windows xp partition totally destroyed by xen/virtualization

Then you should go ahead, file the report and make your case, as I suggest previosly. And my ref to pilot error or as-yet-unknown data is not meant as a slight against you - if you were invulnerable to mistakes you would be the very first; nobody’s perfect, right?

Its odd that some users are so quick to blame it on user error without thinking twice about what the tool should have done.

That’s uncalled for and rude. As I just wrote above, no one is blaming it on you - and certainly not “so quick” - a heckuva lot of time has been invested in trying to help you, with not a single questioning of the veracity of your claim. It’s just a matter of allowing for all possibilities, and recognizing what 30 years of experience has taught, which is that in IT often not all things are exactly as they appear to be at the first. Getting angry, hurling accusations at the developers (nearly all of whom are volunteers doing this on their own nickel, btw), taking umbrage at someone trying to help you . . . that all just works against your own interests. Take a deep breath. Or take a pill. Or have a cocktail. Or grow up.

Signing off . . . (and, oh, next time don’t forget that backup) . . .

You are mistaken. I was referring to the comment windows xp partition totally destroyed by xen/virtualization - openSUSE Forums.
I very much appreciate your efforts and understand that you are in no position to know how much of it is user error or tool bug.

It’s just a matter of allowing for all possibilities, and recognizing what 30 years of experience has taught, which is that in IT often not all things are exactly as they appear to be at the first. Getting angry, hurling accusations at the developers (nearly all of whom are volunteers doing this on their own nickel, btw), taking umbrage at someone trying to help you . . . that all just works against your own interests. Take a deep breath. Or take a pill. Or have a cocktail. Or grow up.

I know all of that which is why I plan to file a bug report and take it to the actual developers, something most users won’t do.

BTW, I have been dealing with linux/OSS problems for years now and so I do know throwing anger (at the right people) is part of the game and is part of the process. A look at the LKML (linux kernel mailing lists) will make that very evident. I am not so much worried about somebody throwing anger at me as I am about somebody not understanding the real problem (as in the comment I referred to earlier) and making misleading/irrelevant remarks.

OK. We are pretty much on the same page. Although the “throwing anger” part is, in just my personal opinion, not constructive. In particular - and I’m not at all saying you did this - I get rankled when some folks hide behind the anonymity of the web, using behavior that would never be acceptable in person. Off my soap box now . . .

Given your experience and expertise, no doubt you can effectively replicate the problem and make a cogent case for your viewpoint. So IMO you should go ahead and do so; it can only benefit everyone. Good luck.