Wireless Device Crashes OS11.2 - Encore Electronics ENLWI-G2

Hey everyone, i just installed a new wireless device from encore electronics(802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter ENLWI-G2) but it deadlocks openSUSE 11.2 when i start the networking module in YaST. It also deadlocks(Freezes up) when i tried reinstalling suse. can someone help me, has anyone got this device to work? I also tried Fedora 12… it manages to see my wlan and posts the mac address of the card… but it also locks up while trying to use it or configure it

On 12/19/2009 04:26 PM, JoshuaRoebuck wrote:
>
> Hey everyone, i just installed a new wireless device from encore
> electronics(802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter ENLWI-G2) but it deadlocks
> openSUSE 11.2 when i start the networking module in YaST. It also
> deadlocks(Freezes up) when i tried reinstalling suse. can someone help
> me, has anyone got this device to work? I also tried Fedora 12… it
> manages to see my wlan and posts the mac address of the card… but it
> also locks up while trying to use it or configure it

To help you with anything, we need to see the PCI ID for the device.
Run the command ‘/sbin/lspci -nn’ and post the part that describes the
wireless device. Note: Only post that part!

hey, sorry for taking so long, as most know, when a network error happens, you have to get on d net using some other pc… anyway, i ran the command and it came up with this:
02:01.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8185 IEEE 802.11a/b/g Wireless LAN Controller [10ec:8185] (rev 20)
i hope this is what you needed.

On 12/20/2009 04:36 AM, JoshuaRoebuck wrote:
>
> hey, sorry for taking so long, as most know, when a network error
> happens, you have to get on d net using some other pc… anyway, i ran
> the command and it came up with this:
> 02:01.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
> RTL-8185 IEEE 802.11a/b/g Wireless LAN Controller [10ec:8185] (rev 20)
> i hope this is what you needed.

Now we know which driver you are using - rtl8180. Please look at the
system log file with YaSt => Miscellaneous => System Log to see if you
see any kernel oops messages.

What form does the “system crash” take?

hey, the command you run displays alot of stuff and i dont know what to look for. I also dont see any kernel oops messages, but i managed to grab the information as the system crashed. i ran the network module at 2:25pm. the machine hanged. went to system log and got the following things that occured before it crashed:

