Why no virus prevention needed ?

I have read and believe it that Linux based operating systems do not need to have any virus prevention like the madness that exists in the Windows world.

Why is that ?
Surely there are smart hackers out there that could cram something together to be able to bust in, is it just not as sexy as being able to break into Windows ?
Technically, isn’t it possible, or is it just too much trouble ?

thanks

My 2 cents: search the forums first. There’s numerous threads on this subject, with good background info.
Yup, I’ve seen the recent reports (in Engadget f.e.) on a new trojan. Well, a bit of research done, and it’s the same old story: the user has to install the trojan first.
A rule: do not, repeat do not, install software through your browser. If you need something, or a website tells you you need something, install an openSUSE package for it.

all good suggestions, but, here in Italy we have a problem, antivirus is mandatory for commercial use o PC, how could we solve?? adding a fake package called antivirus in the repositories??? :slight_smile:

There’s ClamAV. It’s intended for testing files shared with Windows computers, but it should meet your requirements.

On 2013-10-12 19:46, pier andreit wrote:
>
> all good suggestions, but, here in Italy we have a problem, antivirus is
> mandatory for commercial use o PC, how could we solve?? adding a fake
> package called antivirus in the repositories??? :slight_smile:

Or a real one, like clamav. It is in the repos.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4, with Evergreen, x86_64 “Celadon” (Minas Tirith))

…and there is a GUI front-end available if desired

software.opensuse.org:

On 2013-10-12, hextejas <hextejas@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
> I have read and believe it that Linux based operating systems do not
> need to have any virus prevention like the madness that exists in the
> Windows world.
>
> Why is that ?

To be fair to Windows, there are plenty of advanced Windows users who don’t use virus protection because they don’t need
it. They are just sensible about the way they use their computers. For example, they set up proper user accounts, they
don’t access dodgy sites such as that want to install plug-ins' (e.g. a hot_flash_hard_plugin’ from
slap_me_hard_baby.com), they don’t run random executables such as french_tickler.exe, or open attachments from supposed
billionaires from Nigeria.

> Surely there are smart hackers out there that could cram something
> together to be able to bust in, is it just not as sexy as being able to
> break into Windows ?

Don’t mix virus authors with hackers. They are different populations, albeit with some overlap. While Linux may not
attract many virus authors, plenty of hackers target Linux servers for various nefarious reasons.

> Technically, isn’t it possible, or is it just too much trouble ?

Linux is less an attractive target for virus authors (although there are plenty of hackers!) because a) it is less
popular than windows, b) Windows users on average are less tech-savvy, and c) most Linux users don’t spend their entire
desktop sessions with root/administrator privileges.

pier andreit wrote:
> all good suggestions, but, here in Italy we have a problem, antivirus is
> mandatory for commercial use o PC, how could we solve?? adding a fake
> package called antivirus in the repositories??? :slight_smile:

Interesting. Do you have a link to something that explains the
requirement? Preferably in English :slight_smile:

There are other attack vectors besides your os web browsers come to mind
Being aware of vulnerabilities and keeping your system up to date is the best defense
Here is a good site

Now I have a question Howsafe is a download from source forge if I keep it in my home folder?

It is source so can not hurt you until you compile and install it.

Since it is source anyone can look at it and see if there is anything wonky in it.

If some bad code got slipped in it would soon be found and removed.

Most programs run under user permissions thus can at most damage a users files and can not attach them selves to the kernel or kernel level processes.

Also most programs are installed without the permissions for a regular user to modify. so any bad code must get root permission to change it.

Any binary or script you download must be given execute permission to run. It can not just run by clicking it like some OS’s we may mention.