Why is moonlight development so frigging slow!?

So Microsoft is working on the Silverlight 4 beta. While Moonlight is stuck at 1.0! Yes there is a preview of 2.0, but come on… they should be at 4.0 as well.

So who do we blame, Novell or Microsoft?

If we are lucky it will disappear altogether along with mono.

Blame both, MS and Novell… or rather MS and MS fanboy de Icaza who really would love to work for MS but couldn’t get in there so now he’s buddying up to them… what an ****

de Icaza is no longer the guy from years ago so I have no longer respect for him, no matter if he brought GNOME and few other things to us.

The fact that he did bring GNOME is most likely a reason alone to hate the guy >:)

@Chrys :slight_smile:

Probably true, though I like to be on the neutral side even though I dislike everything GNOME (even dislike how the GNU people pronounce it, like they just dropped a turd lol!). There are lots of people who like GNOME and I’m fine with that but for me personally, KDE is the better choice.

Blame both. The beta’s work on and off. This should not be too hard for the two of them to get it working properly

I recall reading that even though moonlight is only listed as being version 1.0, it has a good number of Silverlight 2.0 bits in it because the development took so long.

Whatever they say, I still haven’t been able to get the darn thing to work properly. Even when it does work, it’s dog slow and usually locks up my browser if I use it for any extended period of time.

Even though I strongly dislike it, I am happy that Linux users aren’t completely excluded from using Silverlight content. Now if only moonlight could get on the same footing as Silverlight, and work more reliably things would be golden. But alas, Linux users are forced to remain patient for some half-baked proprietary program that will probably be never as good as its proprietary native counterpart.

At least we have Flash. rotfl!

I blame MS, and Novell is to blame too as they are the ones who signed the deal with MS.
Its the moonlight issue that makes me mistrust Novell

Remember that there were once licensing issues with QT. Gnome brought a 100% open source DE alternative, and de Icaza has to be credited at least with that.

With all of its pitfalls, Mono has brought a lot of companies and developers with their .Net-based environments to the Linux world. I once did some development in .Net: In this part of the US, its what employers have demanded in recent years, and the local colleges have virtually embraced it. Having Mono to port some of my apps over made it very easy to drop M$ and their cartel.

I think the same.

I hope the same.

Note:
I like Gnome.

You will have to explain in clear logic how using .NET has freed you from from MS and their cartel rotfl!

Good point. :slight_smile: Mono is open source. It effectively implements a technology developed by Microsoft, so I can’t say “100% free.” But I can say I have no traces of Windows on my system; I have no license obligations to MS; office documents are in open format; and with one or two exceptions (Flash), I use only free and open source software.

This is perhaps a great way of learning about open source, and how you can make a difference by joining an existing effort to get to the finish line faster.

Although some might think that debating who should be blamed for not having Moonlight implement the latest spec on the forums is a valuable contribution, in my experience it does not help in any measurable way the actual product.

There are a number of ways that you can use to help, you can read our Contributing - Mono page which contains some pointers on how to get started.

Moonlight today is roughly between 2.0 and 3.0, we have features from 3.0 like Easing functions, Smooth Streaming and adaptive streaming with the pluggable media pipeline and the new bitmap APIs.

We are still missing various pieces from 3.0, we will put up a page of things that developers can add next week.

As for Silverlight 4, I am incredibly excited about it. I will blog my thoughts next week, but I am as excited about Silverlight 4 as when Silverlight first came out.

@miguel

no matter what you do or how you turn it, you will ALWAYS be one step behind of Silverlight. This is just the way it is and always will be when you deal with proprietary closed-specs “standards” and depend on those who invented it to release info on new versions and additions, which can be whenever they like or don’t like.