Wireless only works on certain networks

Hi

I have a wireless network at home. My home laptop connects without any issue.

I have a wireless network at work. My work laptop connects without any issue.

HOWEVER…
If I take my work laptop home, it can see the network but cannot connect to it. I’ve checked the passphrase and that’s fine, I’ve deleted the network from the Network Manager profile and re-created it - no luck.

The only thing I can think of is that I had to change the wireless router network channel at one point. I think that the work PC could access the network before that (but it was a while ago). I’ve tried changing the channel back, but to no avail. I have to keep the channel at its new setting anyway to avoid a loss of signal.

What sort of things should I be checking/changing to get home connectivity on my work PC? The wired network is fine, but my wife draws the line at me looming over her desk with a red cable plugged into the back of my laptop.

Other things to try:
Change the compatibility mode for the home router. You haven’t stated how old any of the hardware is (I’m going to assume it’s all 802.11g), but switching from 802.11g to 802.11b+g or to 802.11b may help.

Check the encryption settings. Make sure you have WEP or WPA settings matched up properly.

I’ve also had problems with KNetworkManager when too many profiles were present (>10?). Deleting seldom used profiles cleared that up.

If you really want to get serious, you can setup a sniffer to see where the problem is occurring (association or authentication or something else).

Problem I have is that the network USED to work with my work laptop. It’s only since the channel was changed that the problems have arisen. That may be coincidental but looks suspicious to me…

I only have 4 wireless networks set up. As I said, the work network works seamlessly, it’s just at home.

…how important is the case of the SSID? I’ve just thought that I might have the network named in the router as “my_network” but have the SSID in my laptop settings as “My_network”…durrr…I’m at work just now so can’t check, but this would be an embarrassingly simple thing to fix…

If that DOESN’T fix the problem, what are the diagnostics I can run to find out where the problem lies?

OK, I now have both machines at home and I have checked the wireless settings in both. They are identical, from the Network Manager GUI. As usual, the work laptop won’t connect, asking for the passphrase (I’ve checked - it’s fine). Any ideas, anyone?

I would try changing settings in your router.

I tried that and the performance of the whole network suffered. What commands can I type to identify where the problem lies?

Do you have access control on?
Have you added the MAC for this?

Could I have been so STUPID as to forget to check the MAC address filter? Yes, very probably. What a tube. I’ll check this out, thanks. PC is in the office, but I’ll look into it next week.

Let’s hope I’m correct…

Well, I managed to trash my system earlier today, by removing all root privileges. Don’t ask. After a quick re-install (Hallelujah! My data was intact! - although I’d backed up earlier today anyway), wired/wireless not working. After fiddling around, I remembered…MAC addresses! Turns out I AM that stupid. All working again, and I’m pleased, but feeling ever so foolish at forgetting this for the nth time.

Hope all continues to go well.

I have a similar problem. recently I have upgraded from 11.1 to 11.2 and while in 11.1 everything worked well now I observe literally the following.
I have both wired and wireless network at work, I have both wired and wireless network at home. The laptop is MacBook Pro with two systems, MAC OS and, as I said opensuse 11.2. At work everything works perfect, but when I bring the laptop home I can not get internet. I tried both network manager and ifup in GNOME, then I tried KDE. Each time system shows that I am connected to the network but in fact internet does not work. When I reboot to MAC OS, it works ok, so, apparently, the problem is not MAC addresses. There is also the second laptop with Windows XP. For this one both wireless and wired work perfect. ifconfig in 11.2 shows that the laptop correctly obtains IP from the router but… no internet. Any ideas?

Is this true for both Wired and Wireless?

yes, at home I can not get working both wired and wireless, while other os and the same 11.2 in the office work

So it’s also has MacOS which works ?
If this is the case then it’s odd. Because you say it works when you take it to work. So obviously your network drivers etc are OK

Perhaps this is a ISP thing. In 11.2 many users had to configure the network settings manually, rather than leaving it to DHCP

yes, MacOS works. btw, I checked DHCP parameters and they show that system correctly gets IP, mask and gate addresses. In addition, the router is pinged. Does it make sense to do without manual configuring or I still should do it?

No harm in trying a manual setup

Just before that, you could try putting a ~ to rename /etc/resolv.conf to /etc/~resolv.conf

Rebooot

You can always revert back to the original if necessary

Actually, what looks suspicious is that when I tried /usr/sbin/iwlist scan
I get : eth1 failed to read scan data : Invalid argument.
It seems this output is not normal but I have no idea how to sort it out

Post the wireless info from this:

/sbin/lspci -nnk

00:03.0 ISA bridge [0601]: nVidia Corporation MCP79 LPC Bridge [10de:0aae] (rev b3)
Subsystem: nVidia Corporation Device [10de:cb79]
00:03.1 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Memory Controller [10de:0aa4] (rev b1)
00:03.2 SMBus [0c05]: nVidia Corporation MCP79 SMBus [10de:0aa2] (rev b1)
Kernel driver in use: nForce2_smbus
00:03.3 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Memory Controller [10de:0a89] (rev b1)
00:03.4 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation Device [10de:0a98] (rev b1)
00:03.5 Co-processor [0b40]: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Co-processor [10de:0aa3] (rev b1)
00:04.0 USB Controller [0c03]: nVidia Corporation MCP79 OHCI USB 1.1 Controller [10de:0aa5] (rev b1)
Kernel driver in use: ohci_hcd
00:04.1 USB Controller [0c03]: nVidia Corporation MCP79 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller [10de:0aa6] (rev b1)
Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd
00:06.0 USB Controller [0c03]: nVidia Corporation MCP79 OHCI USB 1.1 Controller [10de:0aa7] (rev b1)
Kernel driver in use: ohci_hcd
00:06.1 USB Controller [0c03]: nVidia Corporation MCP79 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller [10de:0aa9] (rev b1)
Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd
00:08.0 Audio device [0403]: nVidia Corporation MCP79 High Definition Audio [10de:0ac0] (rev b1)
Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
00:09.0 PCI bridge [0604]: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Bridge [10de:0aab] (rev b1)
00:0a.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Ethernet [10de:0ab0] (rev b1)
Kernel driver in use: forcedeth
00:0b.0 IDE interface [0101]: nVidia Corporation MCP79 SATA Controller [10de:0ab5] (rev b1)
Kernel driver in use: ahci
00:10.0 PCI bridge [0604]: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Express Bridge [10de:0aa0] (rev b1)
00:15.0 PCI bridge [0604]: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Express Bridge [10de:0ac6] (rev b1)
Kernel driver in use: pcieport-driver
00:16.0 PCI bridge [0604]: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Express Bridge [10de:0ac7] (rev b1)
Kernel driver in use: pcieport-driver
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation C79 [GeForce 9400M] [10de:0863] (rev b1)
Subsystem: Apple Computer Inc. Device [106b:00b9]
Kernel driver in use: nvidia
03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:432b] (rev 01)
Subsystem: Apple Computer Inc. Device [106b:008d]
Kernel driver in use: wl
04:00.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394) [0c00]: Agere Systems FW643 PCI Express1394b Controller (PHY/Link) [11c1:5901] (rev 07)
Subsystem: Agere Systems Device [11c1:5900]
Kernel driver in use: ohci1394