Why Ubuntu keeps pulling me back from other distros/ and 10 things I hate about it

I think I will cross post this across the various linux forums I go to so no one feels I am picking on them.
Okay if you know me I am a long time linux user, and my primary distribution is Ubuntu.
I started with Debian and worked my way into Ubuntu as it was easier to set up and install then debian at the time.
But despite my apparent loyalty to Ubuntu there is a lot I dislike especially now.
In fact I have 10 good reasons on my list:

1: It can be very unstable, really I have had my share of crashes in it
2: you need things like PPA’s for extra software, a bit of a nuisance.
3: you need a lot of tweaking to make it work the way you want it to. In some ways even windows is better in this front.
4: Unity is uncustomizable and un flexible
5: The direction towards mobile is very troubling for someone who uses a desktop.
6: Mir is going to be forced on us, and I think it needs time for adapters, if we get a broken experience here its Ubuntus fault for going to a untried and un tested technology that most graphics card makers wont support.
7: the reliance on amazon for funding, rather if you think that the amazon thing is spyware or not isz not the issue.
For me its more annoying
8: Reliance on inferior tools for heavy tasks (here is looking at you Ubuntu software center)
9: The current support cycle, 9 months really
10: the constant bad version/good version building of ubuntu.
12.04 is perhaps thee worst LTS out there, I have had constant bugs in it while 13.04 is very smooth and fine and hardly any errors on my end.

But with all that said it is still the top distro I use, as it has everything I want like the netflix workaround and MTP support for my android.
Now there have been a few close ones like Manjaro, but it has a few bugs in it that need to smoothed out,
openSUSE is my primary fallback distro but it lacks so much compared to ubuntu right now.
Mageia is promising but its youth is a weakness
Fedora is good but it lacks the hardware support, plus the fact it uses gnome shell just makes me mad.
I think ubuntu is a reflection of the linux world right now, a mess that needs a bit of cleaning up to make it work better.
But I am still a linux loyalist as its done me so well in my over 6 years worth of experience.
But the playing field is just so uneven right now.
I wish I could use other distros but right now i feel so locked in, sigh.

On 06/28/2013 09:26 PM, MadmanRB wrote:
> I wish I could use other distros but right now i feel so locked in,
> sigh.

why might you think anyone “across the various linux forums” you go
to would care what your favorite disto is??

if you like one then STAY there. if you try another and don’t like
it, just leave.

bye!

dd

1 Like

This is the inevitable result of open source. It will always be a mess, because it is always undergoing dynamic change. If you badly want a cleaned up version, then try SuSE enterprise or RedHat Enterprise or something similar.

Maybe you could be a bit more specific on what it lacks. You should be looking at opensuse + Packman for multimedia support. There’s not too much missing, as far as I can tell. And if I want software not in the repos, I can probably find it via a search at software.opensuse.org, where somebody will have built it in OBS for opensuse.

Stability is one of the things that I like with opensuse.

I’ve tried ubuntu, though that was several years ago. I didn’t much like it. But it is probably time that I tried it again, even if only to see if unity is a bad as some of its critics say.

Thing is that I still like openSUSE.
So its a fallback for me.

My main issue with Opensuse is KDE; it simply does not appeal to me at all, and either does Gnome 3.x; It may be a third rate romance, but Unity is the best compromise right now.

That’s interesting. Maybe I will have to try out Unity.

I understand not liking Gnome 3. I don’t much like it either. KDE has a lot that I don’t need, but it mostly doesn’t get in the way.

I have been using Ubuntu for 5 or 6 years, before that it was Fedora for another 4 or 5 years. My first distro was a boxed version of Corel, in fact I still have it in the box if anyone wants it. Then there was Mandrake, SUSE, Redhat and others but Fedora was the first one I got to work right so I stuck with it until Ubuntu came out. I’m lazy, really don’t care to be a bloody OS expert I just want my computer to work when I turn it on and I like free stuff that isn’t illegal. I liked Ubuntu simply because it pretty much works out of the box with very little tweaking needed, after a fresh install I find a post install thread and I’m pretty much good to go. I’m not a power user my needs are simple. But the ease of use has crippled me, I have forgotten the command line stuff, can’t even remember how to quit and same a file in vi. Well I did figure that one out but I was embarrassed that I had forgotten.

I have been a gnome user, always thought kde was just a little to busy for me I like the simplicity of gnome, but I am not liking gnome so much these days, don’t like the way it looks or feels. Unity is OK but Ubuntu has crossed the line with me over Amazon. I run ixquick, start page, and sometimes Tor so you can imagine my horror and disgust with Ubuntu, na na I want have it. And yes I even use hushmail. I would resort to openBSD before I allow my OS to hijack my information for commercial gain without my consent. Unity is a security breach I am no longer willing to except so if I have to relearn Linux again so be it because I do not and will not run Windoz. Do you realize what I just said openBSD! Have you ever tried to get that one to work properly? I would rather take a beating because that is how I would feel after installing openBSD, beat up man, beat up bad.

SUSE is a really good distro I’ve been knowing that but I always had trouble getting everything to work so I took the path of least resistance. But these days everything is easier to install than it used to be, except BSD. I did have a glitch getting my wireless internet connection working in SUSE but it was a simple fix and the guy on this forum that helped was very polite and did not rake me over the coals for being a dumb ass, he didn’t even hint at it. I would call out one of the other forums on that one but it might start a flame war so I just want go there, literally want go there.
I popped in a DVD to see if it would work and no it did not but I got a pop up window offering solutions and by the time I got out of that window it did work . Can’t argue with that. So far SUSE is working good for me, a few minor issues but it was really easy to install and if you poke around in Yast long enough you are just likely to find a solution to what ales you.

I have been have issues in Ubuntu when I have a video going and am working in a few other apps at the same time it freezes up. Very annoying, have to reboot when that happens. So far I have not had that issue with SUSE. I have a printer that has not worked for a year so I’m going to see if I can get it working in SUSE and if I do I’ll be locked in here for awhile. rotfl!

So that is my two cents worth, I’m going to run SUSE with KDE for awhile and let Ubuntu and Amazon roll around in bed together for awhile without me.

I find that strange as many hate unity.

I gave Ubuntu another try (version 13.04). I still don’t much like it.

It’s not unity, per se, that I don’t like. It is just that it is not oriented toward what I want to do. I looked through the menus, and didn’t find any application I wanted to use, other than firefox. I couldn’t even find “xterm” or similar in the menus. I tried Alt F2, and was able to get to an xterm that way.

Sure, LibreOffice was there, and several multimedia applications. But those are not why I run linux. Everything that I want is probably in the repos for installing. But it did not seem worth the trouble when the basic orientation of Ubuntu is toward a different kind of user.

I dunnt I feel in terms of default software ubuntu and openSUSE are equal to eachother on the default software front.
The only thing ubuntu lacks is YAST, something that i actually do wish it had or something that works like it.

On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 22:36:03 +0000, MadmanRB wrote:

> RichardET;2568216 Wrote:
>> My main issue with Opensuse is KDE; it simply does not appeal to me at
>> all, and either does Gnome 3.x; It may be a third rate romance, but
>> Unity is the best compromise right now.
>
>
> I find that strange as many hate unity.

I don’t see why that’s any stranger than the KDE/GNOME wars or other
arguments/debates about which DE is the “best”.

It always amuses me when people ask which is the “best” DE, because
that’s like asking whether “red” or “blue” is the “best” colour. It’s a
nonsense question because “best” is a matter of taste and personal
opinion.

At least not without asking more specifically about a technical aspect.
One can, for example, specify that they’re using a lower-end machine, and
“best” could mean “performs better on my inadequate hardware”. But
that’s not usually the question that’s asked - the question that’s asked
is about usability, and the correct answer for that is “it depends”.

Some people find KDE4 to be very usable. I find it to be overly
complex. I find GNOME3 to be unobtrusive and relatively lightweight.
Others think it’s bloated. [shrug]

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

> Some people find KDE4 to be very usable. I find it to be overly
> complex. I find GNOME3 to be unobtrusive and relatively lightweight.
> Others think it’s bloated. [shrug]

Some people find Ubuntu rants in the SUSE forum annoying. Other’s call
it diversity. I vote for an opensuse.org.no-support.Ubuntu forum so we
don’t have to wade through these non-sensical Ubuntu posts.

Oh and KDE FTW. :wink:

> so we don’t have to wade through these non-sensical Ubuntu posts.

+1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111

dd

Personally I find Gnome3 useless for every day tasks, its clearly made for people who love keyboard work.
Next to Metro in windows 8 its the second worst UI I have ever used.

Well no one is forcing you to read topics like this, besides such topics are bound to come up due to ubuntus popularity and failings.
There is no law here saying I cant post about ubuntu here, and there shouldnt be.
If I want to praise it i have a right to, as well as i have the right to condemn it.
The intention of this topic was to post my grievances of being stuck on ubuntu when part of me really doesnt want to.
But because Ubuntu has what i want and need i cant break the ties and BAM! Kobayashi Maru

On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 18:10:08 +0000, GofBorg wrote:

> Some people find Ubuntu rants in the SUSE forum annoying. Other’s call
> it diversity. I vote for an opensuse.org.no-support.Ubuntu forum so we
> don’t have to wade through these non-sensical Ubuntu posts.

