Why does Snapper Yast plugin (gui) not have rollback?

Hello,

I’ve used both OpenSuse Leap 42.3 and SLES 12 SP2. I’ve noticed that the snapper gui yast plugin allows you to create, delete, modify snapshots, and restore individual files, but not to do a rollback. To rollback, you have to use the command line tool.

I’m just wondering if there is some design philosophy reason driving this? Is it that it’s considered dangerous to make it too easy for users to rollback to a snapshot?

Hi and welcome to the Forum :slight_smile:
By design AFAIK, since you need to boot into the snapshot to rollback… I guess you don’t need a gui to run one command?

I would just point out that you don’t always need to boot into the snapshot to rollback. You do have to reboot after a rollback in order to load the new root filesystem snapshot (a rollback, as far as I can tell(?) appears to create a new read-write snapshot of whatever snapshot you rolled back to, e.g. let’s say your most recent snapshot is number 105, and you issue command “snapper rollback 98”, it will create a snapshot 106 of the current filesystem state, then create a snapshot 107 as a clone of 98, then set snapshot 107 as the default root filesystem for the next time you reboot).

In any case, whatever it’s doing, you don’t have to reboot into a snapshot in order to roll back. Although you do have that as one option (if your current root snapshot is too corrupted to boot a working system, for example).

Hello,

I’ve used both OpenSuse Leap 42.3 and SLES 12 SP2. I’ve noticed that the snapper gui yast plugin allows you to create, delete, modify snapshots, and restore individual files, but not to do a rollback. To rollback, you have to use the command line tool.

I’m just wondering if there is some design philosophy reason driving this? Is it that it’s considered dangerous to make it too easy for users to rollback to a snapshot?

Hello,

Is it possible to do without the command line tool? How to boot a btrfs snapshot of the root filesystem?
Thanks.

Hi, welcome

Please start a new thread, describe what you want to achieve as good as you can.