Which GPU is easier to work with Tumbleweed: ATI or NVIDIA?

General question, I have seen lots of installing NVIDIA drivers the hard way, but nothing really about installing ATI drivers the hard way. Does this mean that ATI is easier to use? I’d like to get an up-to-date video card, but don’t want to mess around with blacklisting, whitelisting, etc at the command line at start up. Thanks.

Hi
There is no ‘Hard Way’ with AMD GPU’s in Tumbleweed, at this point they don’t exist (no fglrx anymore and no amdgpu-pro available)… either radeon (Legacy) or amdgpu (GCN cards) drivers.

https://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/

I finally have support in Tumbleweed with the xf86-video-amdgpu 1.1.2 and 4.9.0.rc1 kernel for my Mullins R5 (GCN1.1).

Well, the “hard way” for NVIDIA based cards isn’t that hard. No more than following well documented instructions.

Thanks all for your comments. I was given an NVIDIA 970 and it didn’t play well with TW but works fine with Leap. Want to learn how to install those NVIDIA drivers the “hard way” for my learning. I don’t totally understand all the steps to do it. Are you also saying that the Nouvo drivers work with all the ATI cards? Thanks.

Hi
I find the hard way easy, with Tumbleweed though you could run into issues of patches required for the later kernels.

Just make sure you have the kernel devel pattern installed, switch to a VT (eg press ctrl+alt+F1), login as root user and run;

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-{your_version}.run -aq
or
chmod 0700 NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-{your_version}.run
./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-{your_version}.run -aq

The -a is accept license and just answer yes to questions. I would run without the -aq to start with, then you can decide which options to add.

On kernel updates, you need to rebuild the driver at multi-user (old runlevel 3). After a kernel update I useually reboot to this mode via;

systemctl set-default multi-user.target
./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-{your_version}.run -aq
systemctl set-default graphical.target
systemctl reboot

For Nvidia cards the OOS driver is nouveau, for ATI cards it’s radeon, for later cards you can use radeon or amdgpu.

Nouveau only is used with Nvidia . The AMD proprietary drivers are at the moment in some sort of transition with apparently none working at the moment.

The NVIDIA hard way is not really hard you just have to be sure you have the kernel header (development packages) and gcc installed.