Wireless not appearing Dell Inspiron 1300 BCM 4318

Hi

I am not getting a wireless signal on Dell Inspiron 1300. It has a BCM 4318 and I have downloaded b43 installer from YaST. I just installed Open SUSE 13.1 and was using LXLE and had no problems with wireless so cannot figure out problem.

I prefer Open SUSE interface and want to use this but the wireless is a huge problem. I previously installed 13.1 but switched to LXLE over this issue. Is there any way to resolve this problem.

I looked to install b43 firmware from Packman repo through YaST but the laptop crashes and won’t complete installation. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Solved it. Used dmesg |less and identified issue with b43 firmware.

This is a known problem with the current driver and certain chipsets. If you search this forum you’ll find a few people having had the same problem.

As a workaround disable the wireless in the BIOS or via the hardware switch if possible for installing the firmware.
Afterwards it should work.

If that’s not possible, you have to blacklist the b43 driver.
Either add “brokenmodules=b43” to the kernel boot options (to only do that for one boot press ‘e’ at the boot menu and append it to the line starting with “linux”), or create a file in /etc/modprobe.d/ (the exact filename doesn’t matter, something.conf will do) with the following content:

blacklist b43

After you installed the firmware you can (should) remove that file again.

At least I think blacklisting b43 is enough. I have to search the forum myself to verify… :wink:

did you tried downloading bcm from packman repo???

According to en:users:drivers:b43 [Linux Wireless] the BCM4318 is not supported by broadcom-wl, if that’s what you mean.

And broadcom’s STA (which is what broadcom-wl contains) download page would suggest so as well:
http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

for use with Broadcom’s BCM4311-, BCM4312-, BCM4313-, BCM4321-, BCM4322-, BCM43224-, and BCM43225-, BCM43227- and BCM43228-based hardware.

No BCM4318…