Wifi Connection fails after the recent update

Recently I updated my openSUSE 11.2 and I’m not too sure what all were the recent updates but I suspect networkmanager also got updated. After I restarted my machine, my laptop fails to connect to the wireless access point. I tried both in gnome as well as KDE but the same error. This is the log I found in my /var/log/NetworkManager which I believe should give some pointers.

Jul  8 15:08:42 AshSuse1520 NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) starting connection 'Buckeye Plaza'
Jul  8 15:08:42 AshSuse1520 NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): device state change: 3 -> 4 (reason 0)
Jul  8 15:08:42 AshSuse1520 NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) scheduled...
Jul  8 15:08:42 AshSuse1520 NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) started...
Jul  8 15:08:42 AshSuse1520 NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) scheduled...
Jul  8 15:08:42 AshSuse1520 NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) complete.
Jul  8 15:08:42 AshSuse1520 NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) starting...
Jul  8 15:08:42 AshSuse1520 NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): device state change: 4 -> 5 (reason 0)
Jul  8 15:08:42 AshSuse1520 NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0/wireless): access point 'Buckeye Plaza' has security, but secrets are required.
Jul  8 15:08:42 AshSuse1520 NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): device state change: 5 -> 6 (reason 0)
Jul  8 15:08:42 AshSuse1520 NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) complete.
Jul  8 15:08:42 AshSuse1520 NetworkManager: <WARN>  get_secrets_cb(): Couldn't get connection secrets: Rejected send message, 6 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.84" (uid=0 pid=10311 comm="/usr/sbin/NetworkManager) interface="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSettings.Connection.Secrets" member="GetSecrets" error name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerUserSettings" (uid=1000 pid=2534 comm="/usr/bin/knetworkmanager)).
Jul  8 15:08:42 AshSuse1520 NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): device state change: 6 -> 9 (reason 7)
Jul  8 15:08:42 AshSuse1520 NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) failed for access point (Buckeye Plaza)
Jul  8 15:08:42 AshSuse1520 NetworkManager: <info>  Marking connection 'Buckeye Plaza' invalid.
Jul  8 15:08:42 AshSuse1520 NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) failed.
Jul  8 15:08:42 AshSuse1520 NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): device state change: 9 -> 3 (reason 0)
Jul  8 15:08:42 AshSuse1520 NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): deactivating device (reason: 0).

I did a search of this error in google and all I got were few results which complained about bugs in some debian distro.

My wireless card works fine and so does the access point I try to connect to since my Ubuntu installation is able to connect fine as well as my windows Xp.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks.

-Ash

On 07/09/2010 12:26 AM, ash25 wrote:
> Jul 8 15:08:42 AshSuse1520 NetworkManager:<WARN> get_secrets_cb(): Couldn’t get connection secrets: Rejected send message, 6 matched rules; type=“method_call”, sender=":1.84" (uid=0 pid=10311 comm="/usr/sbin/NetworkManager) interface=“org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSettings.Connection.Secrets” member=“GetSecrets” error name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination=“org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerUserSettings” (uid=1000 pid=2534 comm="/usr/bin/knetworkmanager)).

The line above says that NM was unable to get the secret. Try deleting the
connection and remaking it using the NM applet. It seems likely that
something got corrupted.

Yes I’ve tried deleting and re-creating the connection but didn’t work. I also tried deleting the entries in my kde wallet manager by removing the ~/.kde4/share/apps/kwallet directory but that didn’t do any good either.

Any other insights ?

I’ve found a temporary fix for this using wpa_supplicant, have written a script for it which I need to execute each time I restart.

Also if I need to connect to a different network I need to re-write the config file.

So the problem is definitely with networkmanager and some other service not allowing it to authenticate if I’m right.

Yesterday I did a bunch of updates and started having this problem too. Searching around there seems to be a lot of it, and no answers.

I solved this by going to the file /etc/dbus-1/system.d/nm-applet.conf and adding the two highlighted lines:

<!DOCTYPE busconfig PUBLIC
 "-//freedesktop//DTD D-BUS Bus Configuration 1.0//EN"
 "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/dbus/1.0/busconfig.dtd">
<busconfig>
	<!--
	     WARNING: if running any D-Bus version prior to 1.2.6, you may be
	     vulnerable to information leakage via the NM D-Bus interface.
	     Previous D-Bus versions did not deny-by-default, and this permissions
	     config file assumes that D-Bus will deny rules by default unless
	     explicitly over-ridden with an <allow /> tag.
	 -->

<policy user="root">
                <allow own="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerUserSettings"/>

<allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerUserSettings"
                       send_interface="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSettings"/>

send_interface="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSettings.Connection"/>

<!-- Only root can get secrets -->
                       send_interface="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSettings.Connection.Secrets"/>
        </policy>
        <policy at_console="true">
                <allow own="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerUserSettings"/>

send_interface="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSettings"/>

send_interface="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSettings.Connection"/>

<!-- Only root can get secrets -->
                       send_interface="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSettings.Connection.Secrets"/>
        </policy>
        <policy context="default">
                       send_interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Introspectable"/>
        </policy>

<limit name="max_replies_per_connection">512</limit>
</busconfig>

To be honest, I don’t really know what are the repercussions security-wise of doing this, but at least it’s working again.

Things like this always get me afraid of applying updates: this wasn’t my pc and i “broke” it and had to go back and fix it…

@knuckles: I tried that - but didn’t work…

Then I changed the repos to 11.3 and did a zypper dup - and now my NetworkManager works as it should…