Wireless Network Card Issues

I am a first time user and student of openSUSE 11.3 and decided to install it on my home laptop. Everything went fine during the install, until it came to the network cards. It said that there was “No Connection Running”, so I continued and thought nothing of it. When I finnally got into openSUSE, I noticed that I couldn’t find any wireless networks in the area, even though I can in my Windows 7 Boot of my Hard Drive.

I did some research and found that I have a Broadcom Network Controller, and went ahead and ran the

/usr/sbin/install_bcm43xx_firmware

In the console. It said that both b43 and b43 legacy firmware had been downloaded and installed succesfully. I restarted my computer and noticed that the Wireless Network was still not working! In the Hardware Info in YAST I can see the Network Card, but I can’t figure out how to configure! Help please!:\

Are you running KDE or Gnome? I have had similar problems in the past, but have usually been able to get resolution.

One thing you’ll probably need to provide is a note of your hardware and OS - 32 or 64-bit. These aren’t particularly relevant to me - if the solution needs that level of detail, I’m afraid I can’t help.

It’s a while since I used KDE - I find Gnome, whilst less glitzy, is more stable - but i think that the general procedure is the same. In YaST, under the Network Card, select the “User Controlled with Network Manager” option. That should give an icon in the system tray which will allow you to see your wireless network. Use the icon to edit whatever settings you need - password, SSID and so on.

I’ve been using Linux for a few years - it takes a bit of learning, but it’s worth the effort.

Hope this helps.

I did a little research…turns out I downloaded the wrong firmware or something…

Found the right one, and everything wireless wise is great!
lol!

Good - you’ve solved it yourself, which is always satisfying.