I guess we’ll also need a Mint forum, a Unbreakable Linux forum, a
Scientific Linux forum, a Fedora forum, etc?

I really don’t think that’s a good idea. The best way to deal with the
Ubuntu rants if the bother you is to ignore them.

Jim

Jim Henderson

On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 20:56:01 +0000, MadmanRB wrote:

> hendersj;2569002 Wrote:
>>
>>
>> Some people find KDE4 to be very usable. I find it to be overly
>> complex. I find GNOME3 to be unobtrusive and relatively lightweight.
>> Others think it’s bloated. [shrug]
>
> Personally I find Gnome3 useless for every day tasks, its clearly made
> for people who love keyboard work.
> Next to Metro in windows 8 its the second worst UI I have ever used.

See, and I find GNOME3 to be incredibly good for everyday tasks. And
yes, I do tend to use the keyboard more than the mouse, but I’ve got a
touchpad and a Wacom tablet on my system.

But the point is that it’s a personal opinion. Which is “better” is
almost always a matter of preference. You don’t find GNOME3 doesn’t
work for you - great, don’t use it. That’s the beauty of OSS, you have a
choice.

> GofBorg;2569007 Wrote:
>>
>> Some people find Ubuntu rants in the SUSE forum annoying. Other’s call
>> it diversity. I vote for an opensuse.org.no-support.Ubuntu forum so we
>> don’t have to wade through these non-sensical Ubuntu posts.
>
> Well no one is forcing you to read topics like this, besides such topics
> are bound to come up due to ubuntus popularity and failings. There is no
> law here saying I cant post about ubuntu here, and there shouldnt be.
> If I want to praise it i have a right to, as well as i have the right to
> condemn it.
> The intention of this topic was to post my grievances of being stuck on
> ubuntu when part of me really doesnt want to.
> But because Ubuntu has what i want and need i cant break the ties and
> BAM! Kobayashi Maru

As any good Trekkie/Trekker knows, the solution to the Kobayashi Maru is
to change the nature of the test. Complaining about it didn’t solve the
problem for Kirk. :wink:

Jim

Jim Henderson

Forums have rules, they don’t make laws but the owners are subject to local laws (e.g. libel, racism, etc.). You don’t have “rights” as such, just an allowance to post within certain rules, which means you have responsibilities.

Well noone here can do anything about your grievances concerning ubuntu. You may have received at best a mixed reaction on the ubuntu forum or at worst a hostile one, but it is only a guess. Then the best place for a sympathetic response might be a Windows forum. :wink:

Further to this, I want to add that the forum is here primarily for volunteers to provide support to openSUSE. This has been the approach since before the 3 forums were merged into one forum a number of years back, and it is still the case today.

Our forum is NOT established to entertain changes to openSUSE. Our forum is not established to have significant support of other GNU/Linux dsitrbutions. There are other venues in the openSUSE communication channels and in other forums which have that as their purpose.

Yes, we do have openSUSE forum areas such as ‘soap box’ and ‘chit chat’ where we allow some leeway wrt the prime purpose, and we do that as part of the open spirit, but again I emphasize the forum’s prime purpose is support. There are signficant limits to our willingness to accept derogitory/critical or troll efforts/tangents wrt openSUSE, wrt other GNU/Linux distributions and wrt other operating systems and our willingness to entertain discussions of changes of other GNU/Linux distributions into openSUSE where this is not the venue for such discussions.

There is no “right” to post anything one wants in praise nor in disgust on our forum. There are limits to how much we allow a user to make a point (after they have made it time and time again). For example, massive Fonts to make a point, will result in immediate post edit, or removal or possibly user suspension or banning.

We have a limited tolerance level for non-support subjects, and I recommend those who wish to post on non-openSUSE support items be aware of that.

Yeah but it does help relieve some steam I have concerning linux right now, as much i love linux and love using it I do have my gripes about it.

Yes but once again there is no law saying i cant make grievances or praise if they are justified.
If i came in here saying openSUSE sucks I understand why people would give me gripes about saying that.
But I try to remain neutral, I am not that in love wit Ubuntu and its obvious, but i wont say it should become openSUSE.
Nor should openSUSE become Ubuntu, though I do think they can learn from eachother.

On 2013-07-03, oldcpu <oldcpu@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
> There is no “right” to post anything one wants in praise nor in disgust
> on our forum.

I agree that the facility to post should be considered a privilege rather than a right, and comments made in disgust
should be made with good judgement. But as long as one’s not advertising, what’s wrong with praise?

`OpenSUSE 12.3 is the best all-round distro I’ve ever seen.’

This is of course true. What could possibly be wrong with it? :smiley: