Why Totem is so slow?

I opened a video file in totem and got a slide-show of 1 frame in 5 seconds. I then opened it in Kaffeine-KDE3 and it worked perfectly. What should I do to heve good speed in Gnome?

Ansus, i don’t have an answer about gnome since I don’t use it, but isn’t it using the gstreamer files for good, bad, and ugly? Perhaps these need to be updated from packman? Further, I thought you are a big fan of KDE3? Kaffeine from KDE3 is the BEST. I use it even in KDE4 and since it works so well, I see no reason to use anything else. It supports Dolby Digital passthrough (xine settings) and it has the very neet options CTRL-V and CTRL-H to stretch your video picture to fill the whole screen. Kaffeine from KDE3 is a killer, I use it all the time including to view the original MATRIX which is my number one movie to watch. Surely you would agree?

Thank You,

Perhaps these need to be updated from packman?

Already updated

Yes Kaffeine is better than Totem also in that there is no flickering of the image while playing. On the other hand it seems alien under Gnome.

Can you for example see this video http://luxport.ru/playlist/1462954.m3u in Totem with good speed?

Totem always gets deleted by me, including it’s dependencies.
I use smplayer, but Re: kaffeine, I find the version from Packman works fine

Name : kaffeine Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version : 1.0 Vendor: PackMan :: Startseite

There is only option to open in Totem in Firefox. No choice for kaffeine.

When FF comes up with the box: open with / save
Click to get ‘other’
Then drill up the file system tree to /usr/bin
This take a min to populate
In there choose the application you want…

On 2010-07-15 03:16 GMT Ansus wrote:

>
> Yes Kaffeine is better than Totem also in that there is no flickering
> of the image while playing. On the other hand it seems alien under
> Gnome.

There are others. There is the traditional xine (kaffeine uses xine
libs, after all). There is gxine, and some others.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” GM (Minas Tirith))