Which one is better USB modem or Android Cell phone tethering

Which metod is better for browsing the web and big files download (700 mb to 1.5 gb) USB modem or Android Cell phone tethering in the same location? I mean which device is faster?

Thanks

On Tue, 02 Feb 2016 16:36:01 +0000, Easgs wrote:

> Which metod is better for browsing the web and big files download (700
> mb to 1.5 gb) USB modem or Android Cell phone tethering in the same
> location? I mean which device is faster?

That would be entirely dependent on your carrier and network
connectivity. There’s no way to answer that question generically.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

But lets say that the connection signal is excellent in the location where is gonna be used (already tested with an usb modem Huawei E303) which one will have better performance the Cel phone connected with the usb cable or the Usb modem?

Again, as hendersj stated, there’s no general answer.
Check the specs: does the stick (or phone) support 4G-LTE? Or HSDPA (to what max speed)? Or 3G only?
And does your carrier support those (irrespective of signal strenght, that might aid avoiding errors but does not change supported technology…).
Then remember that you need an USB 3.0 connection (either with phone or dongle) to go beyond, say, 4-5 Mbit/s.

On Tue, 02 Feb 2016 17:16:01 +0000, Easgs wrote:

> But lets say that the connection signal is excellent in the location
> where is gonna be used (already tested with an usb modem Huawei E303)
> which one will have better performance the Cel phone connected with the
> usb cable or the Usb modem?

Is the modem 300 baud? 56K? Is the cell phone 3G, LTE, 5G?

Are the devices USB 1.0, 2.0, or 3.0?

Too many different variables to give a concise answer. What’s more, a
lot depends on if your carrier does throttling of any kind.

Your best way to find out is to try them and see what works best in your
locale.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

I’ve typically found that you don’t have a choice.

I don’t even know if using an Android as a modem is possible anymore… It’s literally been much longer than a decade since my wireless phone carrier gave me modem credentials to connect that way.

AFAIK, it’s only possible to connect using the Android device as a proxy… In other words, regardless whether “tethering” using a USB cable, Bluetooth or whatever, you’re actually running ethernet over the connection. Your phone has its built-in authentication to the carrier, and your laptop (or whatever) tethered device does not present credentials… it’s automatically using a trusted connection to the Android device.

TSU

I made a test with a Blu 5+5 cell phone with Android 5 connected via wi fi and another test via USB cable, and I was capable of downloading a 800 mb file in 36 minutes average with both tests, so the cell phone it is.

thanks

So, it seems that your definition of “tethering” is not the same as others.

By your description, it sounds like you were actually asking about two types of tethering… connecting by WiFi local hotspot or USB cable (and ordinarily there should be a third option using Bluetooth).

None of them actually configures the mobile phone as a modem… That is quite different and as I described would mean that your attached device (non-phone) would have to provide credentials to the ISP instead of using the built-in authentication of the phone.

But yes. It depends on your wireless data technology’s max data transfer speeds.
A serial connection over USB2 or USB3 (and Bluetooth within maybe 3 ft) should support 800kbits/sec, and WiFi has a much faster throughput.

TSU

No, you misunderstood the OP. They were quite clear IMO - a tethered connection via phone (USB or wireless) vs using a USB broadband wireless device.