Dec 21 14:25:02 linux-opuj auditd[2025]: Started dispatcher: /sbin/audispd pid: 2027
Dec 21 14:25:02 linux-opuj audispd: priority_boost_parser called with: 4
Dec 21 14:25:02 linux-opuj audispd: max_restarts_parser called with: 10
Dec 21 14:25:02 linux-opuj audispd: af_unix plugin initialized
Dec 21 14:25:02 linux-opuj audispd: audispd initialized with q_depth=80 and 1 active plugins
Dec 21 14:25:02 linux-opuj auditd[2025]: Init complete, auditd 1.7.13 listening for events (startup state disable)
Dec 21 14:25:03 linux-opuj kdm_config[2030]: Multiple occurrences of key ‘UseTheme’ in section [X-*-Greeter] of /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc
Dec 21 14:25:04 linux-opuj kernel: 23.415452] BIOS EDD facility v0.16 2004-Jun-25, 1 devices found
Dec 21 14:25:04 linux-opuj avahi-daemon[2177]: Found user ‘avahi’ (UID 101) and group ‘avahi’ (GID 104).
Dec 21 14:25:04 linux-opuj avahi-daemon[2177]: Successfully dropped root privileges.
Dec 21 14:25:04 linux-opuj avahi-daemon[2177]: avahi-daemon 0.6.25 starting up.
Dec 21 14:25:04 linux-opuj avahi-daemon[2177]: Loading service file /etc/avahi/services/sftp-ssh.service.
Dec 21 14:25:04 linux-opuj avahi-daemon[2177]: Loading service file /etc/avahi/services/ssh.service.
Dec 21 14:25:04 linux-opuj avahi-daemon[2177]: Network interface enumeration completed.
Dec 21 14:25:04 linux-opuj avahi-daemon[2177]: Registering HINFO record with values ‘I686’/‘LINUX’.
Dec 21 14:25:04 linux-opuj avahi-daemon[2177]: Server startup complete. Host name is linux-opuj.local. Local service cookie is 3430180456.
Dec 21 14:25:04 linux-opuj avahi-daemon[2177]: Service “linux-opuj” (/etc/avahi/services/ssh.service) successfully established.
Dec 21 14:25:04 linux-opuj avahi-daemon[2177]: Service “SFTP File Transfer on linux-opuj” (/etc/avahi/services/sftp-ssh.service) successfully established.
Dec 21 14:25:05 linux-opuj smartd[2260]: smartd 5.39 2009-08-08 r2872~ [i686-pc-linux-gnu] (openSUSE RPM)#012Copyright (C) 2002-9 by Bruce Allen, smartmontools
Dec 21 14:25:05 linux-opuj smartd[2260]: Opened configuration file /etc/smartd.conf
Dec 21 14:25:05 linux-opuj smartd[2260]: Drive: DEVICESCAN, implied ‘-a’ Directive on line 26 of file /etc/smartd.conf
Dec 21 14:25:05 linux-opuj smartd[2260]: Configuration file /etc/smartd.conf was parsed, found DEVICESCAN, scanning devices
Dec 21 14:25:05 linux-opuj smartd[2260]: Device: /dev/sda, type changed from ‘scsi’ to ‘sat’
Dec 21 14:25:05 linux-opuj smartd[2260]: Device: /dev/sda [SAT], opened
Dec 21 14:25:05 linux-opuj smartd[2260]: Device: /dev/sda [SAT], found in smartd database.
Dec 21 14:25:05 linux-opuj smartd[2260]: Device: /dev/sda [SAT], is SMART capable. Adding to “monitor” list.
Dec 21 14:25:05 linux-opuj smartd[2260]: Device: /dev/sda [SAT], state read from /var/lib/smartmontools/smartd.ST31000528AS-9VP0A12F.ata.state
Dec 21 14:25:05 linux-opuj smartd[2260]: Monitoring 1 ATA and 0 SCSI devices
Dec 21 14:25:05 linux-opuj smartd[2260]: Device: /dev/sda [SAT], SMART Usage Attribute: 190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel changed from 68 to 64
Dec 21 14:25:05 linux-opuj smartd[2260]: Device: /dev/sda [SAT], SMART Usage Attribute: 194 Temperature_Celsius changed from 32 to 36
Dec 21 14:25:05 linux-opuj smartd[2260]: Device: /dev/sda [SAT], state written to /var/lib/smartmontools/smartd.ST31000528AS-9VP0A12F.ata.state
Dec 21 14:25:05 linux-opuj smartd[2398]: smartd has fork()ed into background mode. New PID=2398.
Dec 21 14:25:06 linux-opuj /usr/sbin/cron[2520]: (CRON) STARTUP (V5.0)
Dec 21 14:25:06 linux-opuj ifup: wlan0 device: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8185 IEEE 802.11a/b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 20)
Dec 21 14:25:06 linux-opuj ifup: No configuration found for wlan0
Dec 21 14:25:06 linux-opuj kernel: 25.726243] bootsplash: status on console 0 changed to on
Dec 21 14:25:23 linux-opuj python: hp-systray[2844]: warning: No hp: or hpfax: devices found in any installed CUPS queue. Exiting.
Dec 21 14:25:28 linux-opuj su: (to root) jroebuck on /dev/pts/4
Dec 21 14:25:28 linux-opuj su: (to root) jroebuck on /dev/pts/4

i hope it has meaningful info for you to help me with… thanks for your help i really appreciate it

There was no useful information there.

Exactly what happens when it crashes?

When you start the network, immediately use CTRL/ALT/F10 to switch to
the logging console. If it logs anything there, you will have to copy
it by hand, or take a picture for posting through pastebin or some
similar site.

When i run the network module, a window appears, it has a tick next to detect network devices, it then proceeds to read driver information, which it then sticks. when it sticks, nothing responds, the keyboard stays with whatever light was on before and does not turn off(numlock caps and scroll lock) it’s stuck at 11%. once this happens i need to force shut it down by holding down my off button. upon running a live cd, it never completes booting, i installed OS11.2 and it crashed during the autoconfigure by the configure network part (thank god we can skip that part and continue the setup… a few glitches happens tho) when i run the ctrl-alt-f10 it takes me to a full screen terminal where it listed my network devices( i have 3… a pci ethernet and an on board ethernet in addition to the troublemaking wireless card) i will give you the details of the full screen terminal in a bit

hi, does anyone know if opensuse 11.2 has native drivers for this device? i was doing some google searching for drivers and i came across the source drivers for the device. it does’nt compile though(it’s for a previous version of linux 2.6 kernel) i also realised that it crashes if i run the command ifconfig wlan0 up

On 12/22/2009 08:26 PM, JoshuaRoebuck wrote:
>
> hi, does anyone know if opensuse 11.2 has native drivers for this
> device? i was doing some google searching for drivers and i came across
> the source drivers for the device. it does’nt compile though(it’s for a
> previous version of linux 2.6 kernel) i also realised that it crashes if
> i run the command ifconfig wlan0 up

Yes, r8180 IS the Linux native driver for this device. It is much better than
the Realtek vendor-written driver.

