Will there be someway to use GRUB2 as the bootloader when installing opensuse 12.1 (when released)

I love openSUSE and would like to install it but my problem is that I already have Ubuntu and Fedora installed on in a VG withi 3 LV ( one not used - open is waiting for SUSE!). Of course I have separate /boot partitions on a second drive. Since openSUSE is still using “legacy” GRUB although GRUB 2 definitely NOT experimental anymore I need to have the option of using GRUB2 as the bootloader during the installation - else it will fail. If this is not going to be an option in 12.1 must I wait for 13 or can I somehow slipstream GRUB2 into the installation medai (perhaps during network install?/). Will this be an option in Factory afte r12.1 is released.

Hi,

I think you’ll have a better chance of getting an answer in the Pre-release/beta forum…

HTH

Lenwolf

On 2011-10-20 08:26, martyfelker wrote:
> Will this be an option in
> Factory afte r12.1 is released.

If you want an answer from the devs, ask in the factory mail list.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Grub2 is in there - it’s just not the default

martyfelker wrote:
> I love openSUSE and would like to install it but my problem is that I
> already have Ubuntu and Fedora installed on in a VG withi 3 LV ( one
> not used - open is waiting for SUSE!). Of course I have separate /boot
> partitions on a second drive. Since openSUSE is still using “legacy”
> GRUB although GRUB 2 definitely NOT experimental anymore I need to have
> the option of using GRUB2 as the bootloader during the installation -
> else it will fail. If this is not going to be an option in 12.1 must I
> wait for 13 or can I somehow slipstream GRUB2 into the installation
> medai (perhaps during network install?/). Will this be an option in
> Factory afte r12.1 is released.

It’s irrelevant what is in 12.1, although its good to hear that grub2
will be there somewhere! You presumably have a master grub that
chainloads the grub (or whatever) in each of your boot partitions. If
you use the grub2 from Ubuntu as your master grub, it will happily
chainload opensuse, whatever bootloader opensuse is using.

On 2011-10-20 10:56, caf4926 wrote:
>
> Grub2 is in there - it’s just not the default

AFAIK it can not be installed from Yast boot manager.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Yes. I have not seen GRUB2 as a possible boot manager during the YaST installer. I’m requesting that the devs consider this. I’d use LILO if that would work but it has be installed on the MBR which I don’t want - I use a third party boot manager and not GRUB2 menu directly. With GRUB2 as the the default install bootloader for Ubunt and Fedora they play nicely together.

It’ll not happen. Not at this late stage.
3rd party boot manager? You must be hinting at some windows based dross.
I have not trouble using either Grub version. But I would like to see Grub2 introduced nevertheless.
If you are not adept at switching between one or the other quickly, there are some quick and simple steps to just using Grub2 from one of your installations.

On 2011-10-22 03:36, martyfelker wrote:
>
> Yes. I have not seen GRUB2 as a possible boot manager during the YaST
> installer. I’m requesting that the devs consider this.

There are no devs here, so your request will not be considered.

Nevertheless, they have been considering it for years. They must have some
big problem with YaST.

I suggest you ask them in the factory mail list when will it be available.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

hello,

i have the same problem like the thread starter
and i just want to ask, whether there are new informations or solutions? i dont want to use any “tricks”…if there is no option i have my own way xP
but i would like to know whether the “easy way” is build ootb in the installer or not xP

If you have your own way
What exactly are you asking for?
Installing Grub with the installer has always been possible and it’s really not complicated.

Actually the boot loader UI use is terabyateunlimisted BootItBareMetal. It is far from dross. It is also an imaging program and the Linux version can start lvm and backup of LV. You can try for fdree for 30 days. Every other distro I use (Fedora 16 and Ubuntu 11.10) use GRU@ . The reason I like it is becasue it can enable the console view of the boot process. I like to see the the output scroll - especially for using the VMwre modules. I do get a menu item called GRUB2 but if I select it all I get is the grub> prompt. The GRUB2 entry is listed i the bootup menu but in fact does not appera in menu.lst. There is no command update-grub (as in Ubuntu) or more likely grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg is not a command. In fact /boot/grub2 has numerous files but grub.cfg does not exist. This is basically a joke - sorry

Well I can switch between the 2 versions, (If I have a Grub2 distro installed as well) without any trouble and I don’t need any terabyateunlimisted.
I can’t see what you are moaning about. If you want Grub2, I suggest using a distro with it to boot openSUSE 12.1 as you seem to be using multiple installations anyway.

updategrub](http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/how-faq-forums/advanced-how-faq-read-only/458238-updategrub-opensuse-legacy-grub-not-update-grub.html#post2329167) has an option --grub2 which will run grub-mkconfig or grub2-mkconfig, whichever exists. I agree with @caf4926. If you want Grub2, use the one from Fedora 16 or Ubuntu, which should be installed in MBR anyway.