Which graphics / video cards to avoid?

I’m currently shopping for a video card, and trying to figure out which ones won’t work well without a lot of tweaking. Like, should I avoid Nvidia? I’ve seen a lot of posts with people having problems with Nvidia cards.

For instance, I found this one to be a pretty great value:

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-R435OC-512I Radeon HD 4350 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

But I’m not sure how well it’ll work in Linux. I’m not wanting to do anything like try to play Crysis on the maximum graphics settings or anything, but I’d just like to be able to play TF2, Counter-Strike, KotOR, CoD… Basically the stuff that typically works pretty well in Wine, until I get Windows 7 for games.

Well actually nVidia works very well with Linux and would be my recommendation.
Never used ATI myself though.

If I were choosing nVidia I would say go for a reputable brand like XFX

Check here too:
HCL/All Video Cards - openSUSE

I run both ATI & Nvidia ‘cards’ and they’re both a PITA to configure for 3D - which I assume you’re asking about. They ALL work great in Vesa mode… but… yuck!

Anyway, I’ve read about all the supposed problems with Nvidia cards, but to tell you the truth, I think they’re easier to setup than ATI cards - and I’ve had less issues with Nvidia than ATI.

So, take your pick…

I might mention, whatever you buy… once you get your card setup and running, DO NOT update the video drivers unless you’re a masochist! Updates/upgrades, so called, can bork your video card setup in a blink of the eye. When you see all those warnings in YaST, believe them! :wink:

Go with Intel, they work (mostly) with 3d out of the box, but if you want to play any 3d games, always, ALWAYS go with Nvidia!

They are simple to setup, and openSUSE will automatically download and install the 3d driver once you are finished installing, are connected to the internet, and you run the updates.

But, the rule of thumb is that the latest and greatest cards will give you grief because they need time to get the drivers written and released. So instead of buying the $1000 gtx99000+ with mega-thrusters and hyperdrive flashing neon go-faster stripes, go for a slightly older model.

Everything else is just a waste of time!

This is true for older Intels. I see a lot of integrated Intels these days that are a true disaster.

Installing drivers for both NVidia and ATI is NOT a pain in the wellknown place. It’s different than on Windows, but there’s no 15 reboots, there are repo’s to install from, almost automatically.

All depends on what you want. Intergrated (Intel) will do, if you want performance pick NVidia or ATI.

Since the OP is looking for a card I don’t think intel is even an option, they only make intergrated graphics don’t they?

In general I’d say, a nvidia that isn’t the latest and greatest will be easy to install and work great. And indeed the openSUSE HCL would be the place to check to see which type

Are you ready to get your hands dirty? Would you like to have an eventful day hunting down a solution to a problem that you think should not exist? Do you feel adventurous? If the answer to all three is yes, then go ATI Radeon HD 4850. This represent good value for money in that it is fast, not too expensive and may cause all sorts of hair pulling when trying to configure it for 3D. Else, go with nVidia. They are easier to set up than ATI.

If you’re gonna go for low-mid range card then I’d say go for Nvidia. I had an MSI 8600GT which worked flawlessly on every distro I ever tried, installing 3D drivers was easy. I’m now running an ATI HD8500 which with many other distros I can’t even install with a graphical dispay, though thankfully it works ok with Opensuse, though not a well as the nvidia one. little probelms like my TV card crashing when using the xv driver, bzflag crashing when minimised, things like that which never happened with my 8600GT.

Thanks a lot for all the input, everybody. I think I will go with Nvidia, so that’ll mean a bit more browsing, and on more than just Newegg… I’ll include Tiger Direct, Amazon, and eBay in that, unless anyone has better suggestions for a store.

I can’t decide between these two:

Newegg.com - EVGA 256-P2-N429-LR GeForce 7200GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Newegg.com - EVGA 256-A8-N341-LX GeForce 6200 256MB 64-bit DDR AGP 8X Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

The older model seems to have slightly better reviews, but the newer model seems to have slightly better numbers… I don’t think I should flip a coin on this one.

You will need either PCI express OR AGP
Depends what you have on the Mobo

Ah, that’s pretty obvious; I’ve got PCIe. Thanks for pointing that out.

What about
Newegg.com - XFX PVT72SYANG GeForce 7200GS 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Low Profile Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Oh, I think I had skipped that one because it didn’t have reviews. It is apparently a good brand, though, and it’s just $5 extra for considerably more video memory…

Should I go for it?

Oh, and how do I tell the difference between PCI Express and regular PCI? My mobo apparently has one of each, and my tuner card seems to be plain ol’ PCI.

Look at you mobo the PCI express x16 is usually the first slot from the processor end and is BLUE. There is usually a locking tab at the rear end of the slot.

Ah, I see…

http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/productimage/13-131-046-04.jpg

Nice. Don’t have to move the tuner card like I thought I would. :smiley:

Though I may have to do some trimming on the case…

Thanks for your help! And again, thanks to everybody else for their input.

At the end of the day - it all depends on your needs. The card I posted has advantages to me, Fairly compact, No Fan, No extra power required.

It’s a good basic card. But if you need ‘Bells and Whistles’ - it’s not the one.

As for price to spec comparison I can’t say. I’m in the UK and even though I have a residence in the US, I just don’t keep tabs on all that. I tend to just watch out for rebate coupons that come with the St.Pete Times.:wink:

It’s a good card for me, at a great price. As I said in the first post, I’m not planning on doing anything real major with it. Well, at least I should be able to play KotOR with the max graphics settings now.