Win XP and Linux - HD problem

I bought a new computer (HP Pavillion dv6000) when I came to work in India a few months ago and found that it had VISTA installed. They would not change it to XP.

Finally, I found the time to erase VISTA by installing SuSe. I then took my XP Pro disk and tried to install XP only to find that it could not find a Hard Disk!

I managed to format 9,7GB as FAT32 and tried again, but it still cant find a hard disk.

Any ideas?

I am happy with SuSe, but have so many important things in Windows (my organizer with files, my e-mail with old archived e-mails etc), so I really need to get XP to work too.

Appreciate any help I can get!

Lon
Mumbai (Bombay), India

With the experiences I have had with dual booting, it’s best to install Windows first, then Linux. The reason being that Windows will hog the MBR and eat your linux bootloader. (In other words, you wont be able to boot to linux)

However, I’m not sure why the Windows intallation would not see a harddrive. Regardless of its format or wether linux is installed on it or not, it should still recognize the hardware.

I have previously used Linux to erase XP (several years ago) when it had become exceptionally unstable, then re-installed it again “fresh” so to speak.

Therefore, I hadn’t expected to have a problem with the installation CD of XP after formating the disk with Linux.

I even formated (from inside Linux)9,7GB as FAT32 for Windows to use as C. The XP disk still couldn’t see anything. I have two XP installation CDs, one for English and another for a Swedish version, neither one sees a hard disk!

Perhaps someone else has had a problem with XP not being able to see a hard disk?

Check in your BIOS
There may be a setting for the hard disc that is preventing this disc from being seen by XP. Lots of Vista shipped units have this feature.
I’m trying to get my little grey cells working - but I can’t remember the details. But I had to switch my Laptop to ‘Compatibility’ mode.
I’ll check my bios and come back soon.

I checked and it will be under SATA Controller area
Look for a setting AHCI mode
and change to ‘Compatibility’ mode. (Your bios might name it slightly differently)

I just came back from the school’s basement where our computer department is exiled. A guy there suggested that I go to BIOS and make sure that “SATA hard disk” is disabled.

That might be what “caf4926” was talking about as well.

I’ll check it out when I get home tonight around 9pm.

As I am on Indian Standard Time (IST)it would mean GMT + 5,5hr.

I’ll get back with results then.

With a little luck I will be able to install my Swedish XP Pro and then (Beta_Grumm is right about it) I’ll re-install SuSe Linux again so that I have both.

I have Phoenix BIOS Setup Utility.

No mention is made anywhere of SATA.

The headings are:

1. Main (Time, Date, Log)
  2. Security (Administrator Password, Power-on Password)
  3. Diagnostics (Primary Hard disk self test, Memory self-test)
  4. System Configuration (Language, Button Sound, Processor C4 State, Boot Options)
  5. Exit (Exit saving changes, Exit discarding changes, Load Setup Defaults)

I guess this computer was intended for bean-counters in some stock market office? :\

Any ideas out there in the electronic void?

Any and all advice appreciated.

Lon

Hi Lon,

Setting the BIOS SATA setting to compatible or similar won’t help as your XP install CD does not contain the correct drivers to detect your SATA controller.

You will need to either to 1) When the XP CD starts hit <F6> to supply the drivers via floppy or 2) slipstream the drivers into a new install CD (nlite is very useful for this: nLite - Deployment Tool for the bootable Unattended Windows installation

Method 2 is often better.
I’ve had my fair share of blue screens popping up as soon as I 'fed ’ xp the needed/updated driver using method 1.
Using method 2 normally just works and you have your install media for a next time you might need to reinstall.

Take your time to read up on the steps needed to make your own install CD using nlite.

This should be the driver you need : Intel Matrix Storage Manager

Cheers,
Wj

LonMcDaniel wrote:
> I have Phoenix BIOS Setup Utility.
>
> No mention is made anywhere of SATA.
>
> The headings are:
> 1) Main (Time, Date, Log)
> 2) Security (Administrator Password, Power-on Password)
> 3) Diagnostics (Primary Hard disk self test, Memory self-test)
> 4) System Configuration (Language, Button Sound, Processor C4 State,
> Boot Options)
> 5) Exit (Exit saving changes, Exit discarding changes, Load Setup
> Defaults)
>
> I guess this computer was intended for bean-counters in some stock
> market office? :
>
> Any ideas out there in the electronic void?
>
> Any and all advice appreciated.
>
> Lon
>
>

If the disk is SATA, how old are your XP CDs? You may need to slipstream
SATA drivers or load them from floppy (if there is one available).

You could use “yast -> hardware -> hardware information” to get useful
info - on this system it actually lists the SATA drive under IDE, but
with the “sata-via” driver.

PeeGee

Asus M2V-MX SE, AMD LE1640, openSuSE 11.0 x86-64/XP Home dual boot
Asus M2NPV-VM, AMD 64X2 3800+, openSuSE 10.3 x86-64/XP Home dual boot