go to YaST - system - /etc/sysconfig editor - modules_loaded_on_boot & type ndiswrapper in there.

Andy

Thanks Andy, I will try that asap (the system is in my friends house) and report back.

Using YaST for marking ndiswrapper to be loaded worked. Thanks again Andy.

As mentioned earlier connecting and using the WUSB54G works when using Knetworkmanager. I will thankfully accpet any suggestions how to get it working using ‘Traditional ifup’ to the point where the network can be started at boot (runlevel 3) as is normally done in a cabled environment.

BTW I now have a strange, maybe hardware, problem with the system. The connection is interrupted every few minutes. We reverted to XP, but it does more or less the same. And when my friend knocked havily on the system (while running XP) it showed a BSD and started writing dumps to the disks >:( >:( .
So it might be possible that I cannot try/implement all your usefull suggestions at short notice :wink:

hcw,
I’m interested in this post because I struggling with the same issues you did. I seem to be stuck at your first step. I have not successfully gotten the p54usb module to load the firmware. Since I’m a newbee in Linux, can you be more specific about the renaming of the isl3890usb file? I have downloaded the 2.13.1.0.arm.1 file from the prism54.org site but I’m not sure whether you created a directory called isl3890usb in the /lib/modules/2.6…/kernel/drivers/firmware… or if you renamed the “arm” file to isl3890usb and placed it in the “firmware” directory. To date, I have not successfully had the p54usb module find the firmware. I’m thinking it’s either named wrong, in the wrong place or both. Using dmesg and trying to hotplug the Linksys WUSB54G, I continue to get the message: p54usb: cannot find firmware (isl3890usb)! I am running Suse 11.1 and KDE4.1. Can you be very specific about the file names and locations? Thanks in advanced!

jstaffon wrote:
> hcw,
> I’m interested in this post because I struggling with the same issues
> you did. I seem to be stuck at your first step. I have not successfully
> gotten the p54usb module to load the firmware. Since I’m a newbee in
> Linux, can you be more specific about the renaming of the isl3890usb
> file? I have downloaded the 2.13.1.0.arm.1 file from the prism54.org
> site but I’m not sure whether you created a directory called isl3890usb
> in the /lib/modules/2.6…/kernel/drivers/firmware… or if you renamed
> the “arm” file to isl3890usb and placed it in the “firmware” directory.
> To date, I have not successfully had the p54usb module find the
> firmware. I’m thinking it’s either named wrong, in the wrong place or
> both. Using dmesg and trying to hotplug the Linksys WUSB54G, I continue
> to get the message: p54usb: cannot find firmware (isl3890usb)! I am
> running Suse 11.1 and KDE4.1. Can you be very specific about the file
> names and locations? Thanks in advanced!

The .arm file needs to be placed in /lib/firmware as a file named
isl3980usb. Use the command

sudo cp 2.13.1.0.arm.1 /lib/firmware/isl3890usb

Larry