Windows10 updated, no longer have dual boot to Opensuse leap

It had been a while since I used my laptop, so last night I powered it up and got 53 updates for the Opensuse, in stalled them all OK, rebooted and back in to Liux find, so thought I would also run up Windows.

Several hours later and I have just windows booting up, no option to select Opensuse leap at all.

In management services in Windows it looks as though the partitions are still there as it lists them all as RAW.

So after reading several articles it looks as though Grub has been disabled.

Can anyone let me know how I get this back please.

As far as I remember I had EUFI boot thingy?

I did not use Btrfs file system in linux but probably Ext4.

Any pointers would be appreciated or point me to a recent thread oin this as a quick search did not provide any answers, I am a bit dumb with this type of thing.

Adrian

Simply use the Windows boot loader, as subsequent intrusive updates of Windows probably will mess your dual boot again.
The easiest way to add other OSes from Windows is EasyBCD.

Windows 10 is a risk to your Linux health :slight_smile:

…up to now dual boot with Win7 is not THAT intrusive as Win10 (wait what the next monthly “servicewrapup” cr*p updates will bring…).

Win10: dedicated hardware, dedicated local network (isolated from important/private data). And nothing you really care for done/stored on Win10-infected hardware.

ZeroG, sorry to be dumb here, but I do not follow. When you say simply use the Windows boot loader, do you mean leave it as is?

I will search for EasyBCD, but what I would like to get back to is the Grub boot loader that stick me into OpenSuse unless I choose to scroll down to Windows 10 on start up.

I use Linux but am far from knowledgeable.

Adrian

While I am not using Windows at all, thus never had to solve these sorts of things, I am sure there is an openSUSE way of repairing Grub.

Thus the OP may want to wait for an openSUSE solution to be offered here.

@AdrianH

The problem you face is the uncontrollable update of Windows 10. Of course you can fix and again use Grub, but judging from the behavior of Windows 10, soon your Grub will be scrapped again.
Therefore no sense to lose time fixing the grub, just use the Windows 10 boot loader and add Tumbleweed through Windows 10 bcd command line, or the 3d party EasyBCD graphical utility.
If you however decide to restore grub, you can do it by loading openSuse from bootable DVD to fix it.

@suse_rasputin

True.
Windows 7 is like a pacifist version compared to the arrogant intrusive Windows 10.

@AdrianH

I’ve wrongly referred Tumbleweed in my previous post, you have Leap, however the procedure for restoring/fixing grub is 100% the same.

@ZeroG

Ok just downloaded EasyBCD installed and tried to run, again I stress I am not that good at this but
"EasyBCD has detected that your machine is currently booting in EFI mode. Due to the limitations set by Microsoft, many of EasyBCD’s multi-booting facilities have been disabled.

Press Ok to continue etc."

So when I see if I can add an entry I note it is all greyed out

Now I do not wish to do more damage by doing things I do not understand here so please note my caution.

I know that I the grub boot loader was also UEFI compatable and I thought the whole idea was that nothing went in to change it, apart from Windows apparently.

You mention: If you however decide to restore grub, you can do it by loading openSuse from bootable DVD to fix it.

So if I find my Leap Iso on disk how would I restore it without going through a full install?

Cheers

Adrian

@AdrianH

Curiously I find at the Wiki only the BIOS case for restoration of grub : https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Repair_MBR_after_Windows_install (3 steps procedure)

But your case is the other one with UEFI and no wiki for this in openSuse knowledge database??
However I can provide you the universal way for restoration of grub in the UEFI case despite the distro: https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/6 (11 steps procedure)
Keep in mind that step 8 is debian specific!
For Leap it should be ‘zypper in grub2-x86_64-efi’

I will print this off study and check it out, but and here is a big but.

I put the disk iso in the drive and it would not boot into it??

So I have a button on the PC that gets me access into the bios menu, digging around I found in the bios Boot options and under EFI there were three options:-

Windows Boot Manager
opensuse-secureboot
EFI PXE Network

I have rearranged the boot order removing the Windows 10 from the top of the list to:

opensuse-secureboot
Windows Boot Manager
EFI PXE Network

Saved the new settings and low an behold I am back with my dual boot machine.

So it must be that the Windows 10 Upgrade adds a new entry in the EFI, or rearranges the boot order so that just Windows boots up.

At the moment I am happy. I am sorry if I have wasted anyone’s time with this as this is just pure luck on my part, perhaps if anyone else comes accross this it would save them some time.

Thanks ZeroG for trying to help it is appreciated.

PC in question is a lenovo G50 Laptop.

Lets see how long I keep this boot option.

Adrian

Which is exactly what I’ve written many times in this Forum – glad to see that, you have exactly the same experience as me!

Actually this happens every time that, you boot into Windows – the UEFI order in the BIOS doesn’t change – the openSUSE Secure Boot remains at the top of the list . . .
It’s actually a useful “feature” (“It’s not a bug, it’s a feature!”) for Windows updates – at the reboot Windows auto-magically does it’s update things without any human intervention at the GRUB2 “choices” screen . . .

What??!! Nobody’s time has been wasted by your query . . . :wink:

Here too – Lenovo G505s with Dual-Boot Windows 8.1 and openSUSE Leap 42.1.

Only until the next time you boot into Windows – the way out is to power off from Windows and then restart with the Lenovo “Novo” button – choose “BIOS” – right arrow to flip through the tabs until “Exit and save” – do it!

I have switched off the machine, booted to windows, powered down from windows, powered back on and still have the machine giving me the dual boot option which is the open suse one.

I do not think after all this that it changes the boot order in bios when I select windows and power down from there, but, thinking aloud when the computer is doing an update such as the Anniversary one where the PC is needing to restart several times during the reboot, I could see it make sense to re-order the boot list so that it starts up in windows to keep the update going, pity it did not change the order back at the end.

Anyway still working.

Adrian

…keep a bookmark to this thread for the next Win update ;.)

Maybe the Lenovo G505s (AMD) BIOS/UEFI is sufficiently different (it is anyway) to that of the Lenovo G50 (Intel???) . . .
Given the number of “I’ve never seen that” comments, what I’m seeing may be a Lenovo AMD-only behaviour . . .