This is my first post here. I am new to Suse (used Ubuntu for a few years) and new to Virtual Box, so please bear with me on stupid questions, etc. Also, my command line skills are coming along, but I’m no Linus Torvalds.
So, I am running Oracle VM VB 4.3.6 r91406 and it has Windows 7 (64 bit) on it. My computer has 4 cores, and when I start up the VM, here’s what happens:
- Before starting the VM, I shut down pretty much every program in the Suse end of my computer. I may leave FF open with a few browser windows.
- Then, I hit the VM start button. It seems to focus on using only one core to start the VM, and that core usually spins up to 100%, and the fan runs like crazy, but the temperature stays in a good range. Usually 155 degrees F or less.
- For the next 2-5 minutes, the computer works to boot up the VM. During that time, my computer mostly locks up. Sometimes I can move the mouse pointer around, but sometimes not even that. I can’t open a command line or alt tab to a different program. I can’t alt F2.
- 90% of the time, I end up having to hard reboot because the computer stays frozen.
- 10% of the time, the VM will finally start. But it runs pretty slow.
Can anyone point me in a good direction for figuring this out? I’m happy to supply more info if that would be useful.