Which Desktop Environment Do you use in openSUSE? (You can click more then one if applicable)

I have studied business marketing and based on my knowledge and studies, any company or even any person should focus on its strengths to be successful. if you read articles about SWOT analysis, you will find it.
ubuntu has focused on Unity but you can istall KDE or Gnome or … on it. openSUSE also can focus on KDE but any one can install Gnome, XFCE, … on it. focusing on one desktop doesn’t mean you cannot install other DEs.

On 09/04/2012 08:36 PM, ilAli wrote:
> I have studied business marketing

so have i, and neither yours nor mine taught strategies of successful
‘marketing’ of FREE software.

dd

focusing on one desktop doesn’t mean you cannot install other DEs.

However by that logic who is to say they already aren’t? The only way to know is to show that they have an even amount of commits to all the desktops or do they already focus a lot on one? I am sure this information is made public somewhere.

I’m not sure maketing studies are going to help you understand how the open source community is organized and the goals all the different people involved pursue.

That’s right… but after reading this other post of yours in the Gnome3 status thread - which unfortunately ended this thread - one might think that’s what you had in mind: http://forums.opensuse.org/english/other-forums/news-announcements/tech-news/458053-status-gnome3-opensuse-2.html#post2482206

On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 18:36:03 +0000, ilAli wrote:

> I have studied business marketing and based on my knowledge and studies,
> any company or even any person should focus on its strengths to be
> successful. if you read articles about SWOT analysis, you will find it.
> ubuntu has focused on Unity but you can istall KDE or Gnome or … on
> it. openSUSE also can focus on KDE but any one can install Gnome, XFCE,
> … on it. focusing on one desktop doesn’t mean you cannot install other
> DEs.

Such studies assume, though, that your resources can be reallocated. If
you take resources from “GNOME” you can assign them to “KDE”.

That is /not/ the case in the openSUSE project. If you decide not to
focus on GNOME, then those GNOME developers will go somewhere else - they
won’t work on KDE.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

I voted KDE since it is what I use on OpenSuSe. However, I also run Salix 13.37 with LXDE on an old laptop used mainly for surfing and gnome 2 with mint 7 on another, even older, laptop which I use for music (since I don’t really work on these machines I am to lazy to update. Moreover since they are pretty much single purpose the most important factor is a low memory footprint)

Focusing in target always is good. and if you read my previous post in this thread (#15) i have accepeted that openSUSE needs to work on Gnome alongside KDE.

as i said in #15, i am completely agree with you and i have accepted that. hands down!

I had to vote Gnome and KDE because I keep flipping back-and-forth like I can’t make up my mind (flavor of the release?).

Now that my system borked while upgrading from 12.1 to 12.2 I have to ask myself “which desktop environment”? I find parts I like in both!

What broke when you upgraded?

I’m not 100% sure… I let it run overnight while I slept :wink: This morning I could only boot somewhat into Failsafe and I cannot remember what it stopped at.

Do you know this:
For those upgrading to the new version, the developers note that some desktop components in 12.2 depend on services that systemd provides. Therefore, any user who is making use of the now deprecated and “probably even faulty or broken” sysvinit fallback support is asked to first run systemd before reporting bugs.

I agree on the necessity of virtual desktops: that said, I am willing to go along with KDE devs’ more excitable innovations so long as there remains an easy ( and clearly shown ) ability to disable or revert to the ancient ways.

And that they don’t enable various things that they think I need, but I don’t. ( Like various trackers… )

When they get rid of Classic Menu Launcher option, and the ability to move the taskbar skywards; then I’ll be outta here…

Just switched to LXDE but filled up the survey earlier. I like it as much as KDE although it’s faster :slight_smile:

I’m giving openSUSE 12.2 KDE a try for this month on my laptop and depending on how that goes I’ll either stick with it or try Gnome version instead. All-else fails I’ll go back to Unity or even Windows 7 for the time being.

I have a desktop I am going to set up as well and that I am planning on openSUSE 12.2 KDE. It’ll have 2 (17" CRT) monitors and I know the KDE version handles dual screens pretty well.

I just haven’t found one “fit” that I truly like yet. It could also be my computer. :wink:

Only a Few Hours Left to Vote for Your Favorite Desktop Environment Which You Use in openSUSE.
28-Sep-2012 at 11:41
This poll will close on 28-Sep-2012 at 11:41

Yeah, yeah, yeah.