Why is the search engine so lousy?

I’ve tried several times to search for “kde 4.1.1”, and it keeps saying “Nothing found”.

If it’s because I’m typing the question incorrectly, then why do I need a computer science degree in order to use it?

Shouldn’t it be “Human friendly”?

Not sure what is going on as when I search for “kde 4.1.1” I am receiving 2 pages of results.
openSUSE Forums - Search Results

I think it’s the space that’s the problem (kde4.1.) results or with kde4.1 results

I mistakenly used the “advanced” search and put quotes around it like this: “kde 4.1.1”
That gets heaps BUT they’re all KDE with the 4.1.1 filtered out.

However this gets a result in Google: site:forums.opensuse.org “KDE 4.1.1”, over 550 results

Keep in mind that MySQL fulltext search by default has a minimum word length of 4 characters. We actually changed from the default here to 3 characters. Including 1 and 2 character words is difficult for MySQL Fulltext Search to produce meaningful results and acceptable performance. (Check the MySQL Fulltext Search Manual) The dot character separates the numbers so they look like individual words to MySQL and they are ignored by the search. Using boolean functions when searching helps, but I believe the numbers are still ignored. It’s just the downside of this type of search. Fortunately, our forums are indexed by Google and when you run into this type of problem you can do a Google search and usually find posts that you need. FWIW.

Which search engine?

The one in OpenSuSE 11.0? The OpenSuSE website?
Google?

I assume the forums search engine since we’re in the forums comments/suggestions forum.

> I assume the forums search engine since we’re in the forums
> comments/suggestions forum.

That’s an awful big assumption though, there are many
‘search’ features even in OpenSuSE.

GofBorg,

> That’s an awful big assumption though, there are many
> ‘search’ features even in OpenSuSE.

I just go with the facts presented me. If I’m mistaken, I assume (there I
go again) the original poster will clarify.

lol, yes I meant the one on this Forum :).

Maybe it just hates me, or my lousy dial-up connection!

No biggie, this was just another bad decision to post while I was in a bad mood, forget it.