Writing a working live USB - boot errors

Hi,

I wanted to try opensuse, but can’t get a working live USB. I’ve tried writing the Gnome ISO a number of times and get a variety of boot errors. I’ve checked the hashsum of the download and it matches.

I’ve tried writing it about 4 times, and got different boot errors each time: “failed to mount root filesystem”; a kernel panic; etc.

I once got a booted system that then started crashing when I tried to use any applications or the installer, in a manner that made me suspect missing/corrupt files (e.g. terminal commands were giving s/th like “/usr/bin/ls: error”).

I’ve tried writing it using dd (dd if=openSUSE-12.3-GNOME-Live-x86_64.iso of=/dev/sdb), and even tried the ImageWriter programme (from here) on a Windows machine, but none have worked.
I’m booting via UEFI, with secure boot disabled. I’ve used the same USB recently to boot other distributions without issue.

Is there an alternative method to get a working live USB, or have I missed something?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I always used imagewriter for installations of 11.4,12.1,12.2,12.3 and it never failed for me.

I once got a booted system that then started crashing when I tried to  use any applications or the installer, in a manner that made me suspect  missing/corrupt files (e.g. terminal commands were giving s/th like  "/usr/bin/ls:  error").

Did you try booting into live system? If yes,did it work well?Did all applications open etc?

I always used imagewriter for installations of 11.4,12.1,12.2,12.3 and it never failed for me.

This gave me the worst results, in that it didn’t even seem to find the root filesystem that time. It went looping through block devices - can’t remember exactly, but something like “for i in /dev/sd*” etc. kept looping.

Did you try booting into live system? If yes,did it work well?Did all applications open etc?

Should have clarified - I have been trying to boot the live system. The time I got it booted I got to a gnome desktop, but nothing further worked.

From all the variation in problems, it really seems like the USB equivalent of a bad burn every time, but I’m not sure what else I can try.

It might be a GPU issue. Try booting in safe mode

Is imagewriter useful to write DVD images or it’s limited to live images? :\

imagwriter works for both live and dvd images