Why choose between MS Windows & SuSE?

Many posters on here struggle with this decision - “should I dual boot, or should I remove XP/Vista and go all the way with Linux?”
But wait, “gamers” need to dual boot, and some people still need access to their Windows apps, thus it is such a hard decision to decide what to do! Solution: Buy VMware 6.5x! With VMware & openSuSE 11.0, you simply do not have to choose! I run linux in a full screen window and the mouse can move seamless between the Windows side and the Linux side! Thus I retain all functionality at my fingertips all the time. I have a virtual 60 gig Linux partition actually using only about 8 gig at this time, talk about efficiency! And the problem with dual-boot is two-fold: (1) your computer is only 50% useful at any one moment, and (2) the partitions which you allocate for each OS are generally wasted space 100% of the time (since you only use one at a time). I urge everyone to try this approach with VMware. Many of the configuration problems people complain about here go away automatically since one piggybacks off of the internet ports and the graphics engine is also virtual (but I am running XGA inside, 1024x768). Let’s face it, much hardware and consumer priced laptops are Windows optimized; I have yet to see any manufacturer optimize for Unix/Linux which has a price consumers would be willing to pay. There are upfront costs: VMware is $180, but the efficiencies gained are priceless!

That’s a good idea.
But during this hard times some can’t really afford to take out the hard earned money from the pocket. Buying another stuff when you have an existing one you can utilize is the most preferable way.

Just my two cents
conram

Yes there is this attitude in the linux world, that “freedom and free” are synonomous. But I think we risk losing valuable technology in the long run with this attitude.

RichardET wrote:
> Many posters on here struggle with this decision - “should I dual boot,
> or should I remove XP/Vista and go all the way with Linux?”
> But wait, “gamers” need to dual boot, and some people still need access
> to their Windows apps, thus it is such a hard decision to decide what to
> do! Solution: Buy VMware 6.5x! With VMware & openSuSE 11.0, you
> simply do not have to choose! I run linux in a full screen window and
> the mouse can move seamless between the Windows side and the Linux side!
> Thus I retain all functionality at my fingertips all the time. I have
> a virtual 60 gig Linux partition actually using only about 8 gig at this
> time, talk about efficiency! And the problem with dual-boot is
> two-fold: (1) your computer is only 50% useful at any one moment, and
> (2) the partitions which you allocate for each OS are generally wasted
> space 100% of the time (since you only use one at a time). I urge
> everyone to try this approach with VMware. Many of the configuration
> problems people complain about here go away automatically since one
> piggybacks off of the internet ports and the graphics engine is also
> virtual (but I am running XGA inside, 1024x768). Let’s face it, much
> hardware and consumer priced laptops are Windows optimized; I have yet
> to see any manufacturer optimize for Unix/Linux which has a price
> consumers would be willing to pay. There are upfront costs: VMware is
> $180, but the efficiencies gained are priceless!
>
>
Why do that when they can get vmware server 2 for free. Or use
virtualbox, qemu, xen or any other virtualization alternative.

But I think we risk losing valuable technology in the long run with this attitude.

<Sarcasm>
You really understood the idea behind free (as in free speech)software.
</Sarcasm>

BTW:

Did you ask for the agreement of the administrators before you posted an advertisement for a commercial and also unfree product?

Oh really? And just what is all this software we are using if it is not a commercial product? The GNU license does not preclude anything from being commercial, just open source.

Hi
I’ve been using vmware workstation since version 4.5 just before the
release of the 5 series so after my initial purchase it was a free
upgrade. I did however recently upgrade to 6.5.

I think the paid version has more features than the server version eg
USB. That being said I think virtualbox has come up as an excellent free
alternative. If the system supports vt, then look at Xen.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.1 (i586) Kernel 2.6.27.19-3.2-pae
up 2:29, 1 user, load average: 0.37, 0.34, 0.37
ASUS eeePC 1000HE ATOM N280 1.66GHz | GPU Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME

• As VMware is unfree your argumentation is pointless.

• GNU/Linux would have never become what they are if they had not been free (as in free speech) from the beginning until now

• Companies keeping their technology closed (which is perfectly fine if they wish so) certainly keep this knowledge away from the public, so again your argumentation is flawed

And last but not least:

• Advertising a (commercial) product needs explicit agreement of the forum administrators, so I ask again if you did this. Otherwise you should delete your posting immediately as it is against the rules of this forum.

I do not need your support. And all my copies of Suse are BOUGHT.

