whole disk with btrfs installation and snapshot boot function

sorry for the noob question:
please could I install opensuse by dedicating all the drive to btrfs and then still manage to have the system automatically (and beautifully) configured for letting me boot (and in case rollback) to any root filesystem snapshot as in a default install?
I’d like to install /home and all other partitions as subvolumes by just telling the installer that the whole disk has to be formatted btrfs and leaving the subvolumes choice to the installer.

If that would work, please what would happen when I boot from a snapshot? that would mount only a set (/boot, /root or whatever) of read-only subvolumes but not /home, right?
How is that automatic config of grub2 (adding snapshot entries) happening? script or there’s a specific program which I can configure?

Thanks for any clarification :slight_smile:

https://www.suse.com/documentation/sled-12/book_sle_admin/data/sec_snapper_snapshot-boot.html may give some starting points. I believe original intention was to allow booting from arbitrary snapshot, but this documentation says, only snapshots created by snapper are supported.

Thanks! I’ll have a look at that and run some tests… for some reason I thought that installing everything (/home) under btrfs would somehow break grub2 auto-configuration for the snapshot boot entries.

Snapshots are not backups. But I think as configured that only the system directories are snapped. I think it is possible to set any directory to be part of the snapping. So far I have not seen a scenario that only snapshots would save you. At best is is a convenience for a roll back. But it should not be considered a backup if your drive goes all is lost. Also depending on settings and frequency of snapping a significant amount of space can be invisibly used up. A lot of problems here are people not allowing enough space for the snaps and run out of space. It can be confusing because the normal Linux tools don’t show snapper usage.

The main reason for a separate home is to separate user data from system data and a fundamental level. Say you want to install some other Linux OS. With separate partitions you get to keep your personal setting without having to restore from backup. It is really an extremely good idea for a lot of reasons

Where did you find someone speaking about “backup” in this thread?

No where but it sounded like the OP was thinking of using snapshots as backup. It was implicit in his suggested configuration.