Why use anything other then SMPlayer?

The 10.3 version didn’t work with flv files. Not tried in 11.1 y et.

I have VLC on Windows to, because it comes with lots of bundled Codecs.

Sm player is really nice but I always use vlc coming from the videolan repo which is working just right.The nice thing with it is I can watch some hbo movies from shoutcast tv, when get bored shift it to music radio or play some dvd movies locally. It also streams my newly installed hp-webcam and my desktop.

The windows version of VLC is a very decent player, unlike SMPlayer which under windows I never liked… buggy, slow to load files and crashes often.

Seems like VLC is more suited as a general purpose media player, where as smplayer is just a movie player. I tried using smplayer as a audioplayer… due to it being the only program where I could select my USB audiocard as sound output, and it fails. Loading a large amount of mp3’s takes forever, and the dir adding isn’t recursive.

Guess that would make sense why one prefers one above the other, I like my programs to be simple and ment for one purpose. So that’s WMC + Quintessential Player under windows, and SMPlayer + JuK under openSUSE.

smplayer is not a movie player per definition. It’s an interface to a media player, in this case MPlayer

Hey guys nice thread anyway, but can you tell me someone why not to use as a frontend for mplayer KMPlayer? I’m a bit confused in those media players… Or why should be the SMPlayer better instead of KMPlayer in KDE environment.

Thats all any media player is, is a GUI that relies on other code, codecs, libraries…

saying smplayer is the movie player is ridiculous. there are players which do not rely on external code/codecs/libs and use their own proprietary built-in stuff. it’s like saying that my script “h264enc” is the encoder itself while its merely a CLI interface to the REAL encoder, in this case MEncoder. smplayer is a front-end to mplayer, without it, it’s useless piece of code, unless adopted for another player like ffplay

Well, I actually experienced more crashes on Windows than on Linux.

Why? I don’t know. The smplayer code is 99% the same.

Actually I think most of the problems are caused by crashes on mplayer. It seems mplayer is more unstable on Windows. It crashes quite often.

About the slowness loading files… it may be because Windows takes longer to load mplayer in memory.
Setting a low cache (or disabling it) may help to load files faster.

Don’t enable the option “automatically get info about files added” in the playlist’s preferences.

Newer versions allow it.

Anyway smplayer hasn’t been designed as an audio player, there are a lot of very good applications for that.

Like I said, I only tried it cause it was the only programming that I could get my USB soundcard to work with.
I didn’t expect too much from it as an audioplayer… it being an awesome videoplayer is more then enough for my normal use.
Can’t really say I like all the audioplayers that much either, might give it an attempt to write one myself as then I at least know who to blame for missing features :wink: (JuK comes close to being what I want… but the support for formats is lacking, and not being worked on as the author seems to have something against non opensource formats)

It’s far more configurable than KMPlayer, I’m particularity fond of the support for mouse thumbbuttons.
As I’m often out of reach of my keyboard but in reach of my mouse it’s important to me do be able to do the most important functions via mouse only.

After using SMPlayer for a while I made it my default media player for MKV files because I noticed it has a lot more advantages compared to VLC :-). I still use VLC for the rest.

Yeah it’s great for mkv’s with softsubs in ass/ssa format, didn’t run into any yet that came out in a way they shouldn’t.

Can’t seem to figure out how to make ‘self styled’ subs for those that lack styling look good though.

Luckily I’m happy with the fonts/colors used by most subtitles so all I really need is increasing/decreasing the size, which goes fine trough the keyboard shortcuts.

Just received an avi movie that SMPlayer (mplayer, actually) can’t play, but Kaffeine does.

MPlayer goes like this:

~> mplayer test.avi
MPlayer dev-SVN-r27637-4.3-openSUSE Linux 11.0 (x86_64)-Packman (C) 2000-2008 MP
layer Team
CPU: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ (Family: 15, Model: 107, Ste
pping: 2)
CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
Can’t open joystick device /dev/input/js0: No such file or directory
Can’t init input joystick
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing test.avi.
AVI file format detected.
[aviheader] Video stream found, -vid 0
[aviheader] Audio stream found, -aid 1
Detected NON-INTERLEAVED AVI file format.
VIDEO: [Divx] 720x480 24bpp 29.970 fps 1498.9 kbps (183.0 kbyte/s)
Clip info:
Name:
Software: Lavf52.13.0

Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x78766944.
Read DOCS/HTML/en/codecs.html!

==========================================================================
Opening audio decoder: [mp3lib] MPEG layer-2, layer-3
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 128.0 kbit/8.33% (ratio: 16000->192000)
Selected audio codec: afm: mp3lib (mp3lib MPEG layer-2, layer-3)

AO: [oss] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Video: no video
Starting playback…

Avidemux shows a green display (i.e., no video) and gives this info (interlaced NTSC?):

Codec 4CC: Divx
Image size: 720 x 480
A.R.: 1:1
Frame rate: 29.970 fps
etc…

Kaffeine reports:

Mime: video/x-msvideo
Audio: MPEG layer 2/3 128kb/s
Video: ISO MPEG-4 (ffmpeg) 720x480(720x480)

First time ever this happens. I’m curious, any ideas?

Which player is all around the best to play movies and music?

The nice thing about openSUSE is you’ve got plenty to choose from. Linux is a Unix, and Unix has had holy wars over text editors for decades, so one can imagine how many different answers you’ll get to your question about video and audio players …

My favourite? The Swiss Army knife is mplayer run from the command line.

I’ve used VLC for both in the past because it’s so small in size and the interface is very simple but very satisfying. But after a while I got quite annoyed that it crashes every time after a while of playing music files, therefor I switched back to Banshee (I’m using Gnome).

As for video files, since I have quite a slow computer VLC performs very bad with most video files and shows a lot of distortions, although it doesn’t happen much with AVI files but more with H.264 videos. So in the end I made SMPlayer the default one for MKV files and let VLC play the files it can handle.