Why should I use OpenSuse?

Hey guys,

This is my first post, and I’m very interested in trying OpenSuse. What differentiates OpenSuse from any other Linux distros? I love KDE, and I haven’t really been able to settle on a decent KDE distro.

What are the pros and cons of OpenSuse 11.3?

Every Distro has it good points and bad points I guess. I would center on the fact that the KDE desktop version included and loaded by default for you is version 4.4.4, so if you like KDE, then you are going to like openSUSE 11.3. OpenSUSE has the backing of Novel, a substantial company that has been around a very long time. That makes for a very professional and polished product every time it has a new release of openSUSE comes out. You have this very fine openSUSE forum where you can obtain help for most any problem from many dedicated users of the product. And of course, it is based on the latest Linux product releases. It was the very first Linux Distro I got to do what I wanted and that has continued since version 10.0 for me. If there are any bad points, I am blind to them for now, but perhaps someone else will provide a more balanced view of things for you.

Thank You,

If you like KDE you can’t possibly go wrong with OpenSUSE 11.3, it’s definitely one of the best KDE distros out there (comparable to Mandriva or Simply Mepis).

But what really impressed me is the stability and professional look and feel of the installation and management tools, this is really a different league, even compared to Ubuntu (even Ubuntu without the new crashy Software Manager).

I am new to OpenSuse but I use Gnome so I can’t comment directly about KDE.

I like that it looks good out of the box; unusually, I have only changed the desktop background rather that the whole look of the distribution I am using. It is fast and stable and feels very very responsive. I like the idea of Yast with all the admin functions in a unified interface but, I don’t like the default menu that opens the applications in a separate window, it’s truly hideous and very user unfriendly; fortunately Mint Menu is available through the build service. This may be a non-issue in KDE.

You also get this wonderful forum with SuSE for support and help.

As an end user, here’s my thoughts:

Pros:

• Yast. At first, I was put off by Yast, but now I swear by it. A great example is when Knetworkmanager stopped working for me (it got botched during update or something). I was able to get my wireless going again using ifup via Yast. Now, I don’t even use Knetworkmanager and its front-end anymore. I like the central control center idea and, you’ll find it in other distros, but it’s best implented here.

• KDE. You mentioned it. Surprisingly, KDE 4.4 with all the tweaks and patches included in 11.3 runs a lot smoother for me than ever using it on 11.2. It’s hard to put my finger on it, but using KDE on openSUSE just feels right.

• openFATE. This is great. It’s a place where users can suggest new features to be put into future releases and we can all vote on it.

• Open Build Service (OBS). I used to think that using Ubuntu, being the mainstream distro, was the only way to keep up with all latest software. Since it’s so popular, finding packaged software was easier, but ever since I discovered OBS, the amount of software I’ve been able to find is amazing. If you’re looking for an RPM, chances are you’ll find it.

• openSUSE wiki. You’ll see that my post count is pretty low. I attribute this to the fact that I never really have to ask support questions. I’ve been using openSUSE for years now and the wikis are pretty updated and reliable. There’s a lot of great tutorials and I’ve found many answers there.

• zypper. su -, zypper ref, zypper (d)up. done.

Cons:

• Mainstream features, I guess? Ubuntu has a music store and menus for social networks. I’ll admit, I’m reaching here. These obstacles can easily be overcomed. There’s the Amazon Mp3 downloader. Banshee is soon going to have it built in. And KDE has plenty of apps and plasmoids that can allow you to keep up-to-date with social networks. If I could find a way to compile Boxee, I’d be really happy.

Well, that’s all I got. I think you pretty much answered your own question by stating your of love KDE. If you love KDE, it’s a safe bet you’ll like openSUSE. Take care. :slight_smile:

SilentPhenom wrote:

>
> Hey guys,
>
> This is my first post, and I’m very interested in trying OpenSuse. What
> differentiates OpenSuse from any other Linux distros? I love KDE, and I
> haven’t really been able to settle on a decent KDE distro.
>
> What are the pros and cons of OpenSuse 11.3?
>
>

1. YaST
  2. YaST
  3. YaST

Need I say more :slight_smile:

Hey guys,

Thank you all kindly for the responses. And I agree, this is a fabulous distro. I’m actually replying to you guys using the Live KDE disc. Yast is pretty nice, I had Mandriva installed on my computer, but it seemed like something was missing. I’ve found it. I will be using it for my everyday computing and my Windows partition for my gaming.

Thank You everyone.

Were’d you hear this? I just checked the Banshee bug tracker, and there’s a feature request for it, but there hasn’t been any activity on it. I do recall a discussion on the mailing list a few years ago, but Amazon was not very receptive at the time.

Aaron Bockover had a nice little article about it on his blog. Check out the link: Amazon MP3 Store in Banshee « Aaron Bockover Looks pretty cool, huh?

Pro:

• If you like KDE then OpenSUSE is your best choice.
  • You always have up-to-date software via the Packman repository
  • Bright and enthusiast community

Cons:

• The same cons as all the rest of the Linux distros have.

Pretty slick. I’m updating from the GIT repository now.

I think Yast is one of the biggest, definitive advantage over the other distributions. Other distributions don’t use it. Not only is it handy at an GUIL application, it also is accessible from the terminal too (great for servers, or if you borked your X or in my case, my mouse).

Other than that, openSUSE puts its KDE together very nicely while other distributions (like Kubuntu) are more like their Gnome counterparts shoehorned into a KDE outfit.

Oh, and openSUSE includes SpiderOak which, from what I’ve read, is an online file storage place similar to Dropbox and UbuntuOne (without the music store aspect).

As dragonbite implies, Yast is a very powerful tool. You’ll find praise in all reviews of openSUSE/SLEx. While there’s nothing in Yast that can’t be done with a text editor and a terminal, having everything integrated with a visual aid makes for quick, easy execution of administrative tasks.

If you prefer KDE so the openSUSE distro is perfect for you. And you’ll have much more, for example, Yast, an active community and constant updates.

I havent used kubuntu with kde 4.4.4 but gentoo’s kde 4.4.4 is excellent.