Why Windows 8 is bad

I read this article today, even though its a little older and was posted in OSNews.

If you read it it makes all the sense why Valve wants to jump to Linux.
Since i am not familiar with Windows 8 directly, it does worry me.
Critical Detail

It’s not bad as an OS,but as the interface.In fact as an OS the underlying components are better,the system monitor is improved,the copy move dialog is improved,the ram consumption is better,it boots faster,and got some new great features reset and restore(or something like that)to make it possible to never reinstall your system;the sad part is the interface,it makes you jump back and forward between Metro and the desktop,and of course they kind of try to impose their marketplace to filter everything that gets on Windows,Microsoft is a control freak you know!

Although I would never consider using Windows, this is exactly the reason I found it intolerable. Certain applications only run on one or the other. Certain settings only affect one or the other… It is a maddening. I thought KDE was bad when the split up all the tasks in the system settings. Oh no. :stuck_out_tongue:

Honestly, the UI is not my main concern. Some people like to use a desktop like way back, but i am open on that. I can always learn a new UI. What is chilling is if these clauses are correct, it will have some serious implications as far what can be bought or distributed. Besides the legacy point made in the article seems to be likely.
Linux still is not really a main platform for me which is sad, but i can’t part from some games. If you don’t do that, you probably don’t have an issue.
So i am stuck with Windows/Linux. For the foreseeable future i will continue to use Win7 and not use Win8, but not sure if that makes a difference in regard to MS policies.

The only thing besides the fragmentation of the ui on linux,that holds this platform back(is not games as anyone will think,cause the majority part of consumers play on the consoles nowdays)it’s the bad quality of drivers,I admit proprietary Nvidia it’s almost on par with the Windows one,but the rest are not so good,plus you must count the fast developement cycle on some distros(I find only openSUSE to be released as it should,others or are to fast and break things,or are to slow that you get really outdated software)!

It’s Microsoft! Do we need to say anything more? LOL! :smiley:

I think Linux doesn’t hold back just the UI, there is more to it. Linux is still not an easy OS in that you can just install it and everything works. In my experience i still have the problem that my webcam is seldomly recognized by the OS. I tried last time Ubuntu and it had the same problem.
Linux gotten better, but i would like to state that i don’t think that the switch on MS part to a new UI is bad at all.
You can start programs easily and even easier with a shortcut. In OpenSuse i was always puzzled by the menu which is on one hand well organized but not easy to access. In Linux it easier to just search the program and bing you there.
And i suspect the same case with the new Windows.
What i more observe is the fundamental shift between traditional UI and a newer more common UI that is used on everyday devices. Since change is always hard, especially for computer nerds, time will tell where we will go.
All i am saying is, i am open to new UI and we should have an open mind.

I have enough invested in two copies of Win 7 professional - no reason to upgrade - VMware works fine on Win. 7.

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 01:16:02 GMT, JoergJaeger
<JoergJaeger@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
>I read this article today, even though its a little older and was posted
>in OSNews.
>
>If you read it it makes all the sense why Valve wants to jump to Linux.
>Since i am not familiar with Windows 8 directly, it does worry me.
>‘Critical Detail’ (http://mollyrocket.com/casey/index.html)

MS loves profits. I don’t think Oracle is going to take this lying down
though. I doubt that the European courts are going to be amused either.

?-)

I gave it a go last weekend. But I really wasn’t impressed.

makes you jump back and forward between Metro and the desktop
This drove me nuts.
And having to use my @live account for setup and login.

Oh and Metro (is that what it’s called?) doesn’t really work on my eeepc 1024x600 max.
If you install an application: say Google Chrome, it’s added to the Metro menu and to the Task Bar of the desktop.
Chrome will launch from the TaskBar but not from Metro (it complains that ress is too low)

It looks like they took win 7 and stuck a silly shell like interface on top.
It’s hard work too, all the extra clicking to move around.

Not impressed at all with windows 8, it is somewhat less of an OS than windows 7 which was less of an OS than Vista which again was less of an OS than XP!

The money engine is clearly at work here, and while I understand businesses want to make money and profits, it does puzzle me as to why they must do it by trying to hide the fact that they are taking control and functionality away from users and more importantly the developers. Really! If Microsoft products followed their own certification process as they have stated it, there would be NO Microsoft Windows Versions for sale and no products in the App store. To split a few hairs, no product in the app store can degrade over time yet we all know that every windows version since win 3.0 has had the famous memory degrade, swap file degrade, disk and harddisk degrade, to culminate in an ever slowing system prone to errors lock-ups and performance hits.

With the EOL policy of Windows versions and their eventual inability to re-register, having the Windows 8 closed development model as stated will beyond a doubt leave people with absolutely no options. With windows 8 they can still run their older (non-windows 8 certified) apps. Then when Windows 9 comes out you can definitely expect a more forceful incompatibility issue just as they did in previous versions. Net result … users that stayed with Microsoft Windows will be locked in for no other reason than their critical data can only be accessed and worked on using the proprietary Windows system.

Scary …

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 06:26:01 +0000, caf4926 wrote:

> Oh and Metro (is that what it’s called?) doesn’t really work on my eeepc
> 1024x600 max.

No, Microsoft has emphatically stated that it’s /not/ called “Metro” -
that it’s the “Windows 8 User Interface” (because that’s /so/ creative
<g>).

And apparently they’re now being sued in IP litigation over the interface
formerly known as “Metro”.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

I haven’t tried Windows 8 and so i can’t tell anything about it. I read pro and contra, but mostly from people that are from IT in some ways. Sadly i can’t even upgrade since my bios doesn’t comply. 5 years are a long time in computers since that is the age my gigabyte motherboard has.
Anyway, my guess is that Windows is here to stay and at one point people will use it. The concept is different from what i understand.
Right now i have Windows 7 and i am happy with that Windows version.
Not sure what you mean with degrade. I run both Windows and Linux and have no problems whatsoever with datas (i share them between both).
Great would be if we could have Android for PC. :slight_smile:

I purchased Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64 bit for $39.99 USD this past Tuesday on November 6th, 2012 just as President Barack Obama got re-elected. Politics aside, Windows 8 is political dynamite for Microsoft Corporation. They are all in with the Windows 8 platform and they are making a huge bet that it will be highly successful if not more successful than Windows 7.

I think it is a pretty decent operating system. I don’t like the Windows 8 Modern UI that much, but I am warming up to it. I do like the Windows 8 Desktop app quite a bit and there are a number of useful improvements. I don’t miss the Start orb or button anymore. I find searching for software applications or modern apps to be more useful and faster. This is how I do things with OpenSuSE 64 bit Tumbleweed and K Desktop Environment 4.9.3 64 bit. I am on the fence with regard to my opinions about Windows 8 Pro 64 bit. Overall, I think it is worth the cost that I paid, but I would not get the retail non-OEM version at full price. I find Windows 8 Pro 64 bit to be quite useful, but it is not intuitive or seamless to use. I honestly think that Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1 is superior to Windows 8 Pro 64 bit because it is tried and true and familiar. Windows 8 Pro 64 bit outperforms Windows 7 and all previous versions of Windows combined. It is the fastest and the best performing version of Windows. The security features are quite robust and it is secure by default. This is probably the most secure version of Windows in its history. I would not place any unencrypted critical and confidential files or folders in any Windows based operating system, but it is highly secure by design. Bottom line: Windows 7 64 bit is solid. Windows 8 Pro 64 bit is nice to have, but it is not a necessity to own. I upgraded because the price is low and I wanted the new performance improvements and the new security features.

This is getting close
ReleaseNote 4.0-RC2 - Android-x86 - Porting Android to x86

Sweetness. This will be exciting. I will say, the reviews I have seen for Windows RT/8 for Microsoft Surface do look nice. What I see people will have issues with is the UI. For desktops and laptops, the UI makes no sense. For tablets, it makes perfect sense. If you can get over the UI, from what I’ve seen, both at work and a few online reviews, the background is smooth and fast. Some say faster than Windows 7, and less resource intensive, better resource management. I probably will put Windows 8 on my tablet for my job so that I can better assist the customers that have Windows 8.