I’m still waiting for you to post the info about the crash. There may be
something wrong with your hardware, but the crash data should tell.

Hey thanks for your feedback, i managed to find a small solution. it works, but there must be a better way to do this. i used ndiswrapper with windows XP’s ini file. it actually did’nt freeze up. i’m writing this message using the wireless card on openSUSE right now. it’s interesting though, every single distro i’ve tried using this card crashes once it tries to use this device. every one. i dont think it’s a device problem as it works flawlessly using windows(i think that’s ****) and it’s working now in suse(i hope i dont have to eat my words later and still search for a solution). because it works, there must be a flaw in the way linux reads this device(it could be a kernel problem). --If there are anyone reading this and wondered how i did it, i removed the card, reinstalled OS11.2, installed ndiswrapper and finally loaded the inifile… you must use a konsole to configure it and you must run it as a root (just type su [enter] password) after configuring it, you can then load the network module–

hi, this seems to be the output given from the ctrl-alt-f10 screen, there is alot of garbage(things not relevant to the wireless card(pulseaudio, nvidia etc) however i will post the last 3 lines::(everything before seems to be repeated stuff)

[102.902386] cfg80211: calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain

[103.008027] rtl8180 0000:02:01.0: PCI INT A-> GSI 17(level, low) -> IRQ 17

[103.215600] phy0: hwaddr 00:40:f4:f9:95:48, RTL8185vD + rtl8225z2

that was the last entry before the machine hung, the stuff before had alot of these messages:

(messages about agp)
BIOS EDD facility v0.16 2004-Jun25, 1devices found

linux-q9nc dhclient: (some message which
linux-q9nc dhclient: is continued from before)

i can get this error because i have two entries to boot OS11.2, one loads ndiswrapper which worked(at least most of the time) and the other which doesnt, hence it still hangs entering network manager…

On 12/23/2009 07:56 AM, JoshuaRoebuck wrote:
>
> hi, this seems to be the output given from the ctrl-alt-f10 screen,
> there is alot of garbage(things not relevant to the wireless
> card(pulseaudio, nvidia etc) however i will post the last 3
> lines::(everything before seems to be repeated stuff)
>
> [102.902386] cfg80211: calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain
>
> [103.008027] rtl8180 0000:02:01.0: PCI INT A-> GSI 17(level, low) →
> IRQ 17
>
> [103.215600] phy0: hwaddr 00:40:f4:f9:95:48, RTL8185vD + rtl8225z2
>
> that was the last entry before the machine hung, the stuff before had
> alot of these messages:
>
> (messages about agp)
> BIOS EDD facility v0.16 2004-Jun25, 1devices found
>
> linux-q9nc dhclient: (some message which
> linux-q9nc dhclient: is continued from before)
>
>
> i can get this error because i have two entries to boot OS11.2, one
> loads ndiswrapper which worked(at least most of the time) and the other
> which doesnt, hence it still hangs entering network manager…

If nothing shows up in the log, then you have a kernel hang, not a crash. The
system is very busy doing something with very high priority, and that task never
ends. Very different from a crash.

OK, your hardware is not defective, but it behaves differently than most RTL8185
hardware. As long as ndiswrapper works for you, keep using it.

hey thanks for all your help, it was invaluable, hopefully i can figure out what is going on with this wireless card, it works fine when i remove it, but it hangs when i install it. but since ndiswrapper is loading the wireless drivers for it more times than not, the problem has gone from red to yellow for the moment. hopefully it’s something that can be fixed and i’m not cursed with this problem for future releases.

On 12/23/2009 11:46 AM, JoshuaRoebuck wrote:
>
> hey thanks for all your help, it was invaluable, hopefully i can figure
> out what is going on with this wireless card, it works fine when i
> remove it, but it hangs when i install it. but since ndiswrapper is
> loading the wireless drivers for it more times than not, the problem has
> gone from red to yellow for the moment. hopefully it’s something that
> can be fixed and i’m not cursed with this problem for future releases.

As it seems to be unique to your hardware, it is unlikely to be fixed unless you
can post more definitive info. Drivers like rtl8180 do not get touched unless a
crash dump is posted.

If you had used this card in a previous release/kernel and the freeze were a
regression, then kernel bisection might be able to find the problem. At least we
would have a place to start diagnosing the problem.

I downloaded the vendor’s driver, but compilation of that failed, and I have no
interest in making that work.

Buy a Mac!!!:stuck_out_tongue: