Won't boot unless ESC key is pressed first

Hi, long time lurker here

I’m running 11.0 on my tablet PC and it’s been ‘fun’ setting up, to say the least. There are a few persistent problems and I’ve been googling, tweaking, and fixing for about 2 weeks now.

1. The main one is that Linux will refuse to boot unless i’m watching the boot process (pressing ESC at the beginning), which is odd.

2. When it is actually booting, the boot process is slowed considerably by bunch of messages coming from Ata:

ata1.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen
ata1.00: cmd c8/00:08:88:b5:5f/00:00:00:00:00/e1 tag 0 dma 4096 in
         res 40/00:00:00:00:00/00:00:00:00:00/00 Emask 0x4 (timeout)
ata1.00: status: { DRDY }
ata1: soft resetting link
ata1.00: configured for UDMA/33
ata1: EH complete
  1. USB devices aren’t detected which of course, is a fairly annoying problem. Tested with my iPod and an Arduino.

Just to mix things up a little, points #1 and #2 disappear if the internal wifi is disabled before booting!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

• deadlokIV wrote, On 03/19/2009 10:26 PM:

> 1. The main one is that Linux will refuse to boot unless i’m watching
> the boot process (pressing ESC at the beginning), which is odd.

Indeed. Add the kernel option “splash=verbose” when you boot. Does that make a difference?

> 2. When it -is- actually booting, the boot process is slowed
> considerably by bunch of messages coming from Ata:
>
> Code:
> --------------------
> ata1.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen
> ata1.00: cmd c8/00:08:88:b5:5f/00:00:00:00:00/e1 tag 0 dma 4096 in
> res 40/00:00:00:00:00/00:00:00:00:00/00 Emask 0x4 (timeout)
> ata1.00: status: { DRDY }
> ata1: soft resetting link
> ata1.00: configured for UDMA/33
> ata1: EH complete
> --------------------

Verify the UDMA settings in the BIOS, as well as the master/slave/cable select jumpers of the drive.

> 3. USB devices aren’t detected which of course, is a fairly annoying
> problem. Tested with my iPod and an Arduino.

In the GUI?
If you open a console, become root and do
tail -f /var/log/messages
do you see something when you plug in a USB device? I’ll ignore the Arduino for now, that seems to be more complicated than let’s say a thumb drive.

> Just to mix things up a little, points #1 and #2 disappear if the
> internal wifi is disabled before booting!

Terribly confusing. I’d expect more errors upon boot, can you check the logs please?

Uwe

Thanks for the reply, and sorry for the lateness of mine.

Actually yes, I tried the verbose option shortly after posting ‘Great minds’]. Thankfully that worked around the problem, at the expense of a pretty loading screen.
I then did a cat of the usb messages not long after, and found a lot of what looked like acpi/irq screw-ups further up. It would find the internal hub and end it’s journey there.

On the upside, I added more kernel parameters, and the tablet now boots every time [but the ~2 min delay has not been resolved], and with restored usb functionality. For now, I’ve got into the habit of Suspending to HDD, instead of shutting down, for a quicker and prettier boot…

The added parameters were as follows, if ever someone needs to follow suit:

pci=routeirq nosmp splash=verbose showopts

No idea why nosmp would affect a single core PIII, and why showopts suppressed some warnings, but hey, if it ain’t broke…

Thanks again, and take care.
Ronnel.

On 03/25/2009 deadlokIV wrote:
> I then did a cat of the usb messages not long after, and found a lot
> of what looked like acpi/irq screw-ups further up. It would find the
> internal hub and end it’s journey there.

The whole problem sounds like an IRQ mess :slight_smile:
Is there a BIOS update available, by any chance?

Uwe

Errr, it’s still persistent. I’ve only just realised that the USB functionality is restored after booting back into Linux from a Suspended state, rather than a cold boot. Awkward, but doable.

The whole problem sounds like an IRQ mess :slight_smile:
Is there a BIOS update available, by any chance?

It really does; and sadly about the BIOS update… I doubt that very much. I updated the BIOS about half a year ago, just for stability reasons, but the actual hardware is relatively old now [Acer Travelmate C100 Tablet PC].

• deadlokIV,

you could try the “noapic” kernel option in order to disable the interrupt controller.

Uwe