Wireless adapter (DLink DWL-650+) Not Detected

In my switch to openSUSE 11 I was hoping for better results with my notebook wireless adapter. That hasn’t happened yet.

Here is the output from lspci -v

03:00.0 Network controller: Texas Instruments ACX 100 22Mbps Wireless Interface
Subsystem: D-Link System Inc DWL-650+ PC Card cardbus 22Mbs Wireless Adapter [AirPlus]
Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 10
I/O ports at e000 [size=32]
Memory at f4010000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4]
Memory at f4000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64]
Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
Kernel modules: acx

There must be a missing piece somewhere. Can someone identify that piece and how I might get it.

Thank you.[/size][/size][/size]

vchapman wrote:
> 03:00.0 Network controller: Texas Instruments ACX 100 22Mbps Wireless
> Interface
> Subsystem: D-Link System Inc DWL-650+ PC Card cardbus 22Mbs Wireless
> Adapter [AirPlus]
> Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 10
> I/O ports at e000 [size=32]
> Memory at f4010000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4]
> Memory at f4000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64]
> Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
> Kernel modules: acx

It was recognized and their is a driver named acx. What does the output of
‘dmesg | grep acx’ show?

Larry
[/size][/size][/size]

dmesg | grep acx
acx: this driver is still EXPERIMENTAL
acx: reading README file and/or Craig’s HOWTO is recommended, visit The ACX100/ACX111/TNETW1450 wireless network driver project (Linux, BSD) in case of further questions/discussion
acx: compiled to use 32bit I/O access. I/O timing issues might occur, such as non-working firmware upload. Report them
acx: running on a little-endian CPU
acx: PCI/VLYNQ module v0.3.37 initialized, waiting for cards to probe…
acx: found ACX100-based wireless network card at 0000:03:00.0, irq:10, phymem1:0xF4010000, phymem2:0xF4000000, mem1:0xe0f24000, mem1_size:4096, mem2:0xe0fa0000, mem2_size:65536
acx: need to load firmware for acx100 chipset with radio ID 11, please provide via firmware hotplug:
acx: either one file only (<c>ombined firmware image file, radio-specific) or two files (radio-less base image file plus separate <r>adio-specific extension file)
requesting firmware image ‘tiacx100c11’
acx: firmware image ‘tiacx100c11’ was not provided. Check your hotplug scripts
requesting firmware image ‘tiacx100’
acx: firmware image ‘tiacx100’ was not provided. Check your hotplug scripts
acx: reset_dev() FAILED
acx_pci: probe of 0000:03:00.0 failed with error -5
usbcore: registered new interface driver acx_usb

Look here:
Firmware - ACX100/ACX111 wireless network driver project

[Ubuntu/Kubuntu builds these in on their distro-kits, but openSUSE does not.]

All of this is beyond my pay grade!! If there is not an easier method, I will purchase a new pccard network adapter.

Is there an adapter known to work out of the box with openSuse 11.0?

vchapman wrote:
> All of this is beyond my pay grade!!

I see what you mean. I’m not a n00b, but it was confusing. From what I read,
open a terminal and paste in the lines below:

wget
http://web.archive.org/web/20060527215232/acx100.erley.org/acx_fw/acx100_dlink_dwl650+/fw1/RADIO11.BIN
wget
http://web.archive.org/web/20060527215232/acx100.erley.org/acx_fw/acx100_dlink_dwl650+/fw1/WLANGEN.BIN_1.9.8.b
mv WLANGEN.BIN_1.9.8.b tiacx100
mv RADIO11.BIN tiacx100r11
sudo mv tiacx* /lib/firmware/.

The line that starts with “sudo” will ask for your root password. After you run
these commands, reboot and rerun the ‘dmesg | grep acx’ command. It should no
longer say that it couldn’t find the firmware.

Larry

The URL’s for the two download files somehow get truncated in the web post. This results in the file name for WLANGEN to get truncated. Anyway I downloaded it directly myself. The two files are now sitting in the /lib/firmware/. directory. Neither has the .bin extension. Is this right?

