Wireless internet work, but direct ethernet does not

Hello everyone,

I’m using OpenSuSE 11.0 GNOME at this moment on my laptop. When I initially was playing around with the live CD, everything was working fine. While I was browsing, I figured I’d go ahead and try to let firefox install flash. Ever since then, I can’t connect to the internet when using my ethernet port. This was after rebooting multiple times and finally installing OpenSuSE to the hard drive. Here’s some of the info I got from running lspci -v.

01:05.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5212/AR5213 Multiprotocol MAC/baseband processor (rev 01)
Subsystem: Askey Computer Corp. Device 7058
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 168, IRQ 22
Memory at cfff0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64]
Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
Kernel driver in use: ath5k_pci

01:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB PRO/100 VE (MOB) Ethernet Controller (rev 83)
Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Device 0001
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 20
Memory at cffef000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4]
I/O ports at cf40 [size=64]
Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
Kernel driver in use: eepro100

I tried many settings, but I was able to get the wireless card to connect here at the library. I figured I’d give the eepro100 driver a try and it didn’t work either. As for the network settings, I disabled Ipv6 and am using Network Manager (that’s the only way to get wireless to work). Trying to run the traditional method with ifup doesn’t help at all. I’ve told it to change hostname via DHCP on the Hostname/DNS tab. Both card are set up to obtain IP addresses via DHCP btw. Basically my network settings are set up like this link explains, but I have network manager working instead.

HowTo Configure a network card in Suse/openSUSE 10, 11 for LAN and Internet Access.

Let’s see. I also went to Network proxy settings in GNOME and tried changing it from Use System Proxy settings to Direct Internet Connection. Looks like I still have it set to Direct right now, but wireless is still working so no issue there. I’m attempting to update some packages right now, but if this doesn’t work (and the library closes in 20 minutes), then I’m at a loss. Anything you can think of to help me out would be much appreciated. :)[/size][/size][/size]

I forgot to mention the type of error I’m getting in Firefox when using my ethernet port for internet. It’s a 500 internal server error. If this doesn’t work out, I may just go ahead and download 11.1 and see if it works. While using my wireless of course…