wireless/security

Hi
Sorry if this has been posted before… i seen a couple threads from a few months ago with the same problem, but i havn’t seen any fixes yet…

Basically… I am using Opensuse 11.1 kde 4.2.3, I am using a wireless router… the problem is… i cannot connect to the wireless signal with my laptop when security is turned on… but when I turn security off… it connects just fine.

is there a problem with the kde 4 network manager not being able to connect to wireless with security enabled??? Im using WPA-PSK for my wireless security…

anybody know whats goin on with this? and why the heck does it work in kubuntu with the same kde version but doesn’t work in Suse? seems to have been an Ongoing issue for several months…

thanx

i’m having some issues myself and working on them so I remember that someone mentioned that network manager needs wpa_supplicant to be installed if you use encrypted connection. Maybe you didn’t know about this one.

got that, still don’t work

i got my wireless to work locally(only in my network) but cannot get to the outside. Anyway post the output from the console of:
lspci
lspci -n
dmesg|less (here try to find your wireless router to see any messages)
I had a message like this:
ipw2200: Radio Frequency Kill Switch is On:
Kill switch must be turned off for wireless networking to work.
and that dissappeared after I edited /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth1(in my case)
added line REFER_WPA_SUPPLICANT=‘no’

After restart I got it to connect internally but it doesn’t go externally so I have to dig more. Post these and I will try to see if I can help you.
also there is a tool if you read one of the howto in wireless:
Framp’s Linux Tips and Tricks und Beispielkonfigurationen - Downloads | Netzwerktoolsrepository which hopefully will get you some more details. Let me know and I will try to help.

i figured out what kill switch means(it’s a button i have on my laptop to allow or not wireless roaming. (duh) . anyway I installed wicd network manager wicd - home and now i’m wireless connected. Maybe you should try it.

haha.I had the same problem the other day, i couldn’t detect wireless signals from my acer aspire one… then i found that little switch at the front, flicked it, reset, and then i was able to scan for wireless signals again…

anyways, yeah wicd works… but i hope kde4.3 fixes wireless… in the meantime that will do.
thanx