Which kernel is needed which one to remove?

Sorry if it is a dumb question (i’m coming from deb/ubuntu and i’m totally new to rpm - installed Smeegol on a Samsung N150). After some try&error i finally got my Broadcom4313 working but underway to that i got lots of new kernels and now i don’t understand not so much anymore.

me@linux-cgje:~> rpm -qa | grep kernel
kernel-default-2.6.34.7-0.5.1.i586
kernel-desktop-2.6.34.7-0.5.1.i586
kernel-default-devel-2.6.34.7-0.5.1.i586
kernel-pae-2.6.34.7-0.5.1.i586
kernel-firmware-20100617-2.2.noarch
kernel-desktop-devel-2.6.34.7-0.5.1.i586
kernel-source-2.6.34.7-0.5.1.noarch
kernel-pae-devel-2.6.34.7-0.5.1.i586
kernel-xen-devel-2.6.34.7-0.5.1.i586
kernel-devel-2.6.34.7-0.5.1.noarch
kernel-xen-2.6.34.7-0.5.1.i586

I think the kernel default-devel it was me installing it using the distribution manager to get working make (for trying to install the original Broadcom driver package; i stopped that attempt because i didn’t where exactly to move/cp the built driver). Then i found an instruction to a one-click installation of the broadcom driver utils by a Packman repository (it was a big installation procedure, i didn’t really understand why - but now i see . . . :wink: )

Ok, that’s it. Any suggestion is welcome . . . and thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Go into Yast and remove all kernel packages in the list above except the following

kernel-desktop-2.6.34.7-0.5.1.i586
kernel-firmware-20100617-2.2.noarch
kernel-source-2.6.34.7-0.5.1.noarch

Unless you have a special need the other flavors are not needed and will only complicate things.

Thanks.

But there is a problem: When i try to delete a kernel out of that you suggested to eliminate Yast , e.g. if i try to eliminate pae automatically activates pae-base (and the same in case of the others). Any idea?

An additional question: Shouldn’t i opt for default (since i’m on a netbook not a desktop)?

That’s not what “desktop” means. If you have more than 2GB of RAM, you need the desktop or PAE kernel in order to address the memory above. If you have less than 2GB, the default kernel is OK.

Default is optimized for servers. Desktop is optimized for a GUI interface. Either will work you just get a little better performance for the jobs you want to do. Unless you have specific special needs you want only Desktop if your primary use is a GUI interface even if you machine is a note/net/lap book.

Getting back to this thread: I’vre problems to deinstall the superfluous kernels (as suggested here some posts earlier) with the software installation/removing tool. When i try to deinstall the default-kernel i get the msg:

preload-kmp-default needs kernel-default.

And then i’m getting informed there would be deinstalled:

• preload-kmp-default
  • vmware-guest-kmp-default
  • virtualbox-ose-guest-kmp-default
  • broadcom-wl-kmp-default

(I left the version numbers)

Now, i’ve fear to touch the broadcom because it was with some pain i got that working.

In case of the other kernels (to deinstall; -xen, -pae) when i mark them to be deinstalled, automatically the change to the same kernel as -base.

Any ideas out there? TIA

I’d like to do like you suggest, but how? As i said in previous posts when i try to deinstall the superfluous kernels with Yast it automatically activstes the default-version of the same kernel (or vice versa). Is there in Suse eventually something like the cleaning utility in debian?

I’d like to have my netbook as simple & quick as possible (not to be prompted on boot with a big quantity of options for example - rather zac . . . and go . . . :wink: ).

Oh - i’m on a Samsung N150 (Netbook), Suse 11.3 - Smeegol 1

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestion.

On 2010-12-19 09:06, Farinet wrote:

> I’d like to do like you suggest, but how? As i said in previous posts
> when i try to deinstall the superfluous kernels with Yast it
> automatically activstes the default-version of the same kernel (or vice
> versa). Is there in Suse eventually something like the cleaning utility
> in debian?

Let me see. You said you have this:

Code:

> kernel-default-2.6.34.7-0.5.1.i586 <==== remove
> kernel-desktop-2.6.34.7-0.5.1.i586 <==== leave
> kernel-default-devel-2.6.34.7-0.5.1.i586 <==== leave
> kernel-pae-2.6.34.7-0.5.1.i586 <==== remove
> kernel-firmware-20100617-2.2.noarch <==== leave
> kernel-desktop-devel-2.6.34.7-0.5.1.i586 <==== optional
> kernel-source-2.6.34.7-0.5.1.noarch <==== optional
> kernel-pae-devel-2.6.34.7-0.5.1.i586 <==== remove if possible
> kernel-xen-devel-2.6.34.7-0.5.1.i586 <==== remove if possible
> kernel-devel-2.6.34.7-0.5.1.noarch <==== optional
> kernel-xen-2.6.34.7-0.5.1.i586 <==== remove if possible

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)

Yes . . . But you didn’t get my problem (sorry, may be it wasn’t clear due to my english :wink: ):

When i try to uninstall (with Yast) let’s say kernel-default Yast automatically activates kernel-default-base - or vice versa. So, nothing really changes . . . And i’m asking if there is another way to uninstall superfluous kernels.

TIA

No certainly not an easy one

You want to remove kernel-default-base too.

On 2010-12-20 02:36, gogalthorp wrote:
>
> No certainly not an easy one
>
> You want to remove kernel-default-base too.

rpm command line.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Ok, i’ll try that way. I’m new to Suse (more used to “apt-get” :wink: but i presume there will be a manual on the commandline too . . . Thanks!

On 2010-12-20 13:06, Farinet wrote:
>
> Ok, i’ll try that way. I’m new to Suse (more used to “apt-get” :wink: but i
> presume there will be a manual on the commandline too . . . Thanks!

Yes, there is :wink:

Basically, it is “rpm --erase” probably with “–nodeps” if it complains.
You can give several rpms on the same line. However, if there are
dependencies issues, yast will try to fulfill them on the next run.

Another trick is to disable automatic dependency checks in yast, so that
you can click on all rpms you need to add/remove, and then click on checks
deps now at the end.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Unchecking the <Autocheck Dependencies> button in Yast did the job perfectly! Thanks a lot. :smiley:

Be sure to check it back the way it was now that You have uninstalled what You don’t need.

Best regards,
Greg

Thanks for that excellent advice (i didn’t do it without)!