Why two places to configure proxy?

hallo:

I’m new to OpenSuse so I’ve some questions. My first question:

a) Why there is to places to configure proxy?

• Menu K- System Preferences - Network - Proxy (KDE).
  • Yast - Net Services - Proxy.
    Which is the difference?

b) Do I have to configure both?

c) Does any apply to user and other to system?

d) My proxy requires authentication. How can I set it in proxy of KDE4? Options for username and password are disabled

Thanks

• torcaz99 wrote, On 11/11/2009 06:06 PM:
    >
    > hallo:
    >
    > I’m new to OpenSuse so I’ve some questions. My first question:
    >
    > a) Why there is to places to configure proxy?
    > - Menu K- System Preferences - Network - Proxy (KDE).
    > - Yast - Net Services - Proxy.
    > Which is the difference?

The one in KDE is for KDE only. The other one is for the entire system. You’ll notice that e.g. Firefox can determine the settings you made in Yast. Actually I never had to use the configuration in KDE. I guess it is mainly for Konqueror as the web browser, and I don’t use that.

> b) Do I have to configure both?

See above. Try Yast first, you definitely want to configure the proxy in order to update your system.

> c) Does any apply to user and other to system?

Yes.

> d) My proxy requires authentication. How can I set it in proxy of
> KDE4? Options for username and password are disabled

No idea. Maybe it will ask for the user credentials, then fill the values so you can edit them.

Uwe

Go on having proxy problems.

My proxy needs authentication. So I I configure yast proxy and stablish proxy authentication, test my configuration, see it works fine and finally save it.

I open firefox or konqueror and see it works because yast has configured http_proxy variables and configures system and applicattions to uses that variable.

But the problem is that, my proxy al least, tries to check authenticity after a while and them my applications fails.

What I meant is that when I press the test button in yast proxy, my username and password is sent to the proxy which allows me to work for a while (10 minutes more or less) but later it asks me to reenter my username and password and then is when my applications fail (it doesnp’t take my username and password from my yast configuration.

Any idea?

Thanks