Why Leap 42.2 wifi only with nmtui and not with a network icon in the panel? Please help newbie!

Hi,

I just installed openSUSE-Leap-42.2-DVD-x86_64.iso KDE Plasma on my notebook; installation went fine, but nowhere is something graphical in sight to connect to my wifi router! Nor in the lower panel, nor with “Configure Desktop”, nor with Yast (it did not like my searching for network, saying “networkmanager already running”. But where?). Desperately I tried things starting with “nm…” in /usr/bin, and… finally I got my connection with nmtui :slight_smile: However this a little bit awkward!

This is contrary to my previous installation of openSUSE-Edu-li-f-e.x86_64-42.1.1.iso, also KDE Plasma: the lower panel on the desktop showed to the right an icon for network connections. Where has this gone in 42.2?

Thank you,

susecub

Is plasma-nm5 installed?

Also check the system tray settings (right-click on the small up-arrow in the system tray to reach them), it may be disabled.

PS: configuring the network in YaST can only be done when NetworkManager is not used, but wicked.
You can switch in its “Global Settings” tab.

System tray settings ok (or are they?), I see, e.g., “System Services” and “Network automatic load” checked.

Strangely, after I had done this “nmtui” thing (my 1st post), I have now automatically wifi on and connected after each new PC start. But my panel looks weird (can it be cleaned up to defaults?).
And still no network connection icons as in 42.1 Li-f-e :frowning:
I have done 2 screenshots, but I do not know how to post them here?

Ok, then it seems that NetworkManager doesn’t start up in time I suppose, so Plasma doesn’t see it running and activate the applet (though it should actually do so if it recognizes that NM started).

Does it help to logout and login again maybe?

Strangely, after I had done this “nmtui” thing (my 1st post), I have now automatically wifi on and connected after each new PC start.

Not so strange after all.
NetworkManager is independent of KDE.
If you change settings with a different frontent (nmtui in this case), they will still be respected/used.

But my panel looks weird (can it be cleaned up to defaults?).

What exactly do you mean with “weird” here?
That the network applet is missing, or are there other problems?

I have done 2 screenshots, but I do not know how to post them here?

Use susepaste.org or similar and post a link.
You cannot upload images here.

I just like to note that I am not using openSUSE-L-i-f-e, it may be a specific problem with that.
It works fine on a standard openSUSE installation here, and ever did (and I am not aware of similar reports/posts either).

First, thank you for your detailed reply!

No, but a first system update after the installation did. Now I have the Network icon in my panel as I had with 42.1 Li-f-e :slight_smile:

However, I could not have done this update without this “nmtui” thing! While in 42.1 Li-f-e network connection could be done without fuzz right after the installation. And that is how it should be, shouldn’t it? Will every 42.2 user have to search for nmtui to be able to do his first update?

What exactly do you mean with “weird” here?

Well, the important things have shifted to the middle, i.e., starting from right to left: clock, filled up-directing black triangle, speaker symbol, clipboard contents, and (now) Network. After them, i.e., after the clock, to the right is “20 kb/S | 0 KB/s eth0” and the same to the far right, just before the 3 short lines atop of each other (some menu for the panel); in addition, nerwork activity is shown graphically with moving green heaps. Unfortunately, with triangle > Panel options, I see no possibility how to remove panel items, only how to add them :frowning:

I just like to note that I am not using openSUSE-L-i-f-e, it may be a specific problem with that.
It works fine on a standard openSUSE installation here, and ever did (and I am not aware of similar reports/posts either).

Well, I have a different experience, 42.1 L-i-f-e worked right from the start, OpenSuse 42.2 not.

I would have another question re updates. When I did the first update mentioned above, I was directed to Yast, and some errors occurred during the process, such as, “not connected” and things like these, but, nevertheless, I got a lot of updates (and succesful ones for networking). Strange.

Just after having left my thread, I found out how to clean the panel; very, very tricky at least for somebody like me used to the convenient and easily managable Unity of Ubuntu :wink:

You’re welcome.

I do try to help if I can, that’s why I’m here… :wink:

No, but a first system update after the installation did. Now I have the Network icon in my panel as I had with 42.1 Li-f-e :slight_smile:

Great!

Maybe the update fixed it. As I wrote, I have no experience with the Li-f-e CD…

However, I could not have done this update without this “nmtui” thing! While in 42.1 Li-f-e network connection could be done without fuzz right after the installation. And that is how it should be, shouldn’t it?

Yes, ideally.

Will every 42.2 user have to search for nmtui to be able to do his first update?

No, not in my experience.
And we would have gotten quite a few bug reports or forum posts already if that was the case, I think.

Well, I have a different experience, 42.1 L-i-f-e worked right from the start, OpenSuse 42.2 not.

Probably something that should be reported to the guys that maintain L-i-f-e.
See Archive:Education-Li-f-e - openSUSE Wiki

I would have another question re updates. When I did the first update mentioned above, I was directed to Yast, and some errors occurred during the process, such as, “not connected” and things like these, but, nevertheless, I got a lot of updates (and succesful ones for networking). Strange.

Well, there will always be a lot of updates if you install from a fixed CD/DVD. :wink:

I see that your panel “problem” seems to be fixed as well. Yes, KDE is not exactly the same as Unity, and we do have and support a lot of other desktops in openSUSE as well… :wink:

But, feel free to ask further questions about openSUSE (or KDE), but better in new and separate threads with a title according to your problem.
Thanks.

I think there is still some misundestanding:

My problem was not with Li-f-e, Li-f-e was fine, so, nothing to report about it!

The problem was with the regular OpenSuse 42.2 install. I wonder how I can avoid this “get-updates-only-with-nmtui-network-connection-after-a-first-install” when I will do another fresh install?

**Problem solved: **after the 4th fresh install my weak eyes :wink: saw the network icon on the panel. It is near invisible to me before the connection is activated. No nmtui anymore necessary :slight_smile:

Yeah, sorry.
Seems I misread your previous comment(s)…

So that was no technical problem but rather a “visual” one?
I.e. the icon was there all the time, you just didn’t see it?