why linux is doomed

So knowing that the guy was booting from a Net Install CD, not a live system, why introduce the “in-situ” live distro upgrade topic?

The guy makes a rant, you talk about something he wasn’t doing. That comes across as a bizarre explanation.

Who gives a ****? Not all baby turtles make it to the sea.

Guys - sticking my head above the parapit here but…

If I can screwed up a perfectly working system by upgrading to the latest one I would certainly be miffed and would probably want to let off steam about it. I have upgraded quite a few hp-ux systems and have found that really a fresh install is cleaner, but takes somewhat more preparation. However, in corporate land mirrored boot disks etc are a requirement and so you normally have a split off mirror to fall back to if things go terribly wrong. PC land is rather different. Most people won’t have mirrored disks, or the spare capacity to install elsewhere to test.

The guy getting his rant off his chest would not be helped by some of the comments on this thread. Could not a more constructive approach be taken (ok he’s gone but he probably is watching)?

Finally even the great Windows suffers this from time to time. I remember the weekend I spent trying an upgrade from XP to Vista (and back) because the upgrade did not work, there were just too many problems and I ended up with a booting system with which I could do very little constructive, however, a reinstall of XP and re-gaining access to my data and at the end of the weekend I was working again (sic).

The guy who did the failed upgrade was sort of preparing for the upgrade at work, but certainly needed to prepare a bit more. Looking at these forums it is easy to see that there are/were a lot of problems with 11.1 and discussions about how ready it was for prime time etc. As has been said earlier in the thread asking a few questions here might have saved him a lot of time and heart ache even if the responses are sometimes curt.

Is linux going to be doomed because of this sort of thing…most likely not, in my opinion. This sort of thing may even cause some improvements to be made in the upgrade area. Additionally, I know of some companies that are actively looking at replacing hp-ux and solaris for RHEL because of the enormous cost savings, not just in software costs, but also in maintenance. So linux, particularly in this current economic climate, makes a lot of sense and is likely to see growth…

Yeah, I probably went somewhat off-topic from hasty reading. Mea culpa. Still, it’s fairly well-known to long-time SUSE users that offline updates in SUSE are not as robust as fresh installs, and in-situ updates are nowhere near as mature as in other distros.

PS: In-situ doesn’t need to be quoted after the first use. It’s in the dictionary. :wink:

Like how? Read his OP again, and then try and respond constructively, remembering he is warning off apologists and he is not going to be here again :slight_smile:

I did read his post fully, and I though my response was constructive.

:slight_smile:

I think that not waiting to interact with the community before and after the problem is not constructive on the OP’s part. Since he doesn’t want to interact any more and nobody is game to spend time to replicate his experience of downloading 5-6GB of packages, it’s going to get written off as unverifiable and basically a rant, even if based on fact. I don’t doubt that he had a few problems, but how to move forward and fix the issues, or even to first identify the issues, well, perhaps somebody else has an idea, but not me.

I agree but the “flames” that invariably follow posts like this don’t do the community any good, surely a constructive effort is always worth it?

BTW I’ve wondered for a while where GMT+10 is - Cook Islands or Tahiti? Sounds fantastic.

It’s currently GMT+11. At the moment it’s too bl**dy hot. Try March/April or November/December.

Hi
Nah, it’s that little island off the west coast of New Zealand :wink:

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.1 x86 Kernel 2.6.27.7-9-default
up 2 days 8:10, 2 users, load average: 1.39, 1.34, 0.81
GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 180.27

I’m over 4500 ft up and its bloody cold. A couple more months and it will be bloody hot, and then I’ll have to complain about that.

GMT+10 still sounds good. If it is near NZ - any fjords?

I believe some kayakers did make it across, but it’s a rather long row. The Franz Josef and Fox glaciers, as well as Milford Sound sound good at the moment in this heat, I almost pine for the fiords ;), but I’d have to jump on a plane since getting sunburnt and salted doesn’t sound like fun to me.

LOL, and the rowing bit too!!! Plus there are lots of sandflies…

Only a few hundred feet above sea level here and was still cool last
evening around 21F tonight 36F

up 2 days 9:13, 1 user, load average: 0.24, 0.17, 0.18

On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 02:34:08 +0000, Malcolm wrote:

>

> LOL, and the rowing bit too!!! Plus there are lots of sandflies…
>
> Only a few hundred feet above sea level here and was still cool last
> evening around 21F tonight 36F

I’m at about 4200 feet (Salt Lake City) and it’s a balmy 43F out right
now, which I find amazing…

Jim

> LOL, and the rowing bit too!!! Plus there are lots of sandflies…
>
> Only a few hundred feet above sea level here and was still cool last
> evening around 21F tonight 36F

I’m at about 4200 feet (Salt Lake City) and it’s a balmy 43F out right
now, which I find amazing…

Jim
[/QUOTE]
That’s the teaser before the snow arrives :wink:

up 2 days 11:50, 1 user, load average: 0.08, 0.09, 0.25

On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 04:58:01 +0000, Malcolm wrote:

>

>> LOL, and the rowing bit too!!! Plus there are lots of sandflies…
>>
>> Only a few hundred feet above sea level here and was still cool last
>> evening around 21F tonight 36F
>
> I’m at about 4200 feet (Salt Lake City) and it’s a balmy 43F out right
> now, which I find amazing…
>
> Jim
> [/QUOTE]
> That’s the teaser before the snow arrives :wink:

Yeah, we’re about due for more snow. In fact, the forecast says 40%
chance of rain and snow after midnight, snow around 5,000 feet (I’m in
the valley, so figure about 4500 feet, the airport’s about 4200). And
tomorrow.

I’m glad my commute of late has been about 20 feet to the back of the
house; working from home is really nice. :slight_smile:

Jim

Yeh but, telling him he should read the advice on upgrading and do things like back ups, and not be so trusting of recently released software, probably won’t go down very well with him. Or may be that it’s a bit impetuous to decide on an unresearched OS upgrade, rather than figure out (consult) why the application doesn’t install.

If he’s been using UNIX since 2BSD like he said, he really has to have been burnt before. Also he’s way off facts about 5-6 GiB unless he installed practically everything. So in the end, many end up laughing at rants, rather than be sympathetic due to compassion burn out.

The initial responses were very reasonable. May be the best thing is just to ignore rants, and let the threads sink into obscurity.

I’ve always kept the same style when responding to “LOOK AT ME, I’M AN ATTENTION WH*RE” rant posts - I kick them until they’re down and then I kick them some more.

For such an “enlightened Unix user” he should have first attempted to, here it comes, ask for help - rather than go on blow up his system on his own. That was his first mistake.

The second mistake was coming here and posting a rant as his first and only post. Had he actually taken the time to ask for help in an issue he clearly did not have the necessary know-how to fix, he would’ve gotten a more positive response but no, he had to go all out and cry.

My ‘enlightened’ view on the issue is that most likely he never actually installed SuSE or any Linux for that matter but is posting on various forums, replacing the generic trolling of a “Linux distribution” with many of the various ones out there. Knowing very well that this is, amongst other forums, a Google indexed page it’s easy to manipulate search responses.

Try it, do “Linux is doomed” on Google - guess what the 3rd hit was for me?