Why does "kernel-desktop-base" conflict with "kernel-desktop"?

Hi there,

I use the 32-bit version of openSUSE 12.3 on a machine with 4GB of RAM, so I need the PAE extensions. I installed “kernel-desktop” which includes PAE and some tweaks for better desktop performance. However, when I try to install the modules “kernel-desktop-base” package, it won’t allow it, saying that it conflicts with “kernel-desktop”. Why would the base modules package conflict with its accompanying kernel?

Thanks a lot!

That’s not the base modules fot he accompanying kernel, it’s a basic version of the same kernel so to say, with only the base modules. These base modules are included in kernel-desktop. No need to do anything to get PAE working, should work out of the box.
BTW: what are your reasons not to run 64bit? Everything, well almost, is available in 64bit versions, and otherwise the 32bit support on x86_64 systems is great.

Oops, sorry for the late reply. For some reason the email notification for new replies never made it.

Thanks very much for clearing up my misunderstanding of the kernel-desktop-base packages.

As for 64bit, I guess I probably should think about trying it out. I just remembered reading a lot of stuff about things like the Flash plugin not working well on a 64bit system and requiring elaborate workarounds to make it run. I also run several 32bit Windows programs under Wine, and I wasn’t sure if it would work. That’s probably all changed by now, but I never saw any compelling reason to run 64bit.

Maybe 4-5 years ago that was true. But that was then and this is now :slight_smile: I hav been eunning 64 bit sine 10.1 and have and no problems with running 32 bit apps when I needed to.