Leap was not a good Leap. 11.x 12.x and 13.x had their issues but things were livable and fairly stable. Then came Leap new numbering bad choice IMHO. going from 13 to 42 was a Leap true. With the leap I noted many things that changed. Less 32 bit support for 32 bit apps. I am not talking about the apps themselves but the missing libraries that they need to use. I got over it as the main os eventually started to work as expected or desired.
Then came the Leap return to 15.0 and now 32 bit support has all but vanished. I have to keep old systems running as long as I can because the apps aren’t available in 64 bit. Why are we ok with going backwards. Yes the apps and OS are new faster but they are also more demanding on hardware. New features, some good some totally bad.
But now comes 15.1 which is broken beyond belief. For the live upgrade (which did work) even though it was slower than imaginable at over 14 hours to complete. but now I need a magnifying glass to even try to see the display text.
- Grub2 is so tiny it can’t read at all.
- Desktop comes up 4 times slower than 15.0
- Yast is almost useless. No more tree view categories just a flat list which takes forever to find what is installed and needs attention.
- Discovery checks for updates even when you specify only do monthly. It now also tries to install rpms shown in dolphin when you are just scanning to see what you have in a directory. Just because you have an rpm listed on the screen doesn’t mean you want it installed. Of course Discovery when it eventually goes to install the rpm claims it has an “internal error”, didn’t install anything but rpm and zypper now say the package was installed but if you try to remove it it complains it is not installed. Try to again install and it complains it is installed.
- Taskbar at bottom of screen is now so tiny as are desktop icons that you can barely see them. I know my screen can be used in higher resolution but it shouldn’t start out at maximum. At next boot all settings for bigger print and icons are lost.
- Virtualbox is now useless. 1) For any pre -existing vdi drives they show and run in Virtualbox 6.0.12 with extension pack added back in. Guest additions for the other guest OS’s still show the old version guest additions but the guest OS’s do function AFAIK properly. 2) New guest OS’s especially Linux ones will no longer function. After installing they simply crash when you try and use them. Reason: They need Guest additions to run but you have no way to install guest additions. Attach guest additions to the virtual cdrom and virtualbox 6 can’t find them as it used to be able to do. Choose install guest additions by preventing load continue, and using the device oanel and it says download of guest additions is required. At 99% it crashes saying the download has failed.
- baloo file indexing comes on saying it has exited unexpectly please report this bug to bugzilla. Link to bugzilla goes to web and says the page can’t be found.
- Go into Dolphin and where it is set to only try and open files when doubleclicked it now selects the file upon highlighting. Click a blank spot is now required next to the option you want then the left or right arrow to highlight the item which immediate runs or opens the item. You can then cancel out the option and try to move copy archive the item.
- Cli does not allow su or sudo commands to get super user mode you must now open a super user terminal and if your lucky it will let you navigate where you want. BUT it tries to make it as hard as it can with lots of you don’t have access rights to this or that folder.
- Dolphin super user mode does not let you mount or unmount drives, change drives to ones just added etc.
Rethink what they are doing. because 15.1 doesn’t cut it. The more I check the more things don’t work.