windows 10 upgrade ruined my opensuse 13.2

Well by default (e.g a clean disk) Win 7 installs two partitions: 1st, a small “system partition” at beginning of disk (reserved, contains boot loader + R&R environment), and required for BitLocker encryption; 2nd, a “boot partition” C: containing the system files. Note I deliberately used Windows terminology there. This would be a common configuration for a laptop purchased with Win 7 installed, and it seems likely that upgrading to Win 10 from within Win 7 should be OK. Question: Does it keep/update the first partition, and install Win 10 in the 2nd partition i.e. first “boot partition” from where the upgrade commenced??

Apparently there are other Win 7 configurations. For example, that would be different if Win7 had been upgraded from a previous version with a single “boot partition” e.g Vista (btw supported Dynamic Disk), there would be no separate “system partition” created. If the Win 10 upgrade commences from within that Win 7, why would the upgrader have a problem finding the right partition?

seeing as windows MUST be the ONLY os that there is and NO ONE would ever install a second OS

No, not really because Win 7 could be installed in a dual boot or multiboot configuration “after” any older Windows version, into a separate “boot partition”, by using a “custom” path in the Win 7 Installer. See - the Howto(s) on the Microsoft Windows site.

There are two ways to upgrade, from within Win 7 or externally using a Win 10 iso.

Hmm, but, Microsoft says:
<Microsoft Learn: Build skills that open doors in your careerUnless specified otherwise, Windows initially partitions a drive as a basic disk by default. You must explicitly convert a basic disk to a dynamic disk. However, there are disk space considerations that must be accounted for before you attempt to do this.
And elsewhere, Microsoft also states that normally one doesn’t boot (Windows) from a dynamic disk.

I’ve installed 64-bit Windows 10 Home full version in a VirtualBox running on an openSUSE 13.2 system – can’t remember any questions about LDM or dynamic disk at installation time – and, in that environment Windows tells me that it only uses two partitions – Main and a protected system partition.

And you believe anything MS says? Boy do I have a bridge I’d like to sell you.:stuck_out_tongue:

Given, that I am a founding member of the “Not very amused with Microsoft” Club (member since Windows 3.1) and that personally, I have never had any MS-DOS machines (only DR-DOS . . .), NO! – I recommend that one should exercise extreme caution with user support text from the Redmond folks – However, one must say that the SDK, Foundation Classes, .NET and C# documentation and programmer support is somewhat better . . . >:)

Possibly the issue being discussed here revolves around the belief that when one upgrades any MS Windows part of a dual-boot system, the upgraded MS Windows portion will not affect the other portion(s) on that system – including any other MS Windows system(s) on that box . . .

I am beginning to suspect, that when a major Windows upgrade is executed it can only function correctly if that MS Windows is the only OS on the disk – I suspect that MS will not guarantee, that the (system) disk-partitioning will remain the same from one major Windows version to another.However, I must admit that I had luck with an OEM Windows 8 box which was upgraded to Windows 8.1 – one could, possibly, believe that Windows 8 to 8.1 is not a major version upgrade . . .

Checking my Windows 10 Home VM, the “Action” menu of the MS Disk Management utility offers neither “Convert to Dynamic Disk…” nor “Convert to GPT Disk” – and both partitions are “Layout: Simple” and “Type: Basic”.
So, it seems that Windows LDM / Dynamic Disk depends on:

• enough disks present (more than one);
  • enough partition space;
  • boot partition or not;
  • removable media and/or portable computers – dynamic disks possibly not supported;
  • Windows version – “Home” possibly doesn’t support dynamic disks.

But, given the the Windows version allows dynamic disks, the Redmond folks claim that:“However, you can use dynamic disks with other operating systems, such as UNIX. To do this, you need to create a separate volume for the non-Windows operating system.
[INDENT=2]Do I believe them? – possibly . . . :wink:
[/INDENT]