Why does Kaffeine have so few configuration options?

There isn’t even a brightness control.

It’s just a basic dvd install with Kde as the chosen DE, but it has been this way in any system I have installed since openSUSE moved to Kde 4.

On The Kde website Kaffeine looks more or less as well outfitted as it was In Kde 3.

Is something not right in my system?

No, I don’t think so; Kaffeine has not been actively developed for quite some time, Kaffeine on KDE3 was quite nice but it isn’t that capable any more.
You might be better off using another media player:)

So I can’t speak for the KDE team, but in KDE 3, it appeared the application took on all hardware as directly as it could, both for sound and video. In KDE 4, Kaffeine has become a user of built-in functions such as PulseAudio and the utilities in Configure desktop. I was a big fan of Kaffeine 3, but I don’t use 4 all that much except when it pops up as the default viewer for some reason. I mostly use VLC these days and I would give it a try. I do miss the functions of KDE 3 and you can still load it, but you need to switch to an xine setup I guess. It did not work all that well last time I tried it in openSUSE 12.2, but you can search for and load it from YaST to see if its better these days if you wish. The bottom line though it is KDE that made the change, not openSUSE and like just like the switch to Grub2, systemd or PulseAudio, we keep marching forward and never looking back it would seem.

Thank You,

You can try out

Backend
• MPlayer
• mplayer2/• mplayer2-as-mplayer

Frontend
• gmplayer
• gnome-mplayer
• smplayer
• umplayer
• smplayer2

webplayer
•gecko-mediaplayer

That’s not true. The KDE3 version was plugin based, there was a plugin for xine and one for gstreamer (which was experimental).
The KDE4 version uses xine directly (not phonon or pulseaudio; dragon is the one using phonon).
And work has been started to switch it to using VLC instead.

The bottom line though it is KDE that made the change, not openSUSE

No not KDE. Kaffeine is not part of KDE. It is an independant application that uses KDE for its GUI.
The Kaffeine developers made the change.
Well, they rewrote it for KDE4 but apparently didn’t manage to reimplement every function (because of lack of manpower?).
Or maybe they just wanted to make it simpler, who knows…

But I still prefer kaffeine over anything else (yes even VLC! :wink: ) for watching DVB television.

Btw, if you do prefer the KDE3 version, it is still available on Packman…

So, when you say “The KDE4 version uses xine directly (not phonon or pulseaudio; dragon is the one using phonon).” do you think PulseAudio is not being used? How is it in that the setup in Pulse, even to using a DTS connection effects the output of the new Kaffeine 4? As to functions, many were not put back in such as my favorite KDE 3 option to adjust the horizontal width to fill the entire screen. It did not care about aspect ratios, but was a good solution to filling your entire monitor for a movie view. I can say that I have used Kaffeine 3 in openSUSE 12.2 and it did not work properly at all and is no longer a workable option in openSUSE I feel. While I do not claim to be an expert of KDE 4 I would wonder how xine could be used in our present default setup? I for one do not recommend switching from GStreamer to xine these days for any reason. The jist of this message I think is the obvious reduction in function of Kaffeine for KDE 4 when compared to KDE 3, due to no fault in openSUSE and I feel that this statement is true no matter the specifics on how it occurred. Switching your sound setup to something other than the default should only be done if you do not understand the the whole process and there are lots of other video options that work well besides Kaffeine which is not to say that Kaffeine in KDE 4 does not work or is somehow no longer useful as that is certainly not true in any way. Further I am happy for any product written for the Linux community and thank them for their efforts.

Thank You for using openSUSE,

PulseAudio is not being used on my system (I don’t even have it installed ;)…)
As I said: Kaffeine uses xine. If you have PulseAudio up and running and libxine2-pulse installed, xine uses PulseAudio for audio output (that’s the purpose of its pulse plugin).

As to functions, many were not put back in such as my favorite KDE 3 option to adjust the horizontal width to fill the entire screen. It did not care about aspect ratios, but was a good solution to filling your entire monitor for a movie view. I can say that I have used Kaffeine 3 in openSUSE 12.2 and it did not work properly at all and is no longer a workable option in openSUSE I feel.

Right. kde3-kaffeine allowed you to change all of xine’s settings.

But there is a file xine-config in ~/.kde4/share/apps/kaffeine/ so I guess you can set up xine to your liking for the KDE4 version as well…
And kaffeine4 does have an option “Aspect Ratio”->“Fit to window”, not sure if that is exactly what you mean though.

Regarding kde3-kaffeine, I just tried to run it and could play an avi video (divx/ac3) without problem. So it seems to work fine here…

While I do not claim to be an expert of KDE 4 I would wonder how xine could be used in our present default setup? I for one do not recommend switching from GStreamer to xine these days for any reason. The jist of this message I think is the obvious reduction in function of Kaffeine for KDE 4 when compared to KDE 3, due to no fault in openSUSE and I feel that this statement is true no matter the specifics on how it occurred. Switching your sound setup to something other than the default should only be done if you do not understand the the whole process and there are lots of other video options that work well besides Kaffeine which is not to say that Kaffeine in KDE 4 does not work or is somehow no longer useful as that is certainly not true in any way. Further I am happy for any product written for the Linux community and thank them for their efforts.

“the obvious reduction in function of Kaffeine for KDE 4 when compared to KDE 3” has absolutely nothing to do with xine either. It’s a decision by kaffeine’s developers (be it deliberately, due to lack of manpower/time, or whatever).

Well, in the next openSUSE version, KDE will use VLC by default (not gstreamer anymore). The reason for choosing gstreamer as default backend was, that the xine backend wasn’t maintained and working anymore, and VLC couldn’t be included in the main distro because of legal reasons.
Due to the recent split-out of vlc-codecs this has changed and the next distro version will contain VLC (without the codecs of course).

