Wireless Works to Dlink Router Not To Internet

I have a Toshiba Satellite A105-S4024 that has a dual boot Win XP and OpenSuse 11.4. Thsi connect to a Dlink 655 router via WPA. Works fine in XP,but in SuSe 11.4 only can connect to the Dlink administrator via wireless. IFCONFIG shows(I have no lan cable connection on this machine) therefor can’t paste into this message, as I am using a desktop lan wire connected with Suse 11.4.
WLAN0
UP Broadcast Running Multicast MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:1373 errors:0
TX Packets:979 errors:0
RX bytes 1210306 (1,1MB) TX bytes `22482 (119.6 kb)

The wireless on this machine is an Intel Wireless/pro 3945abg

As I stated above can wireless connect to Dlink administration page using 192.168.0.1 in Firefox, if I try something like Yahoo! it issues message "Unable to COnnect to the server Yahoo!.
It says “Connect to Server Refused” when I try to connect via Konqueror.
So it appears the hardware is functioning, but something else is not.
I should state here that I have moved and have to use satellite ISP in this case WildBlue I used to use Qwest 2wire ISP and it used to work fine, I never used the Dlink router and satellite ISP before. Even though it works on the Windows XP side there is something SuSe 11.4 is missing in some CONF file somewhere.
I changed the resolv.conf file as follows
old:
search gateway.2wire.net wildblue.com
TO:
search gateway.wildblue.com
I also added additional nameserver statements to the existing which was nameserver 192.168.0.1
Added:
nameserver DNS01.Wildblue.net
nameserver DNS02.Wildblue.net
nameserver 208.67.220.220
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 4.2.2.2

I changed resolv.conf.netconfig as follows:
From
search gateway.2wire.net
To
search gateway.wildblue.com

Does anyone have any thoughts on this problem?

I can not believe that in the 24 hours this post was here and although there were 37 views, no on had any suggestion.

Maybe it just go missed. Sorry.
And I’m about to crash for the night.
Sounds like the device works, it should, I have a Intel 3945.
I’ll have to come back to this in about 7hrs time
In the mean time check this:
Getting Your Wireless to Work
Consider disabling IPv6 too

To get my dlink to work, I set the Gateway (not the nameserver) to 192.168.0.1 and, temporarily at least, I use google for DNS. In case you don’t know them 8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4

Change the gateway and ping the google sites. If it works, change nameservers back to wildblue

On 07/31/2011 01:16 PM, KentSzabo wrote:
>
> I have a Toshiba Satellite A105-S4024 that has a dual boot Win XP and
> OpenSuse 11.4. Thsi connect to a Dlink 655 router via WPA. Works fine in
> XP,but in SuSe 11.4 only can connect to the Dlink administrator via
> wireless. IFCONFIG shows(I have no lan cable connection on this machine)
> therefor can’t paste into this message, as I am using a desktop lan wire
> connected with Suse 11.4.
> WLAN0
> UP Broadcast Running Multicast MTU:1500 Metric:1
> RX packets:1373 errors:0
> TX Packets:979 errors:0
> RX bytes 1210306 (1,1MB) TX bytes `22482 (119.6 kb)
>
> The wireless on this machine is an Intel Wireless/pro 3945abg
>
> As I stated above can wireless connect to Dlink administration page
> using 192.168.0.1 in Firefox, if I try something like ‘Yahoo!’
> (http://www.yahoo.com) it issues message "Unable to COnnect to the
> server ‘Yahoo!’ (http://www.yahoo.com).
> It says “Connect to Server Refused” when I try to connect via
> Konqueror.
> So it appears the hardware is functioning, but something else is not.
> I should state here that I have moved and have to use satellite ISP in
> this case WildBlue I used to use Qwest 2wire ISP and it used to work
> fine, I never used the Dlink router and satellite ISP before. Even
> though it works on the Windows XP side there is something SuSe 11.4 is
> missing in some CONF file somewhere.
> I changed the resolv.conf file as follows
> old:
> search gateway.2wire.net wildblue.com
> TO:
> search gateway.wildblue.com
> I also added additional nameserver statements to the existing which was
> nameserver 192.168.0.1
> Added:
> nameserver DNS01.Wildblue.net
> nameserver DNS02.Wildblue.net

Have you figured out the logic error in having statements like the two above?

> nameserver 208.67.220.220
> nameserver 208.67.222.222
> nameserver 4.2.2.2
>
>
> I changed resolf.conf.network as follows:
> From
> search gateway.2wire.net
> To
> search gateway.wildblue.com
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on this problem?

Yes. I think your routing is messed up. Please post the output of ‘/sbin/route
-n’ inside “code” tags. If the network system doesn’t know how to reach the
outside world, then it cannot find nameservers.

On 08/01/2011 03:46 PM, Prexy wrote:
>
> To get my dlink to work, I set the Gateway (not the nameserver) to
> 192.168.0.1 and, temporarily at least, I use google for DNS. In case
> you don’t know them 8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4

The second of these should be 8.8.4.4. When you ‘nslookup 4.4.4.4’, the return
is “** server can’t find 4.4.4.4.in-addr.arpa.: NXDOMAIN”.

Are you using NetworkManager, or “ifup” for connecting?

If you are using “NetworkManager”, this is supposed to work. If you are using “ifup” via Yast, it might depend on how you have configured your ethernet connection. I think you have to tell Yast enable “if plugged” (or similar). Otherwise it may assume that the ethernet connection is primary, and only provide a local LAN route for Wireless.

