Windows bootloader corrumpted

Hello,

I installed OpenSuSE about three weeks ago, my PC was totally new.
Today I need to disable the “DEP” (Data Execution Prevention) on windows. I just need to enter a line in the cmd.exe.
But it always fails. I asked on a forum, and someone told me that my windows bootloader was corrupted, so I immediatly remembered of my DualBoot windows/opensuse.

Someone told me to follow these steps to get back my bootloader : Recovering the Windows Bootloader with EasyBCD - EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

Do you think this will erase or damage my linux part ?

Thanks

But it always fails.

Is there an error message? If so what is the exact message?

Something like “Can not open data store startup configuration. The file specified is not found.”

I’m not that sure that disabling any of windows ‘protection’ methods should be done lightly.

What do you want to achieve?

Do you think this will erase or damage my linux part ?
If you do fixmbr - Yes.

I take it you, like millions, didn’t actually get a proper copy of windows with your machine?

Just want to disable the Data Execution Prevention of windows because I need to execute a program which need it disabled.

My Windows copy is 100% legal…

Just want to disable the Data Execution Prevention of windows because I need to execute a program which need it disabled.

Talking in circles won’t help. Why does this program require special treatement? What is the program?

If you have a copy of the Win7 install DVD, try starting it.
On second screen after “Select Languages”, there is an option to Fix or rescue your installation (or something like that).
Follow that path, there is then a Fix Startup issues.

Might help, but I have never dealt with your specific problem, so am just guessing a solution here.

It is a program I need to play a game, it need to access private informations I don’t know and it scans process to prevent execution of cheating files. Without disabling the DEP, the program doesn’t want to work.

EDIT : @cmcgrath5035 : I don’t have any DVD, my PC was just shipped with windows installed on it, I did not have to enter any key or insert any DVD.

It is a program I need to play a game, it need to access private informations I don’t know and it scans process to prevent execution of cheating files. Without disabling the DEP, the program doesn’t want to work.

Unless you have good reason to trust this game I would reccomend avoiding it, do your other games require this?

It is for tournament playing. But doesn’t matter, if caf4926 told me that it will erase my linux part, I just won’t do it…

Sorry but, last thing.
Maybe it is possible to restore the windows 7 bootloader and integrate opensuse to the 7 bootloader?

w.r.t. no DVD - I would recommend you obtain one. You may be able to create one from the Laptop - the procedures are different among PC suppliers. Search for “create rescue or recovery disk” or something.
Sooner or later you may need it for some recovery operation.

I am not a heavy Win7 user, but have to agree with dvhenry - disabling DEP to play a game ???
Research it well before you do it.

Sorry but, last thing.
Maybe it is possible to restore the windows 7 bootloader and integrate opensuse to the 7 bootloader?

You can do this with EasyBCD, but do you want to do it to play a game that requires reducing the limited securitity of windows?

Oh yeah I will do that :).

I have to think about that. I’m on windows only to play games. When I want to surf or something else, I boot on OpenSuSE. I’m also paranoid, I always execute programs in sandbox and scan it with virustotal before. I really don’t know…

But thanks to every one for helping me :slight_smile:

You completely misunderstood me.
I never suggested it wasn’t.

‘A Proper Copy’ means: A Windows DVD and not some turdy recovery disk or partition.

FYI: Even if you do a fixmbr. It only nukes the first stage of grub. You can boot a SUSE live cd and fix grub in 2 minutes :smiley:

Sorry for misunderstanding, I have got my OpenSuSE live CD, I will do it if I need to fix grub.

Thanks

This guide use Parted Magic, but you can use the SUSE CD
Re-Install Grub Quickly with Parted Magic - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

On 2012-03-03 13:36, teol91 wrote:

> Just want to disable the Data Execution Prevention of windows because I
> need to execute a program which need it disabled.

That’s a bad thing, it opens you to malware infection.
If you want it to play a game, I would reformat when done with the game.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

On 2012-03-03 12:56, teol91 wrote:

> Do you think this will erase or damage my linux part ?

Depends, how were you dual booting previously?

• Did you install grub on the MBR?
  • Did you leave generic boot code on the MBR, and then installed grub on
    another partition?
  • Did you use bcdedit (windows boot selector) to select which to boot,
    windows or linux, and then put MBR on the second target partition of bcd?

The easybcd program is a good one, I doubt it will destroy Linux, it is
aware of it.
But how to repair your boot will depend on how you had it setup, and how it
broke - and I don’t see many clues in what you wrote.

> Something like “Can not open data store startup configuration. The file
> specified is not found.”

Doesn’t help much…

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)