Here is the output from dmesg | grep acx

acx: this driver is still EXPERIMENTAL
acx: reading README file and/or Craig’s HOWTO is recommended, visit The ACX100/ACX111/TNETW1450 wireless network driver project (Linux, BSD) in case of further questions/discussion
acx: compiled to use 32bit I/O access. I/O timing issues might occur, such as non-working firmware upload. Report them
acx: running on a little-endian CPU
acx: PCI/VLYNQ module v0.3.37 initialized, waiting for cards to probe…
acx: found ACX100-based wireless network card at 0000:07:00.0, irq:10, phymem1:0x38010000, phymem2:0x38000000, mem1:0xe0f8a000, mem1_size:4096, mem2:0xe0fc0000, mem2_size:65536
acx: need to load firmware for acx100 chipset with radio ID 11, please provide via firmware hotplug:
acx: either one file only (<c>ombined firmware image file, radio-specific) or two files (radio-less base image file plus separate <r>adio-specific extension file)
requesting firmware image ‘tiacx100c11’
acx: firmware image ‘tiacx100c11’ was not provided. Check your hotplug scripts
requesting firmware image ‘tiacx100’
acx: firmware size does not match firmware header: 4428 != 168640116, aborting fw upload
acx: reset_dev() FAILED
acx_pci: probe of 0000:07:00.0 failed with error -5

vchapman wrote:
> lwfinger;1836221 Wrote:
>> vchapman wrote:
>>> All of this is beyond my pay grade!!
>> I see what you mean. I’m not a n00b, but it was confusing. From what I
>> read,
>> open a terminal and paste in the lines below:
>>
>> wget
>> http://tinyurl.com/5lr9co
>> wget
>> http://tinyurl.com/5stndw
>> mv WLANGEN.BIN_1.9.8.b tiacx100
>> mv RADIO11.BIN tiacx100r11
>> sudo mv tiacx* /lib/firmware/.
>>
>> Larry
>
> The URL’s for the two download files somehow get truncated in the web
> post. This results in the file name for WLANGEN to get truncated.
> Anyway I downloaded it directly myself. The two files are now sitting
> in the /lib/firmware/. directory. Neither has the .bin extension. Is
> this right?
>
> Here is the output from dmesg | grep acx
>
> acx: this driver is still EXPERIMENTAL
> acx: reading README file and/or Craig’s HOWTO is recommended, visit
> ‘The ACX100/ACX111/TNETW1450 wireless network driver project (Linux,
> BSD)’ (http://acx100.sf.net) in case of further questions/discussion
> acx: compiled to use 32bit I/O access. I/O timing issues might occur,
> such as non-working firmware upload. Report them
> acx: running on a little-endian CPU
> acx: PCI/VLYNQ module v0.3.37 initialized, waiting for cards to
> probe…
> acx: found ACX100-based wireless network card at 0000:07:00.0, irq:10,
> phymem1:0x38010000, phymem2:0x38000000, mem1:0xe0f8a000,
> mem1_size:4096, mem2:0xe0fc0000, mem2_size:65536
> acx: need to load firmware for acx100 chipset with radio ID 11, please
> provide via firmware hotplug:
> acx: either one file only (<c>ombined firmware image file,
> radio-specific) or two files (radio-less base image file plus
> separate <r>adio-specific extension file)
> requesting firmware image ‘tiacx100c11’
> acx: firmware image ‘tiacx100c11’ was not provided. Check your hotplug
> scripts
> requesting firmware image ‘tiacx100’
> acx: firmware size does not match firmware header: 4428 != 168640116,
> aborting fw upload
> acx: reset_dev() FAILED
> acx_pci: probe of 0000:07:00.0 failed with error -5

No, the files should not have a .bin extension. The driver wanted tiacx100, but
the one we loaded last time is not correct.

Do you have a CD with the Windows driver? If so, the following is supposed to work:

Copy the files from the directory /DRIVER/PCI CARD/WINXP on the CD to
/lib/firmware and rename as them as follows:

ACXGEN.BIN to tiacx100 This may be WLANGEN.bin.
TIACXRMX.BIN to tiacx100r0D
TIACXRFM.BIN to tiacx100r11

If you do not have a Windows CD, you can get the driver from

http://drivers.softpedia.com/progDownload/DLink-DWL-Driver-Download-20733.html

(I hope that URL doesn’t get mangled.) What you want is the
"dwl650+_drivers_307.zip. Unpacked, it provides the above files from Drivers/WinXP.

If you cannot get the Windows driver, send me a PM (to lwfinger) with your
E-mail address and I’ll send the files to you. I have the ZIP file here.

Larry

Well it seems that nothing is ever as it should be! I do have the disk with the WinXP drivers. However, the file names do not match up. (Another however) they are close. So I have AIRPLUS.BIN, APLUSGEN.BIN, APLUSMX.BIN, APLUSRFM.BIN, & APLUSRMX.BIN.

So I will make some assumptions about matching the ends of the file names with the information you have provided to see if that works.