It gives me
connect:Network is unreachable

I am 11.4 I don’t recall ifup question since the 10.x releases in yast.
yast shows me 3 lines as follows that can be edited
Intel PRO/WIRELESS 3945abg Network Connection DHCP
Device Name eth1
Started automatically on cable connection
IP address assigned using DHCP
PRO/Wireless 3945abg (golan) Network COnnection DHCP
MAC:00.13.02.36.5f.c5
BusID:0000.05.00.0
Device Name wlan0
Started automatically at boot
IP address assigned using DHCP
Toshiba america info PRO/100 VE Network Connection DHCP
MAC:00.a0.d1.3b.9b.d0
BusID:0000.07.08.0
Device Name eth0
Started automatically at boot
IP address assigned using DHCP

I think you are not using that one.

Because it is set to start at boot, Yast assumes that the default route will be through eth0. Try changing that to start on cable connect. Perhaps change the wireless that you normally use to start on boot.

I changed eth0 to on Cable Connect, wlan0 at Boot, eth1 at boot…
No change . . doesn’t connenct to internet URLs but does to dlink admin at 192.168.0.1 via wireless.

You can try changing the dhcp to use “dhclient” in place of “dhcpcd”.

Use Yast → System → /etc/sysconfig Editor → Network → DHCP → DHCP Client → DHCLIENT_BIN

I don’t know if that will fix the problem. I have had better success with “dhclient” so it is worth trying.

On 08/02/2011 05:06 PM, KentSzabo wrote:
>
> I changed eth0 to on Cable Connect, wlan0 at Boot, eth1 at boot…
> No change . . doesn’t connenct to internet URLs but does to dlink
> admin at 192.168.0.1 via wireless.

You still have not responded to my post!

I tried gateway 192.168.0.1 and dns of
nameserver.8.8.8.8 and
nameserver.8.8.4/4

and I got

ping 8.8.8.8
connect:Network is unreachable

it is already set to dhcclient.bin

On August 1 at 20:45 UTC, I posted the following:

“I think your routing is messed up. Please post the output of ‘/sbin/route -n’
inside “code” tags. If the network system doesn’t know how to reach the outside
world, then it cannot find nameservers.”

I still think that is the problem, but you never looked at this issue.

As I stated I have no dsl capability on the bad macgine so I will type it.

Kernel IP Routing Table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255,255.255.0 U 0 0 0 wlan0
169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 wlan0
127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo

On 08/04/2011 06:16 PM, KentSzabo wrote:
>
> lwfinger;2371259 Wrote:
>> On August 1 at 20:45 UTC, I posted the following:
>>
>> “I think your routing is messed up. Please post the output of
>> ‘/sbin/route -n’
>> inside “code” tags. If the network system doesn’t know how to reach the
>> outside
>> world, then it cannot find nameservers.”
>>
>> I still think that is the problem, but you never looked at this issue.
>
> As I stated I have no dsl capability on the bad macgine so I will type
> it.
>
> Kernel IP Routing Table
> Destination Gateway Genmask Flags
> Metric Ref Use Iface
> 192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255,255.255.0 U 0
> 0 0 wlan0
> 169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0
> 0 0 wlan0
> 127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U
> 0 0 0 lo

As you look at the above routing table, the first rule tells how to get to
192.168.0.X addresses, but how would you route to a nameserver? You need a
proper default gateway rule.

To create the rule, enter the following:


sudo /sbin/route add default gw 192.168.0.1

Note, I’m guessing that your router’s address is 192.168.0.1. If it is at a
different location, change the above location.

For all the people who suggested DNS problems, the clue is as follows:

If ‘ping 192.168.0.1’ works, but ‘ping 8.8.8.8’ fails, it is a routing problem.

I issued sudo /sbin/route add default gw 192.168.0.1
It returns
gw: Unknown host

On 08/06/2011 04:46 PM, KentSzabo wrote:
>
> lwfinger;2371563 Wrote:
>> On 08/04/2011 06:16 PM, KentSzabo wrote:
>>>
>>> lwfinger;2371259 Wrote:
>>>> On August 1 at 20:45 UTC, I posted the following:
>>>>
>>>> “I think your routing is messed up. Please post the output of
>>>> ‘/sbin/route -n’
>>>> inside “code” tags. If the network system doesn’t know how to reach
>> the
>>>> outside
>>>> world, then it cannot find nameservers.”
>>>>
>>>> I still think that is the problem, but you never looked at this
>> issue.
>>>
>>> As I stated I have no dsl capability on the bad macgine so I will
>> type
>>> it.
>>>
>>> Kernel IP Routing Table
>>> Destination Gateway Genmask Flags
>>> Metric Ref Use Iface
>>> 192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255,255.255.0 U
>> 0
>>> 0 0 wlan0
>>> 169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U
>> 0
>>> 0 0 wlan0
>>> 127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0
>> U
>>> 0 0 0 lo
>>
>> As you look at the above routing table, the first rule tells how to get
>> to
>> 192.168.0.X addresses, but how would you route to a nameserver? You
>> need a
>> proper default gateway rule.
>>
>> To create the rule, enter the following:
>>
>>>
> Code:
> --------------------
> > >
> > sudo /sbin/route add default gw 192.168.0.1
> >
> --------------------
>>>
>>
>> Note, I’m guessing that your router’s address is 192.168.0.1. If it
>> is at a
>> different location, change the above location.
>>
>> For all the people who suggested DNS problems, the clue is as
>> follows:
>>
>> If ‘ping 192.168.0.1’ works, but ‘ping 8.8.8.8’ fails, it is a
>> routing problem.
>
> I issued sudo /sbin/route add default gw 192.168.0.1
> It returns
> gw: Unknown host

I gave you the correct command. What is the address of your router?

You can read the route manual with ‘man route’.