From a developers point of view…

J5’s Blog » Ah the memories

You’re arguments are so full of holes it all boils down to you want something for free while we just want to give you Freedom (e.g. you are concerned about the small f while I am concerned about the big F)

Puse Audio debate is the background… and being paid to develop…

Malcolm wrote:
> [snip]
> I think the paid version has more features than the server version eg
> USB. That being said I think virtualbox has come up as an excellent free
> alternative. If the system supports vt, then look at Xen.
>

The server version has USB support.
http://www.vmware.com/support/server2/doc/releasenotes_vmserver2.html

You have me curious though what the differences might be.

So what?

You did not buy the software if you bought the box, but as an expert in GPL you certainly know that.

I get paid to make FOSS work for my customers, not for you but I am generous enough to also do a lot of work which I don’t get paid for (being a GNOME board member is a lot of work) and getting FOSS to work for you even if I think you are full of hot air

Getting paid to work on FOSS is just like any other job, I need it to pay the rent, put food on my table, etc.

Not so sure you have an understanding of the meaning of freedom either. It has zero to do with money there is a big hint.

Read the comment by someone who does contribute to OSS and gets paid for it and what they think of these types of opinions.

Hi
Ahh ok :slight_smile: Have a look here;

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.1 (i586) Kernel 2.6.27.19-3.2-pae
up 3:17, 1 user, load average: 0.20, 0.28, 0.20
ASUS eeePC 1000HE ATOM N280 1.66GHz | GPU Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME

> I urge everyone to try this approach with VMware.

first, this sounds a LOT like you work for VMware…

or second, this sounds a LOT like you work for MS

and, third: if i ever find a reason to need Windows[tm] i’ll try to
remember your urging…

MultiplePersonality

ps: there has not been a MS-Windows[tm] boot in THIS house since the
late '90s…i left MS in '95 for OS/2, but bought a closeout system in
about '98 or '99 that had NT on it, never used it, but booted it once
before i wiped and installed Warp…

I’m no sure if you are addressing me, but if you do, I certainly agree with the latter and I am also sure that I know what “freedom” means (which should normally be clear when reading my first posts and what they address).

I know that a lot of FLOSS-development is paid and that “freedom” does not have anything to do with money and that i.e. the GPL is very clear about what you can charge for the software itsself (= nothing), you can only charge for the costs let’s say for CD/DVD and shipping, the real money should be made by offering support and other services but not for the code itsself.

And as somebody contributing myself for free (not as a programmer but as tester and bug reporter or some small translation stuff) and also paying for services (by donating to several projects) I think I understand both, the “commercial” side and the “freedom” side of FLOSS.

(If you did not address me with that post, then forget what I said.)

And my main criticism on this thread (which I stated several times now) is that it sounds like “snake oil salesman”-style commercial SPAM for an unfree (as in freedom) product in a forum for a linux distribution which takes increasing care in shipping free software only.

Actually I do statistics with a major stat package. I just like computers and I have worked with many different OS flavors on many different platforms. There appears to be this tendency among many Linux users that any corporate software is bad due to its proprietary nature, but I think Linux people limit their own choice with this attitude and not the corporations which produce software they so “dislike.” Most Linux companies are on board with virtualization, so it seems it is a topic we should explore here more in all its facets.

Mmm are you sure

you can only charge for the costs let’s say for CD/DVD and shipping

Think you have some reading,
Selling Free Software - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation (FSF)

Except for one special situation, the GNU General Public License (GNU GPL) has no requirements about how much you can charge for distributing a copy of free software. You can charge nothing, a penny, a dollar, or a billion dollars. It’s up to you, and the marketplace, so don’t complain to us if nobody wants to pay a billion dollars for a copy.

I am trying to start a discussion about virtualization; I happen to use vmware but I realize there are other choices. I am not interested in the politics of to GNU or not to GNU. Linux and specifically SUSE linux is great but I live in the real world and need flexibility and I am interested in what others are doing along these lines.

Me too for gnu freaks I believe there is distros for them, but reckon they’ll come running back.

I choose the oportunity to educate a few many think OSS is free and miss the true freedoms.

I use nvidia and stand by my choice.

My own opinion is I keep seeing gamers=windows that simply isn’t true as much so Gamers=Sony/MS

My Xbox whips the arse out of any thing I can turn my pc to so pure linux is fine for me I like the virtulisation of networking from vmware but really need some more ram.