Here is what I am going to try:

linux-o5jr:/media/VIC’S2GB/Drivers # mv APLUSGEN.BIN tiacx100
linux-o5jr:/media/VIC’S2GB/Drivers # mv APLUSRMX.BIN tiacx100r0D
linux-o5jr:/media/VIC’S2GB/Drivers # mv APLUSRFM.BIN tiacx100r11

yep:
Siemens Gigaset PC Card 108
Worked as soon as I plugged it in, booted the machine and enabled wireless. It already showed the correct essid and just asked the wpa2/psk password to type, I did so and wham I was online. I’m still stunning about that, no cli magic, no this, no that, just poof and working. I yanked out the ethernet plug and worked with it wireless from within the garden.

Well it sort of works! I have to turn the encryption off on my router. So there is something going on there.

Here is more info:

dmesg | grep acx
acx: this driver is still EXPERIMENTAL
acx: reading README file and/or Craig’s HOWTO is recommended, visit The ACX100/ACX111/TNETW1450 wireless network driver project (Linux, BSD) in case of further questions/discussion
acx: compiled to use 32bit I/O access. I/O timing issues might occur, such as non-working firmware upload. Report them
acx: running on a little-endian CPU
acx: PCI/VLYNQ module v0.3.37 initialized, waiting for cards to probe…
acx: found ACX100-based wireless network card at 0000:03:00.0, irq:10, phymem1:0xF4010000, phymem2:0xF4000000, mem1:0xe0ea2000, mem1_size:4096, mem2:0xe0fa0000, mem2_size:65536
acx: need to load firmware for acx100 chipset with radio ID 11, please provide via firmware hotplug:
acx: either one file only (<c>ombined firmware image file, radio-specific) or two files (radio-less base image file plus separate <r>adio-specific extension file)
requesting firmware image ‘tiacx100c11’
acx: firmware image ‘tiacx100c11’ was not provided. Check your hotplug scripts
requesting firmware image ‘tiacx100’
acx_write_fw (main/combined): 0
acx_validate_fw (main/combined): 0
requesting firmware image ‘tiacx100r11’
acx_write_fw (radio): 0
acx_validate_fw (radio): 0
acx100_s_init_wep: writing WEP options
acx: === chipset TNETW1100A, radio type 0x11 (RFMD), form factor 0x00 (unspecified), EEPROM version 0x04: uploaded firmware ‘Rev 1.7.0’ ===
creating /proc entry driver/acx_wlan0
creating /proc entry driver/acx_wlan0_diag
creating /proc entry driver/acx_wlan0_eeprom
creating /proc entry driver/acx_wlan0_phy
acx v0.3.37: net device wlan0, driver compiled against wireless extensions 22 and Linux 2.6.25.5-1.1-default
usbcore: registered new interface driver acx_usb
acx_set_status(1):SCANNING
acx_set_status(1):SCANNING
acx_set_status(1):SCANNING
acx_i_timer: adev->status=1 (SCANNING)
acx_set_status(2):WAIT_AUTH
acx_i_timer: adev->status=2 (WAIT_AUTH)
acx_set_status(3):AUTHENTICATED
acx_set_status(4):ASSOCIATED
acx_i_timer: adev->status=4 (ASSOCIATED)
acx: unknown EID 45 in mgmt frame at offset 87. IE: 2D 1A 1E 18 1A FF FF 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
acx: unknown EID 61 in mgmt frame at offset 147. IE: 3D 16 06 0F 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
acx: unknown EID 45 in mgmt frame at offset 87. IE: 2D 1A 1E 18 1A FF FF 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
acx: unknown EID 61 in mgmt frame at offset 147. IE: 3D 16 06 0F 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
acx: unknown EID 45 in mgmt frame at offset 87. IE: 2D 1A 1E 18 1A FF FF 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
acx: unknown EID 61 in mgmt frame at offset 147. IE: 3D 16 06 0F 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
acx: unknown EID 45 in mgmt frame at offset 87. IE: 2D 1A 1E 18 1A FF FF 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
acx: unknown EID 61 in mgmt frame at offset 147. IE: 3D 16 06 0F 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
acx: unknown EID 45 in mgmt frame at offset 87. IE: 2D 1A 1E 18 1A FF FF 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
acx: unknown EID 61 in mgmt frame at offset 147. IE: 3D 16 06 0F 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

BTW, in case I forget later, I really appreciate your help with this. Thank you.

