Will VirtualBox v6.1.0 be coming to LEAP 15.1

Will VirtualBox v6.1.0 be coming to LEAP 15.1?

Regards

Hi,

I have it here.

https://paste.opensuse.org/view/raw/65695529

As far as I can see virtualbox 6.0.12 is shipped with openSUSE Leap 15.1 on the OSS repo. Thus when you have installed another one, it is not from the OSS repo. and it would probably of help to the OP when you would have explained where you installed it from.

To @xlis.
As Leap versions (like 15.1) never change to newer versions of the packages that are part of it, the answer is: No. That is the basic stability idea behind Leap.

But it is possible that others build such newer versions for e.g. 15.1 on other repos You could of course search for it at https://software.opensuse.org/search, or someone could point you to it.

I do not see any Virtualbox 6.1 on OBS.
Maybe Larry Finger is working on it.

Right, I forgot to mention that the package came from vbox.org

VirtualBox versions 6.0.6, 6.0.8, 6.0.10, and 6.0.12 are
in the LEAP 15.1 Update repos.

Version 6.0.14 released on Oct 15th, 2019 is not in the Update repos.

Hence my question, since 6.0.14 was skipped, should I also expect 6.1.0
to be skipped?

In the meantime I’m using 6.1.0 installed from the VirtualBox web site.
I just prefer the openSUSE port of VirtualBox for better integration (not
having to rebuild VirtualBox every time YAST installs a kernel update).

Regards.

Virtualbox 6.0.14 is in the Virtualization Repo:
https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Virtualization/openSUSE_Leap_15.1/

Most probably because they had something that qualified as Security (or Recommended) enough to offer it as a patch.

Probably because it contained nothing that qualified as a needed Securiry (or Recommended) patch.

As said, a new Leap version will have the newest version of a product that is released upstream in time for being tested (and passed the testing) in the integral test of a that Leap version. Which is before that Leap is released.
So there will be no new version of a product publushed as a patch (in the Update repo) for that particular Leap version. Only Security patches will be offered, when needed these are backposrted to the product version belonging to that Leap version (thus you will have the security, but you will not see the new version number, but a new build number added to the existing version number of the product.

If you want to call this policy “skipping” then that is up to you. But it is as intended for Leap. When you are fond of having the newest (still after passing testing), then use Tumbleweed.

When you realy need (or want for no apparent reason) a newer version, the start looking in other repos of the Build Service, or other places outside openSUSE.

I hope this is clear now.

IMO a “feature request” should be submitted through the openSUSE bugzilla requesting a VBox 6.10 build.
It’s not a hard, fixed standard that each LEAP fixes on a particular version and won’t provide an updated version… If the reasons are important enough, updates are built, tested and made available (I’ve requested such in the past which were approved, like for docker).

I don’t think that LEAP Users should have to wait a year and a half from now to have VBox 6.1 (EOL 15.0 and the VBox 6.1 launch happened approx the same time)

TSU

Sorry, I didn’t mean to stir things up.

I’d just gotten used to new versions of Virtualbox appearing
in the Update repo shortly after their release by Oracle.

Thanks for all of the feedback.

Regards

Hi
Consider using an open source solution or use direct from Oracle. I’m surprised it hasn’t been dropped (which has been indicated in the past) by the maintainer considering the nightmare it can be at times to even build…

Thanks malcomlewis.

VirtualBox is Open Source.

I’m currently using the version 6.1.0 package for openSUSE
downloaded from the Oracle VirtualBox website, https://www.virtualbox.org

Going forward, I will continue to use the openSUSE packages from that site.

Thanks & Regards

This is true only for core packages coming from SLE. And even then there are exceptions. For other packages it is entirely up to individual maintainer.

Do you realize that a) there is one single persons maintaining VB for openSUSE and b) this person is quite unlikely to be aware of this thread?

If you have good reasons to think update is necessary, you should contact maintainer and discuss it. Even better, step in to help maintaining VB, this way you can release new package for openSUSE as soon as released by Oracle.

