Wi-Fi Doesn't Connect

I recently installed OpenSUSE 11.2 on my laptop, since I preferred the look of the KDE desktop over GNOME (I’m an Ubuntu user), but the Wi-Wi doesn’t work, I had this problem with Ubuntu on the same machine. The Wi-Fi tab is greyed out, but the Wi-Fi hardware is picked up as BCM4312, under Network Card in Hardware Information. Enable Wireless is checked under the network icon on the taskbar/panel but the network light on the laptop isn’t lit. I’m thinking I may have to install a driver like I did in Ubuntu, but I’m still finding my way around KDE 4 yet, I’d appreciate it if someone could tell me how to do this.

TIA

Dave
Australia

On 03/05/2010 08:16 PM, dave2389 wrote:
>
> I recently installed OpenSUSE 11.2 on my laptop, since I preferred the
> look of the KDE desktop over GNOME (I’m an Ubuntu user), but the Wi-Wi
> doesn’t work, I had this problem with Ubuntu on the same machine. The
> Wi-Fi tab is greyed out, but the Wi-Fi hardware is picked up as BCM4312,
> under Network Card in Hardware Information. Enable Wireless is checked
> under the network icon on the taskbar/panel but the network light on the
> laptop isn’t lit. I’m thinking I may have to install a driver like I
> did in Ubuntu, but I’m still finding my way around KDE 4 yet, I’d
> appreciate it if someone could tell me how to do this.

The wireless forum covers this extensively.

Your device is not covered with kernels earlier than 2.3.32, thus the standard
kernel for openSUSE (2.6.31) will not work.

You can download a 2.6.33 kernel from the Factory repo, or you can install the
Broadcom wl driver from the Packman r3epo.

Is there a way to download these from Ubuntu and transfer them over to openSUSE via USB stick? I can’t connect to the internet without Wi-Fi, I have no wired networks available here.

Dave

Please post result of

uname -a

dave89@linux-56uz:~> uname -a
Linux linux-56uz 2.6.31.5-0.1-default #1 SMP 2009-10-26 15:49:03 +0100 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
dave89@linux-56uz:~>

You need this
http://packman.jacobs-university.de/suse/11.2/i586/broadcom-wl-5.60.48.36-7.pm.13.1.i586.rpm

and this
http://packman.jacobs-university.de/suse/11.2/i586/broadcom-wl-kmp-default-5.60.48.36_2.6.31.12_0.1-7.pm.13.1.i586.rpm

I got something about missing dependencies or something, but they installed the second time anyway, now the laptop Wi-Fi light is on and the network manager picks up our home network, but a window keeps coming up with the title of: Secrets for {our network name} - KNetworkManager. I may have to get detailed network information of the network admin, but I didn’t have to do this in Ubuntu or Kubuntu.