Well, in the next openSUSE version, KDE will use VLC by default (not gstreamer anymore). The reason for choosing gstreamer as default backend was, that the xine backend wasn’t maintained and working anymore, and VLC couldn’t be included in the main distro because of legal reasons.
Due to the recent split-out of vlc-codecs this has changed and the next distro version **will **contain VLC (without the codecs of course).

Also because of lack of phonon-backend-gstreamer developement for gstreamer 1.x. if I understood it correctly. A bit sad that neither for xine nor gstreamer there is a phonon backend for the latest versions.

The jist of this message I think is the obvious reduction in function of Kaffeine for KDE 4 when compared to KDE 3, due to no fault in openSUSE and I feel that this statement is true no matter the specifics on how it occurred.

What one might hold against OpenSuSE is the decision to implement PulseAudio in the first place, and have users to use it by default; PA is not a part of KDE (?). However, building the system around PA seems to be in consensus with what the other distributions do, although, it is not needed and does not seem to me to ease the set-up of the audio system for the common user either, but I might be wrong:dont-know:
And a bit beside the point as PA doesn’t, I suppose, limit Kaffeine’s capabilities.

Cheers,
Olav

Yes. But I guess a phonon-backend-gstreamer-1.0 will be available sooner or later by upstream KDE.

What one might hold against OpenSuSE is the decision to implement PulseAudio in the first place, and have users to use it by default; PA is not a part of KDE (?). However, building the system around PA seems to be in consensus with what the other distributions do, although, it is not needed and does not seem to me to ease the set-up of the audio system for the common user either, but I might be wrong:dont-know:

I think Ubuntu started to make PA mandatory first. (not sure though, at least they had it as default before openSUSE)
But at least you can easily disable it on openSUSE: YaST->Hardware->Sound, Click on “Other” and select “PulseAudio Configuration”.

And yes, PA is not part of KDE, KDE made their soundsystem (phonon) use switchable backends. GNOME is more directly connected to PA: PA was designed as drop-in replacement for GNOME’s ESD sound daemon right from the start. And there was a time when you couldn’t even have sound in GNOME on openSUSE anymore without PA. This got fixed later on by an online update. (I can dig out the bugreport if you want)
And I guess that’s the main reason why it is used by default now. IIRC for some time span it was only installed on a GNOME install but not on a KDE install…

I think Ubuntu started to make PA mandatory first. (not sure though, at least they had it as default before openSUSE)
But at least you can easily disable it on openSUSE: YaST->Hardware->Sound, Click on “Other” and select “PulseAudio Configuration”.

I don’t use PA either, I usually remove the packages during installation.

I can dig out the bugreport if you want

No need to do that on my behalf, but thank you:)

I have seen such a mention about not using GStreamer and I just hope that when online video and audio stops working for openSUSE users in the next openSUSE version and such other problems that those same developers that made such a choice come here and help the users they have caused a problem to in the openSUSE forum. I don’t look forward to holding the bag on such a change in the openSUSE forums, should it occur. That would include not recommending openSUSE 13 if such a multimedia mess should develop. I hope that those in the know understand the problem correctly. Consider the number of people upset with switching to systemd times 10,000.

Thank You,

Sorry, I don’t understand you.

Nothing will change. Except that VLC is included in the distro by default, which is a good thing, don’t you agree?

And KDE’s default phonon backend will be changed to phonon-backend-vlc.

If you mean that: Yes, the plan is to not include gstreamer-0_10 anymore. That causes too much problems.
Not only that it’s unmaintained.
But applications crash if they somehow load both gstreamer-1.0 and gstreamer-0.10. And they don’t do that explicitely, but via dependencies. That’s not maintainable for a distro, there are lots of bugreports and forum complaints about that. Blame upstream gstreamer for that mess…

Dropping gstreamer-0_10 would make it easier for support, don’t you think?

gstreamer-1.0 will stay in the distro, of course.

And don’t mention systemd here. I never had a problem with this either!(And yes, I do maintain servers…):wink:

Unmaintainable is a good word to use and can go alone with unusable and unsupportable which can be added words to the same list. Ever so often, its not best to be first in my opinion. I make every effort to use and understand the new products added to openSUSE as long as there is a workable plan we can live with. It is my task here in the openSUSE forums to assist our users in making openSUSE work for them. I make every effort to stick with the standards that have been setup for us such as not uninstalling PulseAudio. I am not against updates to the distro, I surely stick with the latest kernel, but we have went down the road to use PulseAudio, to use Grub2 and to use systemd. If we decide to go down a new multimedia road, I hope we do not need to create a new trail in the process. If you doubt my desire to get openSUSE to work for you, please have a look at my blog posts, the URL is in my signature.

I do appreciate your blog posts and your efforts. That’s why I wrote what I wrote. Please read it again! :wink:

And I’m here too to support users’ problems. See f.e. https://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/applications/486676-kde-4-10-3-update-broken-kdebase4-session-package-3.html

Anyway, this is going way off-topic now I guess. But it’s not me to decide…:wink:

Yes off topic indeed, but I am unlikely to delete myself here. I will say we need an openSUSE release that works for the greatest number of users we can support and leave it at that.

I fully agree with that! :wink:

As wolfi already said, distro will not ditch gstreamer, but:
a) try to switch all the packages depending on 0_10 to gstreamer-1.0
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Goals_13.1#Multimedia
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Goals_13.1/Port_to_GStreamer_1.0
b) from KDE side, include vlc backend, probably utilize it as default, and also, which is part of a), include phonon-gstreamer-1.0 –> drop phonon-gstreamer_0_10