vchapman wrote:
> Well it sort of works! I have to turn the encryption off on my router.
> So there is something going on there.
>
> Here is more info:
>
> dmesg | grep acx
> acx: this driver is still EXPERIMENTAL
> acx: reading README file and/or Craig’s HOWTO is recommended, visit
> ‘The ACX100/ACX111/TNETW1450 wireless network driver project (Linux,
> BSD)’ (http://acx100.sf.net) in case of further questions/discussion
> acx: compiled to use 32bit I/O access. I/O timing issues might occur,
> such as non-working firmware upload. Report them
> acx: running on a little-endian CPU
> acx: PCI/VLYNQ module v0.3.37 initialized, waiting for cards to
> probe…
> acx: found ACX100-based wireless network card at 0000:03:00.0, irq:10,
> phymem1:0xF4010000, phymem2:0xF4000000, mem1:0xe0ea2000,
> mem1_size:4096, mem2:0xe0fa0000, mem2_size:65536
> acx: need to load firmware for acx100 chipset with radio ID 11, please
> provide via firmware hotplug:
> acx: either one file only (<c>ombined firmware image file,
> radio-specific) or two files (radio-less base image file plus
> separate <r>adio-specific extension file)
> requesting firmware image ‘tiacx100c11’
> acx: firmware image ‘tiacx100c11’ was not provided. Check your hotplug
> scripts
> requesting firmware image ‘tiacx100’
> acx_write_fw (main/combined): 0
> acx_validate_fw (main/combined): 0
> requesting firmware image ‘tiacx100r11’
> acx_write_fw (radio): 0
> acx_validate_fw (radio): 0
> acx100_s_init_wep: writing WEP options
> acx: === chipset TNETW1100A, radio type 0x11 (RFMD), form factor 0x00
> (unspecified), EEPROM version 0x04: uploaded firmware ‘Rev 1.7.0’ ===
> creating /proc entry driver/acx_wlan0
> creating /proc entry driver/acx_wlan0_diag
> creating /proc entry driver/acx_wlan0_eeprom
> creating /proc entry driver/acx_wlan0_phy
> acx v0.3.37: net device wlan0, driver compiled against wireless
> extensions 22 and Linux 2.6.25.5-1.1-default
> usbcore: registered new interface driver acx_usb
> acx_set_status(1):SCANNING
> acx_set_status(1):SCANNING
> acx_set_status(1):SCANNING
> acx_i_timer: adev->status=1 (SCANNING)
> acx_set_status(2):WAIT_AUTH
> acx_i_timer: adev->status=2 (WAIT_AUTH)
> acx_set_status(3):AUTHENTICATED
> acx_set_status(4):ASSOCIATED

I see that this driver only supports WEP and not WPA. According to the
information on the linux-wireless site, there is a project that is converting
this driver into a version that uses the full-featured MAC code, as opposed to
the special one now in use. When that works, then WPA will be supported.

You have authenticated and associated. The only step left is to configure it
with YaST and NetworkManager. With the former, set up the device and say that
you want NM to control your network devices (under the Global tab), then using
the KNM applet in the lower right hand side of the screen, edit the connections
and add your details.

Larry

I have some fairly old stuff here. I think that WPA is newer than both my router and access card.

However, it seems to be all working at the moment with the WEP turned on. This is good!

There are some odd things. If I configure my card with network manager, my computer hangs. The keyboard lights flash and everything is frozen. So I have to power down the computer and remove the network card before powering it up again.

If I configure the card using the so called traditional method (ifup?) it works. However I don’t get any icon in the system tray and I can’t really see what network I am attached to. (I have other ways of doing this). So the network thing is a bit of a black box. This is OK as long as I am at home. If I ever venture to a wifi enabled cafe, it will be problematic.

Anyway at this point I am ready to leave it alone and move along to my next problem.

Thanks again for your help.

if network manager is giving you problems, try wifi-radar WiFi Radar no rpm’s for SuSE 11.0 yet, so you may have to compile

Andy

if network manager is giving you problems, try wifi-radar WiFi Radar no rpm’s for SuSE 11.0 yet, so you may have to compile

Andy

I have this same problem. I’m pretty new to “linux” I used to run pclinux os and ubuntu and they were pretty decent. But I heard all these good things about suse 11. And, this problem is a little over my head. It’s actually kind of annoying. I guess everything free isn’t always good. I try to stick up for linux because I believe in what it stands for but it’s hard at times when it doesn’t work. It’s a drag that that I fix computers all day and when I come home mine doesn’t work. Hopefully the evolution of Linux speeds up a little quicker.