Which PCMCIA wireless card?

I’m going to buy a new wireless card for a Compaq Presario R3000 as the internal one is not working properly (despite the best efforts of those in the wireless forum).

Am I right in thinking that D-Link cards are generally okay, in terms of drivers? Specifically, the ones available in the shop are the DWL-G650 and the DWA-645. A forum search has shown that a few people have had difficulties with the DWL-G650, but others say it works. I can’t find much useful info on the D-Link website.

Any recommendations/ideas would be welcome :slight_smile:

Check HCL/Network Adapters (Wireless) - openSUSE , there’s a number of PCMCIA cards listed there.

DWL-650 have been tested to work in OS 9.x (old!)

It’s probably supported in OS 11.x too.

I just unboxed a new D-Link DWA-643. This is the little narrow ExpressCard. D-Link Xtreme N Notebook ExpressCard It also comes as a DWA-652 which is the regular PCMCIA slot version. D-Link Xtreme N Notebook Adapter

I used to have one of these and got rid of it because D-Link did not provide a driver for 64bit Vista. However, the Windows7 native driver picks it up and it works upon insertion. I just installed it a few minutes ago in Windows7 64bit and configured it. I can vouch that it works.

Just restarted the PC and booted into openSUSE 11.2 in Gnome and it picked up the card and showed my wireless connection. All I had to do was type in my passphrase and I had a 300mb connection. No MadWiFi, or anything. Just plug and Play. I am using it right now to type this post.:slight_smile:

Edit to add a late thought.

I picked this card up for $30 US as a refurb.