As far as I am aware this is the policy for Leap and of course can only be true for the OSS repo.

And it is the main reason why I use Leap: no changes, no surprises.

Actually, I consider your question entirely valid.
If you didn’t ask your question, you can be sure hundreds or thousands of others are asking the same question in their own minds unless and until openSUSE becomes current, even if they don’t post.

And, there are consequences to being out of sync with what’s current… It will become ever more common when people deploy an openSUSE as a Guest installed on a MSWindows or Mac HostOS will find that their Guest Additions from openSUSE don’t work.

I’m all for holding back if there is a technical issue, but if there aren’t any holding openSUSE back, as I said I don’t think LEAP 15.1 Users should have to wait a year and a half for 6.1 (or whatever version will exist that far into the future).

TSU

I asked, you answered.

I apologize for upsetting folks.

So, going forward, I will continue using the VirtualBox openSUSE packages
provided by Oracle, downloaded from https://www.virtualbox.org

I believe this subject has been discussed thoroughly, and enough.

Thanks & Regards

Hi
The guest extensions are not supported. The guest modules are part of the kmp…

Ref: https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2020-01/msg00001.html

I think it should be dropped, just download from Oracle…

I think this list message cannot be relied on,
I suspect a confusion of terminology
And I don’t speak the language in the error log (French? Belgian? something else?)
I might have to try to replicate whatever the person was trying to do building his Guest Additions (I’m assuming) to see exactly the cause of his errors.

Bottom line…
In VBox terminology, you can talk about Guest Additions and HostOS Extensions, if you confuse those terms, people can be expected to themselves not understand what you are saying.

Guest Additions have always been open source are not the same as but involve using Kernel Modules and in the past have never involved proprietary code, so openSUSE presumably has never had a problem pre-compiling and re-distirbuting.
But the HostOS Extensions are another story… Those contain code with restrictive licenses which violate openSUSE policy so have always had to be downloaded from Oracle even if everything else in VBox is installed from openSUSE.

Whatever that list message was about, the person was trying to do something in either the Guest or the HostOS, it’s inconceivable that even if he ran into some kind of licensing issue that the problem could affect both HostOS and Guest simultaneously.

TSU

Hi
Excuse me? Larry Finger IS the openSUSE VirtualBox Maintainer and a Kernel wireless developer, I am pretty sure he knows what he is talking about…!

VirtualBox 6.1.0 for LinuxopenSUSE 15.0

I’m assuming that, Oracle mean “openSUSE Leap 15.0” and that, therefore, it’s been built against the Leap 15.0 kernel …

• I have absolutely no idea as to what the effect on run-time performance and reliability is, due to the kernel version mismatch …

[HR][/HR]BTW, VirtualBox “Guest Additions”:

> VBoxManage list dvds
UUID:           dc529630-cef2-4d90-8418-86a513d3c1fe
State:          created
Type:           readonly
Location:       /home/xxx/.config/VirtualBox/VBoxGuestAdditions_6.0.12.iso
Storage format: RAW
Capacity:       73 MBytes
Encryption:     disabled
 > 

• If an openSUSE Guest then, install the “virtualbox-guest-kmp-default” package in the running openSUSE Guest – presumably other Linux distros have a similar package for their environments.

VirtualBox “Extension Packs” are another issue – let the VirtualBox host find the appropriate Extension Pack from the Oracle site and then install it « User ‘root’ password needed … ».

• If trouble occurs then, use “VBoxManage” to clean up any Extension Pack versions from previous VirtualBox versions:

> VBoxManage list extpacks
Extension Packs: 1
Pack no. 0:   Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack
Version:      6.0.12
Revision:     133076
Edition:      
Description:  USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 Host Controller, Host Webcam, VirtualBox RDP, PXE ROM, Disk Encryption, NVMe.
VRDE Module:  VBoxVRDP
Usable:       true 
Why unusable: 
 >