Windows 7, Suse 11 Dual Boot Problem

I recently installed Windows 7 Beta alongwith OpenSuse 11 and Windows XP. The installation was perfect and smooth. However, I am now not able to get back the Grub Boot Menu. Windows 7 obviously overwrote the MBR and replaced Grub with the Windows Boot Loader from which I am able to boot into XP and Windows 7 without any problem. I used the SUSE 11 installation DVD(the repair installation option) to install GRUB again which was successful(according to the prompt I got). Under the Tab “Boot Loader Installation” the checkmark was on “Boot from Master Boot Record” only. However, I still see the windows boot loader on switching on my system and am unable to boot to my Suse 11 installation.
Any help regarding this issue will be highly appreciated. In the meanwhile, can somebody also suggest me some other method to boot to my SUSE installation(using the installation DVD or something)?

Maybe the problem is the same as often found with vista because both win7 and vista have the same bootloader (for you the vista bootloader will likely be on the lower windows partition – probably xp’s partition).
Fixing vista multiboot with openSUSE - openSUSE Forums

Thanks for the link. I have looked at your posts at “Fixing vista multiboot with openSUSE” thread and at “www.swerdna.net.au/linhowtoboot.html”. However, my problem seems a bit different or atleast that is what I think. I can’t get my SUSE 11 installation to boot because the GRUB menu doesn’t show up even after I performed a reinstallation of GRUB through the SUSE 11 installation DVD. I directly get the Windows Boot Loader on switching on my machine. Thus, I can’t find a way of modifying the GRUB configuration or perform an “assisted boot to the Suse installation” as you have described in Step 1 for openSUSE 11 at “www.swerdna.net.au/linhowtoboot.html”.
Please let me know if you require any additional information to help me out.

You must be installing grub incorrectly.

Give us

fdisk -l

Where do you think grub is installed, obviously not to MBR of the first boot HD. (It’s possible if you have 2 or more HD’s grub could be on one of those)

Sorry for the late reply. Under the Tab “Boot Loader Installation” the checkmark was on “Boot from Master Boot Record” and the installation was successful. So I think the bootloader did get installed on the MBR. Here is the partition table on my computer:
/dev/sda 149GB Samsung-SP1603C
/dev/sda1 51.3GB HPFS/NTFS (Windows XP)
/dev/sda2 97.6GB Extended
/dev/sda5 2.0GB Linux Swap
/dev/sda6 20.0GB Linux Native ext3(/)
/dev/sda7 43.0GB Linux Native ext3(/home)
/dev/sda8 32.6GB HPFS/NTFS (Windows 7 Beta)

Not sure where the partition info you gave came from, was it acquired in Windows?

Which partition has the active boot flag?

There is a good bit of info here: GRUB Boot Multiboot openSUSE Windows (2000, XP, Vista) using the Grub bootloader.

and re: Grub

GRUB bootloader - Full tutorial

GNU GRUB Manual 0.97

From what you said, it sounds like you placed grub to the MBR, but it doesn’t seem to be the case - somehow?

Please this:

sudo /sbin/fdisk -l

Then use your mouse in the console to copy/paste the info back here.

k, so i never really used linux so sorry guys, here’s the deal. i tried to set up openSUSE in addition to Windows 7 last night. everything worked except Windows 7 stopped hibernating and easyBCD refused to run because there was some error it tied but couldnt fix. moreover, the standard recovery didn’t help, to restore to windows bootloader i had to run Acronis Disk Director and make windows partition active.

so anyway,
My Question is: where does x64 live CD installation store the bootloader’s config (and it’s using grub, right?)
i found some readme file about that and it had various locations… and neither of them had anything that looked like a valid menu.lst. i need to know where it is so that i can point easyBCD’s neogrub (Win7) to it. i tried simply giving it the partition location but it didnt work.
thanks

You mean where does the installer put menu.lst?

It will be in the root partition /boot/grub/menu.lst
Which if your original fdisk info is correct, root is sda6

you’re right, i don’t know what happened, last time i checked if from openSUSE it told me that that file is something like 64 bytes large and cannot be open. anyway, everything is ok. i copy-pasted menu.lst from openSUSE’s grub into easyBCD’s neogrub. so thanks, everything worked…

well except that to load into openSUSE’s grub i had to choose [Windows] )) apparently partition notations turned out to be different) in my case openSUSE is on (hd0,6) according to openSUSE. and on (hd0,1) according to NeoGrub.