Windows 7 Leaked By Microsoft?

DailyTech - Report Accuses Microsoft of Purposefully Leaking Windows 7 Beta

It’s actually an interesting theory, but the question has to be why leak it when you are about to release it to the world as a public beta.

Although the positive is that it has created a lot of interest and media attention.

I think you answered your own question there.

There doesn’t seem to be any evidence that Microsoft orchestrated this leak, however.

We have the Beta at work. Downloaded via technet. I got it on 31/12. So its not installed on anything yet. I will get it up and running on monday (5/1/09).
Its interesting that many government bodies in australia have managed to negotiate an extended life cycle for XP. The one I work for would loose 78% of their desktops by moving to Vi$ta. Thats 78% of 87000+ machines.
Is the rushed release of Windows7 and the relaxed licensing an admission on M$ part?

M$ is getting nowhere with Win 7. I again feel it won’t live upto the pre hype when it releases.

Review and screenshots of Windows 7 beta: http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/win7_beta.asp

Looks like the new taskbar a copy of KDE4’s panel! :stuck_out_tongue:

looks nothing like KDE4

What it looks like is what it should look like since the person running it is the person who ran office 2007. Which is why it looks like mix of vista and office 07

What running office 07 to do with the appearance of taskbar?

I had a read of freedguy’s link. M$ will have a great deal of trouble selling (dollar wise) this release so soon after vista. I own vista and paid for it. Tell me why I should be coughing up again?

Ok, that was just my opinion :slight_smile:

I don’t think they will have a problem for a few reasons

One being the uptake of Vista has not been that great

The other being it is the natural cycle for microsoft, it isn’t that soon after vista, vista has been in the market now for 2 years, three years by the time 7 is released, maybe longer if they hold off.

If you look at the release cycles of microsoft it is about right. Plus the big point, by the time this is released there will be a lot of XP computers ready to be ditched and new computer brought.

the funny thing is that when kde4 came out there was a lot of people abusing the KDE team saying it looked like vista. Now people claim 7 looks like KDE.

rotfl!

But to be honest, except the dark semi-transparent taskbar I didn’t see any similarity between Win7 and KDE4. :slight_smile:

AlienHealer wrote:
> ‘DailyTech - Report Accuses Microsoft of Purposefully Leaking Windows 7
> Beta’ (http://tinyurl.com/7nttrd)

Who cares?

Why should anyone care?

Because I depend on M$ for absolutely nothing–I sure do not care. So
can you, unless you CHOOSE to pay their exorbitant charges!

You should post more often on the M$ boards–THERE, folks do care.

a lot of people care, because a lot of people dual boot between windows and linux.

Just because you don’t, and are just another negative person towards them doesn’t mean others hold the same attitude as you.

you should let people discuss without inserting your negative rubbish telling them what to do.

I care. Supporting M$ products feeds my family and pays the bills. Its actually a wonderful thing that their products do require so much support. Of my clients running *nix servers vs those running M$ environments, I spend an incredabley disproportionate amount of time logged in to M$ machines.

like it or not, a change from M$ has a ripple effect throughout the IT using world. Even for us SuSE’ers. Linux has spent a lot of years trying to be as user friendly as Windows. No one can deny that. Now thanks to the Gnome and KDE teams (mostly) Linux for many is more user friendly.

Whats that old line? “keep your friends close, your enemies even closer”

They are quite fair in my opinion.
I mean a new Vista Home Basic is available in my country starting at € 69,-](Besturingssystemen vergelijken & kopen - Tweakers). I’ve seen advertisements for PS3 games for the same price.

But yeah… windows itself is the only thing I would find my money worth, the other products are too pricey for me… but then again I often don’t need 95% of the features and their opensource counterpart runs on windows as well.

With windows 7 it does look like they took things to heart and basically made the whole thing a lot ‘lighter’ to run… for some reason I find it to look a lot like a heavily ‘pimped’ KDE3.

Oh and now I’m going rather offtopic… but just had to share. Microsoft got some free advertising in Kemeko Deluxe DX!
Sarcasm or engrish… I don’t know :slight_smile:* <- (Couldn’t thumbnail it for some reason… think the thumb img is corrupt)*

In my opinion: Windows XP or a Linux distribution is enough for me, where I often choose to enjoy Linux a lot more because of the constant infections I and many others get with Windows systems.

All talk about Vista or Windows 7 just makes me tired. :Z

XP is a venerable and sickly beast, god love her. Let me explain. We do OEM installs of XP. The update process involved in getting a clients XP ver 2002 up to XP SP3 breaks as many installs as not. Thats 5 years of patching and upgrades. At some point most machines have a meltdown and usually the updater has to be repaired at the least.

There is a section on The Linux Home Page at Linux Online that attempts to assess the realtime expense related to each new distro release if each individual was paid for their time. I will attempt to find it again and post a link back here. The cost (from memory is greater than the release of Vista)is huge.

Vista isnt bad. In fact if all you do is game, its a fantastic environment provided you have a "dream’ machine. My specs on that rig (please dont hate me)
AMD Phenom 9750 X4
Gigabyte 770FX
Kingston KHX1066 1GB x 4
Asus EAH4870 1GB GDDR5
WD1600YS OS Drive
WD3200YS x 2 RAID 1 Data

Thats a **** load of hardware to run Vista effectively. But if Windowze7 can utilise this investment in hardware better than vista… I’ll be gaming on Wondows 7!

What!? Microsoft copying someone else’s work…well lets see there was DR-DOS and DOS Mac OS and Windows 9x KDE 3.x and Windows XP Mac OS X and Windows Vista so…KDE 4.x and Windows 7. No way…its just a considence

saltyp wrote:
> XP is a venerable and sickly beast, god love her. Let me explain. We do
> OEM installs of XP. The update process involved in getting a clients XP
> ver 2002 up to XP SP3 breaks as many installs as not. Thats 5 years of
> patching and upgrades. At some point most machines have a meltdown and
> usually the updater has to be repaired at the least.
>
>
Might just be easier looking into using nlite to slipstream service pack
3 and any other hotfixes you need right into the install cd.