Win8.1 preview

I decided to give the Windows 8.1 preview a testrun, so I downloaded the *.iso from Micro$oft and placed it on a partition I use for backup and downloads.
Then I went to - yast -> virtualisation and tried to install it with KVM but no matter what I did, I just got this Permission Denied error.

internal error process exited while connecting to monitor: qemu-kvm: -drive file=/lager/Up-Down/w8.1/WindowsBlue-ClientwithApps-64bit-English-X1899605.iso,if=none,id=drive-ide0-1-0,readonly=on,format=raw: could not open disk image /lager/Up-Down/w8.1/WindowsBlue-ClientwithApps-64bit-English-X1899605.iso: Permission denied

Of course I tried to add permissions on the *.iso file, but that didn’t help.

Then I got desperate and moved the *.iso file to /var/lib/kvm and it installed win8 without any trouble. Was that weird or what?
After installation I could move disk0.raw to any partition or harddrive and boot it with KVM right into Windows.
Since thaen I’ve been fiddling a little around with the install process and as far as I can tell, it fails every time the disk0.raw file and the *.iso are not located on the same partition.

But hold on. the worst is yet to come. It gets even weirder. I decided to do a final test with a openSUSE12.3.iso, and that just installs like a dream, no matter if the *iso file is on another partition or even on another harddrive.

Now i wondering if it is a bug in KVM, or it’s just M$ that screwed something up, as usual??

You neglect to tell us the permission on the file and your current user name.

ls -l

Windows is very fickle about hardware configuration. For example, changing two or more components requires re-registration. You can’t install it on an external drive, either. It might not like your virtual hardware setup. Strange if that would lead to a read error, but who knows?

yes exactly. I’m not the least bit surprised that there could be problems with installing Windows on virtual hardware, but I expected the error messages to come from the Windows installer. It’s that permission denied error from kvm that made me look for a solution in the wrong place.

but I guess it’s not a big problem anymore, now that I know how to handle it.

First, did you update your system first

zypper up

If you didn’t, then the original install utility on the DVD will have a bug I reported (and since then fixes have been implemented everywhere) that prepends a string in front of the path to the iso file, invalidating the path.

Using KVM (openSUSE 12.3)

I’ve installed Windows 8.0 several times successfully now in KVM. First installs had quirky problems but recent installs have been running very nicely.

I cannot imagine how anything in an iso or the location of the iso should be of any importance. My directory holding all my install isos just happens to be in a subdirectory of Downloads, but it should work practically anywhere… The KVM just needs read-only access.

So, you need to be precise and detailed about what you’re encountering…

1. Verify you’re installing by the following
    YAST > Virtualization > Create Virtual Machine

2 When the “Create a Virtual Machine” runs,
You click “forward”
Select “I need to install an operating system” then click Forward
Select “Windows 8 (x64)” then click Forward

On the Summary Page,
You click “Disks”
Click CDROM button
Browse to ISO and click OK
Now, if you didn’t update your system you will notice the displayed path to your ISO file is incorrect
Click Apply (Always make sure your Primary HDD file is listed first, followed by secondary HDD files, listing your virtual CDROMs last)

HTH,
TSU

Yes i do a zypper up and a zypper patch at least 2 times a week. I just did i again and there was nothing to install

zypper info kvm

Softwarekilde: openSUSE-12.3-Oss
Navn: kvm
Version: 1.3.0-3.3.2
Ark: x86_64
Leverandør: openSUSE
Installeret: Ja
Størrelse installeret: 10,9 MiB
Oversigt: Kernel-based Virtual Machine

Neither can I, but nevertheless that’s what happened.

Verified

Verified

Verified

The path is correct

**internal error process exited while connecting to monitor: qemu-kvm: -drive file=/lager/Up-Down/w8.1/WindowsBlue-ClientwithApps-64bit-English-X1899605.iso,if=none,id=drive-ide0-1-0,readonly=on,format=raw: could not open disk image /lager/Up-Down/w8.1/WindowsBlue-ClientwithApps-64bit-English-X1899605.iso: Permission denied
But if I just move the windows.iso file to the root partition where the disk0.raw is supposed to be created, and edit the path to the CD-ROM to the new location, it installs without problems.

Or if I edit the path to the disk0.raw file, so it is placed on the same partition as the windows.iso file, it installs without any problems.

But you are absolutely right. It doesn’t really make any sense

Wait a minute. I’m just doing a

fsck.ext4 -f

on the partition where the windows.iso file is saved, and it seems to find a lot of errors. Maybe the problem is located on the partition and not KVM/Windows

Yeah, now the scan is finished and the Windows.iso file is corrupted. I’ll download it again tomorrow, and see what happens.

On 2013-07-09 19:26, Double-G wrote:

>
> Code:
> --------------------
>
> zypper info kvm
>
> Softwarekilde: openSUSE-12.3-Oss
> Navn: kvm
> --------------------

Just a comment. When the system language is not English, you should do,
in order to post here, like this:

minas-tirith:~ # LANG=en_US.UTF-8 zypper info kvm
Loading repository data...
Warning: Repository 'openSUSE-11.4-Update' appears to outdated. Consider
using a different mirror or server.
Reading installed packages...

or this:

minas-tirith:~ # LANG=C zypper info kvm
Loading repository data...
Warning: Repository 'openSUSE-11.4-Update' appears to outdated. Consider
using a different mirror or server.
Reading installed packages...
^C

That way we can all read it, regardless of local languages of sender and
reader :slight_smile:

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

okay, here’s what happened this morning. I got a write error, when I tried to save the file, so I decided to scan the drive with a seagate diagnostic tool and that made the harddrive crash totally. I can see it in bios, but I can’t access it at all.

So I think that it’s safe to say that the whole thing was due to a hardware failure, and my apology for the waste of your time.

thank you. I had no idea you could do that. it will come very handy in the future.

On 2013-07-10 11:06, Double-G wrote:
>
> okay, here’s what happened this morning. I got a write error, when I
> tried to save the file, so I decided to scan the drive with a seagate
> diagnostic tool and that made the harddrive crash totally. I can see it
> in bios, but I can’t access it at all.

I suggest you activate the smartd daemon and run automated periodic
tests on disks. That way you /may/ get advance notice of failures.

> So I think that it’s safe to say that the whole thing was due to a
> hardware failure, and my apology for the waste of your time.

No waste, at least for me: it is instructive :slight_smile:

It may save us time in the future in a similar situation. Many of us try
to learn from the problems others experiment :wink:

> Code:
> --------------------
> > >
> > minas-tirith:~ # LANG=C zypper info kvm
> --------------------

> thank you. I had no idea you could do that. it will come very handy in
> the future.

Welcome :slight_smile:

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)