Win7/Opensuse 13.1 dual boot install issue

Quirky problem here. I’ve got an Acer Aspire V3-551 laptop that came w/Windows 8 on it. Due to training class requirements (and personal disgust with Win 8), I disabled the UEFI BIOS mode back to Legacy, and then successfully installed Win 7 Pro. I want to dual boot w/OS 13.1 (as I’ve done with almost all previous machines I own where I need Windows due to work VPN client issues), however, my install procedure is a no go. I currently have 3 partitions, the MS reserved partition (100MB as /dev/sda1), the C drive (150GB as /dev/sda2) and then a data drive D (currently 548GB as /dev/sda3; will use this to share data between Win/Linux). Reading through Google search videos/threads indicate the installer should be able to shrink one of the partitions (I was looking to use D) and then partition accordingly to install Opensuse. However, when I get to the Suggested Partitioning page of the install, the message comes up in red as: “No automatic proposal possible Specify mount points manually in the Partitioner dialog”. I then go to the edit the partitions, but cannot add a new one (if the space is available), resize the D drive or do anything else due to the following message: “Yast2 Error: Operation not permitted on disk /dev/sda. The partitioning on disk /dev/sda is either not readable or not supported by the partitioning tool parted used to change the partition table. You can use the partitions on disk /dev/sda as they are or format them and assign mount points, but cannot add, edit, resize or remove partitions from that disk here. You can initialize the disk partition tavle to a sane state in the Expert Partitioner by selecting “Expert -> Create New partition table” but this will destry all data on all parttions on the disk”. No thanks to that, I unfortunately need Winblows.

I’ve tried in Windows to resize the D drive down, create D smaller and leave an unpartitioned piece of hard drive (thought that would be best) and even tried creating an unformatted partition, but the same error sequence always comes up. Any ideas what I need to do to overcome this? Thanx in advance.

Be sure that Windows is not using dynamic disk. Also if you simply shrink things from Windows and leave free space the installer will use that free space. Since you already have 3 partitions and using MBR portioning it will want to create an extended partition and then inside that 3 logical (swap,root,home). Also note that since the original disk was set up for EFI there can be some conflicts if the old (efi based)tables still exist. Be sure you boot the installer in legacy mode or it may get confused.

If Windows won’t adjust size then there is a problem with the partition tables and confusion between EFI and MBR. Best to totally zero out the drive (at least the first track) then reinstall everything in legacy being careful not to let EFI mode interfere.

Note I believe Win 7 can be installed EFI mode just secure boot is not supported.

*Be sure that Windows is not using dynamic disk. Also if you simply  shrink things from Windows and leave free space the installer will use  that free space. Since you already have 3 partitions and using MBR  portioning it will want to create an extended partition and then inside  that 3 logical (swap,root,home). Also note that since the original disk  was set up for EFI there can be some conflicts if the old (efi  based)tables still exist. Be sure you boot the installer in legacy mode  or it may get confused.*

If Windows won’t adjust size then there is a problem with the partition tables and confusion between EFI and MBR. Best to totally zero out the drive (at least the first track) then reinstall everything in legacy being careful not to let EFI mode interfere.
Note I believe Win 7 can be installed EFI mode just secure boot is not supported. *

From what I can see in the Disk Manager in Winblows, all the partitions are basic, so no Dynamic concerns. I’m able to resize in Windows, but can’t in the Linux install (as stated, every try gives me that error sequence). I couldn’t install Win7 in EFI mode, nor will anything boot in that mode since I blew away Win8. How do I tell if the install is in Legacy or EFI mode (I’m assuming Legacy by default, or what is the Boot Options switch I need)? I’m trying not to do a Winblows reinstall, as that would take more time than this should. Thanks again

Install “gptfdisk-fixparts”, and then run it to fix the partition table.

If you don’t have 13.1 installed on that computer, then download the live rescue image, and write that to a USB. Boot the USB, and install “gptfdisk-fixparts” to that USB.

I guess it also works installing to a CD, except the install only goes to a ramdisk and will be lost on reboot. So a USB is more useful for this.

The “fixparts” command fixes partition tables by removing remnants of left-over GPT partition tables. I’m guessing that (the left-over remnants) is the cause of your problem.

Note you will install grub2 in legacy and grub2-efi in EFI . But that is just part of it . You will NOT have a /boot/efi partition you will normally use the MS/MBR partitioning and NOT GPT.

Having both GPT partition tables and MBR partition tables confuses things.

The fixparts option to repair did the trick, going through the install now. Thanks for the tips!